Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Adepts of Weyard forums.

This is the community for The Adepts of Weyard, a Golden Sun fansite. People are welcome to hang out and chat with the rest of us.

The forum is moderated by a staff which participates fully in the community. The chat box is also moderated by the friendly local djinni.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, log in and join the party!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Garet; Based off of Beowulf
Topic Started: Jan 24 2013, 11:31 AM (727 Views)
Thorion
Traveler
I don't really have that much creativity when it comes to Golden Sun fan fics but I love to write stories so I feel that I'd be better off adapting classic stories with Golden Sun characters and settings. So I'm going to start with Beowulf with, you guessed it, Garet in the role of the hero.

The Coming of Garet

Long ago, in a part of Vale then known as Vault, there lived a great warrior called Garet. Legend tells that he had the strength of thirty men and a brave and noble heart.

When Garet herd of terrible troubles in Bilibin, he decided to help. Isaac, King of Bilibin, was a friend of his father's. With his companions, Garet set out across the land.

When they did come to Bilibin, they did not arrive unnoticed. A sentry rode down to them and demanded why they had come, uninvited and unannounced, wearing bright armour and sharp swords. Removing his helmet, Garet placed a hand over his heart to explain.

"We are loyal followers of Ivan, King of Vault. I am Garet, Son of Felix, whose name is known in many lands. We come to be of service to your king, Isaac, whom all know as a valiant and generous man. Even across the mountains, we have heard stories of the wondrous mead hall Isaac had built. And we have heard of the horrible darkness that has descended on that place."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

labouka
Member Avatar
Ruler of Black Holes
Interesting transition. Of course Garet would fit the brutal, macho and a wee bit not bright role right in. XD

Still though, Felix's son? Jenna won't be happy, fo' sho. XD

Thorion
Traveler
With a nephew like that would any aunt?

labouka
Member Avatar
Ruler of Black Holes
My thinking was geared more towards Flameshipping, but your point stands strong too. XD

Poor Jenna, having to be aunt to the big oaf of Golden Sun. XD

Thorion
Traveler
I'm more of a Valeshipper and Spikeydomeshipper myself.

labouka
Member Avatar
Ruler of Black Holes
I was expecting the Valeshipper part, but I'll be honest, Spikeydomeshipping was a surprise. It's not a very popular shipping, so it is surprising to see a fan of it. :D

(Still though, I can hardly imagine Sheba putting up with Garet. XD)

Thorion
Traveler
I'm full of surprises!

labouka
Member Avatar
Ruler of Black Holes
A promising young apprentice has joined the ranks of TAOW...this will be fun. >:D
*deviously rubs hands*

Thorion
Traveler
The Horror of Bilibin

"This is the tale, as it has come to us. When the great hall was first finished, it was a place of warmth and celebration. There your king gave gifts of gold, rings, ornaments, and bracelets, to his faithful men. But outside, in the shadows, there was one who hated the sound of men's joy and revelry. When all had fallen asleep, the creature crept up to the doors of the hall. The door was no barrier for the creature, whose name we have heard, is Piers. As the drowsing warriors jumped to their feet, the monster snatched one up. And swallowed him down. Before the others could do anything, he grabbed a score of them, fled, and was gone. For twelve long winters every time someone dares to stay the night in the hall, the creature returns. So, we have come from across the mountains to lend our aid, to end this Piers' menace."

Having heard Garet's story, the sentry saw that the warrior before him was honourable and so was his followers. The sentry guided Garet and his warriors to Bilibin but had to return to his post. However before leaving, he hoped that God would give his blessing to the task they had taken upon themselves.

As Garet and his warriors approached Bilibin they were halted by a watchman. "I am Kyle, Herald of Isaac, and you must answer to me. Who are you, that comes to the Hall of Isaac so boldly? Why are you here?"

"I am Garet, Son of Felix. I and those with me hold Ivan of Vault as our king. As for our purpose, I would tell that to King Isaac himself."

Like the watchman, the herald could see that the Vaults were worthy of trust. "Wait here. I will announce you to the king."

And so the brave herald went before his king. Sitting upon a thrown, Isaac's eyes lit up as soon as Garet's name was spoken. "Garet, you say? Son of Felix? I knew him when he was a boy! I have heard he has grown into a mighty warrior. Bid them enter so I can learn why he has come!"

The Vaults entered the hall. While the rest of the Vaults stopped in the middle of the hall, Garet walked a few feet further. He stopped and held up his sword in salute. "Hail, Isaac, great and generous king!"

"Welcome, Garet, son of my friend! Tales of your valour have arrived before you. Tell me, why have you come?"

"To do battle with Piers! To rid your great hall of the shadow looming over it. I have heard that the beast uses no weapons, so I will face Piers with my own bare hands. But should I fail and fall, I ask that you send back my armour to Ivan, my king."

Having heard Garet's reason, Isaac smiled as he thought of a time gone by. "Long ago, when my brother was king, your father came here seeking refuge. He had to leave your homeland because of a feud. But when my brother died and I took the throne, I was able to set things right, so he could return home. That was before I built this hall. Before Piers came and killed so many. Now you have come, a great warrior ready to slay the creature menacing my hall. We shall hold a feast in honour of your coming and toast your bravery."

One of Isaac's thanes, called Saturos, was jealous of the honours heaped on Garet. "So, you're the great hero, come to save us? I wonder, are you the same Garet that lost a swimming match to Alex? If you can't win a simple race, how is it you expect to defeat Piers?"

"It is true that Alex reached the shore first." explained Garet. "But only because I had to stop in the open waters and struggle against the sharp toothed monsters that would have slain us both. It was good that I swam with a sword in my hand. But I've heard no tales of your prowess, Saturos. Except that you killed your own brother in battle." Saturos fell silent and looked down at his plate in shame.

Impressed, Jenna, Queen to Isaac, looked at her husband. "My husband, I wish you joy and that our brave guest can rid our hall of the terror we have suffered. And you Garet! I thank the almighty for sending you here in answer to my prayers." After Garet had drunk deeply from the mead cup, Queen Jenna carried it to the others in the hall.

Isaac stood up. Instantly, all eyes were on him. "Before we go to the safety of our sleeping chambers, I pray god will protect our guests and bless their efforts."

Because the monster, Piers would have no armour, Garet sword he would wear none himself.

labouka
Member Avatar
Ruler of Black Holes
I'll be honest, I really find the approach you take renovating to the story, and the roles are verily handed nicely by the GS chars, but don't you think Agatio would be more fitting to the monster role, for obvious reasons? XD

As well as the other Proxians that are part of the cast. Perhaps you should stick them to purely antagonistic roles.

Thorion
Traveler
Was Aagtio a flat out villain? That's rhetorical, we all know the Proxian antagonists were tragic anti-villains. Also Grendel and his mother are descendants of Cain, a human being, thus wouldn't someone with a more human appearance be required? Also, did I not say that I'm full of surprises?
Edited by Thorion, Jan 30 2013, 06:15 PM.

Rialys
Member Avatar
Loyal Servant Magus

Thorion
Jan 30 2013, 05:57 PM
Was Aagtio a flat out villain? That's rhetorical, we all know the Proxian antagonists were tragic anti-villains.
Yeah, but Agatio did at one point mention that once Mars Lighthouse was lit he wanted Prox to conquer the world. So I'd say he's a little less tragic than the other antagonists, who never said anything about that, whatever Agatio's reasons might be.

On a different note, which translation of Beowulf are you basing this off? Also, while Grendel and his mother are humanoid, they're not human - they have distinctly monstrous characteristics. That they're described as the descendents of Cain is partially indicative of their monstrous nature; he's the first exile, and being an exile is basically the worst thing possible in Anglo-Saxon society. I wouldn't be surprised if other ostensibly lonely characters like Grendel and his mother existed in the texts we've lost, filling out antagonistic, monstrous roles because they have no place in society.

But hey, your fic, your rules. :)

labouka
Member Avatar
Ruler of Black Holes
Thorion

Also, did I not say that I'm full of surprises?
Indeed you did. That alone should have tipped me, regarding your choice.

Oh well, as Ria said, your pie, your slice. XD

Thorion
Traveler
Piers' mother will not be given a description. Why? In the same way that Grendel's mother got no description in the poem Beowulf it just causes the reader to wonder, to get their imagination going. But on with the show!

Piers

Out in the darkness, Piers was prowling. The sounds of celebration had reached his ears out in the dark fens that he called home. Hate filled his heart as he crept to the hall, and hunger rumbled in his gut. Inside, the Vaults slept and dreamed uneasy dreams. All but their leader.

Once more, the door to the hall was crushed by the creature. In the blink of an eye, he grabbed up Kraden before the man could even raise his sword. Without a thought Piers pulled the man apart. Not satisfied with his slaughter, Piers reached out once more. But this time he found no easy prey.

Piers did not fear the blades of Garet's men. He was enchanted so that no weapon could pierce his hide. But Garet's determination and strength filled Piers with fear. The timbers of the hall shook with the fury of their fight.

With all his might, Piers fought to free himself from the hero's hold. With one last desperate wrench, Piers pulled away. But Garet kept his grip. Piers knew he could not live much longer. Still, he tumbled from the hall, hoping to reach home.

When daylight came, news of Garet's victory brought men from far and near to see the truth for themselves. They followed Piers' tracks from the hall, wondering where he had run to. Before one, they traced him to the end of his trail. A lake that bubbled and steamed, surely it must have been Piers' foul blood that made the water like that. It must have been. And losing so much blood the monster couldn't have still lived. They took back the news, cheering for Garet and singing songs of his courage. Still, Garet was not quite content.

"I had hoped to have the whole creature to show, so you could be sure it was slain. But the wounded monster had fled to his lair." There was much regret in Garet's voice.

"There is proof enough that Piers has died. No living thing could survive such a wound." Isaac pointed at Piers' arm. It had been tied to a beam before Isaac's throne and there it would stay till the end of time. "So I thank God, who sent you to free us from the grief Piers brought on us." That night the king gave Garet gifts: horses and armour and a shining iron bound helm. The celebration lasted long into the night. "Come, I will show you to a chamber where you may rest more easily. With Piers gone, there is no need for you here." And with that Isaac lead Garet away from the hall. How certain the king was.

Thorion
Traveler
A Mother's Revenge

That night, the doorway stood empty. Everyone though the danger was gone. But when all were asleep, a shadow came creeping. Piers' mother came seeking revenge for her son. She knew that her strength and battle skill were not as great as Piers'. So she only snatched up one warrior and went on her way.

The next morning, Bilibin mourned, "His name was Babi. He was a good friend and a brave and faithful thane." lamented Isaac. "It is my fault he died. Over the years, many have seen two creatures stalking in the fogs of the fens. Piers was one. The other we guessed was his mother. I should have known she would come, seeking vengeance for what you had done."

Garet placed a hand on Isaac's shoulder. "Since it was my deed that brought her, it is up to me to hunt her down. I swear that I will!" Then Garet and his men belted their blades over bright armour and rode out to hunt the she-beast. With them went Isaac and some of his thanes. They came to the lake where Piers had escaped into to die. "Into the lake Piers' mother has gone. Into the lake I must follow." Then one of the thanes asked if Garet would shed his armour to make swimming easier. "In a lake like this, there are surely all manner of foul serpents. My mail may keep me safe from their fangs.

Then Saturos, ashamed of his insult to Garet, came forward with a sword. "Wait! Let me offer you this. Its name is Shamshir. It is an old and famous blade. None who have borne it have ever failed in battle."

"I will do my best to bring it glory." Garet then turned to face Isaac. "Good King Isaac, generous giver of gifts, I ask that if I do not return, you send what you've given me back to Ivan, my king. Take care too of these friends who have followed me to your land." Then Garet dove deep into dark waters. Garet was right about the sharp-toothed serpents, but his armour turned back their teeth. Finally, far below, he found the hole where Piers' mother must have gone. His lungs burned for breath, but he swam on. Finally, he found air. And he found more than that, Piers' mother! When she saw Garet, strong enough to swim down to her home, she knew he was the one who had killed her son. Even Shamshir, that sharpest of swords, could not harm her. Throwing the sword aside, Garet struggled to fend off her claws and tearing teeth. The hero was stronger. But the old she-beast was both quick and crafty. Though she was safe from sharp blades, she knew he was not. But again his armour saved him. Then the glint of a golden hilt caught his eye. It belonged to a mighty sword forged by giants. Who knows how it had come there? In a moment, Garet snatched it from the wall! Piers' mother knew that her enchantment would not stop the giant's sword. Garet killed her. But her blood ate at the blade. Then Garet saw Piers' body in the corner. "Now I will have real proof that Piers is dead." Garet hewed off his head. Piers' blood was even fouler than his mother's. It burned the blade away. Thrusting Shamshir back in his belt, Garet took his prizes in hand to take back to the king. When Garet emerged from the lake there was joyous shouts of his return. "And I bring treasures! One more gruesome than the other." All hailed Garet with joy. Burdened with the monster's skull, they headed home to Bilibin. With both monsters dead, the shadow of fear finally lifted forever from the hall. "To you, King of Bilibin, I give this ancient treasure as proof of my pledge. Both monsters lie dead, never to haunt this hall again."

"We give our thanks, Garet, greatest of heroes." Isaac rises from his throne. The sixty-four year old king placed a hand on the shoulder of his junior by thirty-six years. "You have done what we could not, freeing us from fear. May you live all your life with the same courage and good faith you have shown here."

With that, Garet turned his thoughts toward home. "To you, Saturos, I give thanks for letting me borrow the great blade Shamshir. Though it could not wound Piers' foul mother, it is still a wondrous war friend. And to you Isaac, I promise you that if you ever need my help, you have only to send word."

"You have already done more than I can ever repay. I only hope that your own people realize your worth. If you outlive Ivan and his heir, the Vaults could choose no better king than you." So said a wise king.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fanfiction · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: