Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Imythess, the border between dreams and reality. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Imythess is a creative writing board where you narrate the story of a character in the medieval land of Imythess, on the planet Chaon. Each topic is an opportunity for your character to interact with the world and its peoples by cooperatively writing pieces of a story with other members, one post at a time. We call this role-playing, because you assume the identity of your character as if it were your own.

In order to play, you must register an account for each character you would like to write about, and begin their tale by filling out their basic profile information: Race (human, elf, demon, etc.), class (warrior, mage, etc.), physical appearance, and any other personal details you would like to describe. You are also encouraged to come up with some background history information for what your character's life has been like up to the point at which their story in Imythess begins.

There is no approval process or application required to join, so long as you follow the rules then you are free to write whatever character details you choose. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Create a character now!

If you're already a member, you can log into your account below:

Username:   Password:
The Unsuspecting Mage (Open to at least one other)
Topic Started: Mon May 28, 2018 6:36 am (209 Views)
James Reese
Member Avatar

James had gone out of his house for the first time in a few days. There was Medieval Festival in town. And being the nerd he was he could not resist going. It was in some secluded wood outside the general vicinity of the small Southern town he was from. He had dressed in an appropriate attire at least somewhat. He had on a leather jerkin over a white shirt with puffs on the end of the sleeves. He wore tight leather breaches, and high skin leather boots. To top if off he wore a cap with a feather on top.

People would call him a pop-in-jay. He had ridden with a friend to the spot. His friend went to park their ride and James went on by himself. A stupid decision because he had quickly gotten lost. Soo he was in a part of the forest he did not recognize. In fact it did not look like the woods around home at all. He could not smell the peanut dust in the air nor could he hear the tractors in the difference.

Yep he was lost for sure. Now how to get back. And without making it seem like he got lost at all. He went North at least what he thought was North. He heard something in the distance and went toward it. Another stupid decision. Because soon he ran into a small pack of wolves. Wolves here that did not seem possible. Coyotes he would have expected but not wolves. He got out his walking stick made of bamboo that doubled as a quarterstaff.

He never had to use it and hoped he didn't have to. As he backed away slowly. That wasn't slow enough. The wolves noticed him and they bounded after him. He yelled," Shit, somebody help me".
Offline Profile Quote To Top

Marie Thlydd
Member Avatar

The forest of Norwood was a common enough place, at least when compared to most of the rest of the multiverse. Admittedly, it was rather thick for most forests; light barely reaching to the floor and part of her felt it would be more worth it to use a flame to light the way, and the roots raised above the ground made traversing it difficult but other than that it bore little real... character, beyond what made it a forest on Imythess.

A light-haired woman with grey eyes sat resting on one of those raised roots, her back resting against another root where she was lounging. Marie enjoyed the silence of the forest, it was nice to just simply be with one's thoughts.

Imythess seemed to be a world of many things and places, all of which gave it charm and made the world annoying. She was not sure how long she would remain here, there was little real reason to stay. At the same time, there was little reason to go.

Pausing, she sat up as the planeswalker heard the sounds of wolves nearby and something else.

'Someone is crying for help?' she turned, jumping down from the roots and darted towards the noise in the distance. As she burst through shrubs and grasses she found a boy; he was younger than her it looked like, and very much in trouble as the wolves made a move towards him.

Tearing forwards between them, she reached out to the mana of the world around her and pulled it to her. Her eyes glowed emissive red, as she drew her hands from each other, her index and middle finger held together in a pointing fashion as she struck forwards with her power, sending a bolt of lightning charging forwards towards the largest of the wolves.

Flying backward the feral canine gave a pained whimper, shaking itself and limping to its paws. She quickly drew her blades from their sheathes at the small of her back standing before the boy.

"Stay behind me!" the light-haired woman ordered.

Another wolf struck her from the side, she caught it on the side of the head with the flat of the blade of her knife; sending it reflexing backward and another pair growled at her.

She answered back by drawing one blade across the other sending another bolt of lightning toward them; it struck the ground before them and the small pack yelped back.

She stood strong before them as they growled and finally the large one she hit turned tail and the rest joined it in retreat, the battle far too much risk than reward.

Nodding as they were out of sight she turned to the man. He looked younger than her, and likely lost. But there was something else, his clothes didn't look much like what you would find here in the Norwood area... or Charon.

"Are you alright?" she asked looking him over for wounds and, to herself, emblems of allegiance.

James Reese
Member Avatar

James felt fear gut clenching fear. It was something he never knew and now he might never know it again. Because no one heard his scream for help or so it seemed. His life flashed before him it was a life not well lived. To many hours spending time on things that did not matter to anybody. Nothing constructive or helpful. He would be missed yes but it would be unremarkable. He closed his eyes and prepared to meet his maker.

Then a woman came into the clearing where he was. His hope grew but what could one woman do against a pack of wolves. His question was soon answered. But the answer was impossible. For lighting shot out of her hand toward the lead wolf. His mouth dropped in disbelief. There was no such weapon that could do that. He had seen no weapon at least. Then how in the hell did she do that.

His Rp mind said magic but that was equally impossible. There was no magic at least no real magic. The woman spoke saying stay behind her. Yet the wording was odd as was the way she said it. James did as told and got behind her but held up his staff just in case. Another wolf charged and this got hit in the side of the head with a dagger. Then the woman sent another bolt of lightning. Then she stood tall and unbowed against them.

It was a glorious thing to behold. He had read of heroes and stuff but this woman looked like one. Then the wolves ran and James sighed in relief. The woman then asked if he was alright. He studied her she looked odd, she was a woman, but odd. Her hair was light blonde, her eyes as grey as stone. She was shorter than him and years older. She also had a leather breast plate that did not look like it came from any medieval style store.

In fact it looked like the actual deal. And the way she carried herself this was no woman from anywhere he knew of. He said putting on his best Southern Accent," Yes mam I am fit as a fiddle. Thanks for the save. I probably woulda kicked the bucket if you hadn't come along". He then said," By the way what the hell was that? That lightning you shot out of your hand? I know of no weapon that can do that. Your not Special OPs are you and now have to kill me for seeing that? Cause I'll keep quiet."

Marie Thlydd
Member Avatar

Marie tilted from side to side as the boy spoke with an accent that was definitively not from around Norwood, or anywhere on Imythess for that matter.

"Well, I am glad that you aren't hurt." she smiled as she finished looking him over. The boy was younger than she was, by at least a decade or so. And that difference in age was apparent.

The boy seemed immature, at least in attitude if not appearance, after all, who would wander Norwood in the outfit he bore? It made him look like some dandy prince who ran away from home to be a hero.

Please don't let that be the case, she mused to herself.

"Easy boy. You aren't out of the woods yet." she shook her head. "My name's Marie, by the way. Marie Thlydd."

He stammered a question of her use of lightning spells, turning she looked him over again wondering. He didn't seem too out of sorts; at the same time, he held the appearance of someone who did not fit in.

He asked if she was Spec Ops, an interesting choice of a statement.

She narrowed her eyes as she put a finger to her lips and looked him over again. The material seemed high quality for any ordinary person to gain without a lot of money or ability.

That, his comment and his accent- she thought to herself.

"That accent...Where are you from?" she asked.

James Reese
Member Avatar

The woman said he was not out of the woods yet. Yes his thanks might have been premature but he was still grateful all the same. James replied," My God you mean this isn't Hotlanta. I would have never realized". He smiled at his joke but perhaps it was not appropriate to the situation at hand. Bad timing as usual and good way to throw a pretty girl off the trail. James looked ashamed and said," Sorry bad timing on the joke. Stuck my foot in my mouth again. You'll have to forgive me sometimes I have no filter."

The woman introduced herself as Marie Thlydd. The last name was odd and he would have said European. Perhaps Scandinavia but he had a hard time judging most names by country origin. He bowed taking his hat off his head twirling as he bowed like a real dandy he saw in a movie. He replied," James Reese milady at your service. Most folks just call me James though." He then righted himself and smiled his most dashing smile which failed horribly. In fact it looked rather corny. Another good way to chase off woman for a nerd like him.

Marie then commented on his accent as well as asking him where he was from. Danny said putting for his countrified accent," Well mam its a Southern Accent. And Im from right round chere. Yep good ole Southern Georgia. How bout y'all? Y'all dont sound from round these parts yerself"?

[Pronuncitaion: Southern [Suu-thirn] Accent [Ax-sent]Georgia [Joe-ga] Chere [Cheer] Thought it might help cause I couldn't fidn a good way to spell it]

Edited by James Reese, Wed May 30, 2018 4:26 am.

Marie Thlydd
Member Avatar

The boy, as it was quickly becoming apparent that he very much was, made a joke about not being in 'Hotlanta' any longer. The corner of her mouth twitched, 'Hotlanta,' she thought, 'I've never heard of that place before. I'm just not sure if it is a plane or a place in a plane.'

He must have noticed her flat noting of his tone and apologized about his pale imitation of a joke. She nodded; "Quite." she replied as he seemed to gain a more serious demeanor. At least his attitude was heading in something resembling the right direction.

His introduction seemed moderately contrived, less natural and more an act. He introduced himself as James Reese, a name as unknown to her as Hotlanta, and claimed to be from a place called Georgia.

Pinching the bridge of her nose she nodded. "I see," she said.

"James, huh?"
She said finally looking at him. "I will give you the fact that I am not from the area around here." She replied as she got ready for the big hammer. Someone had to set the kid straight.

"But we aren't in Suthern Joe-ga," she added mimicking his accent, albeit much softer. "We're in Norwood Forest, about three miles southeast of Norwood Lake."

James Reese
Member Avatar

The woman almost cracked smile at his joke. Almost but that was better than nothing. Still something seemed off she had shown no other recognition of what he was talking about. Perhaps she wasn't from the U.S. and did not know about Atlanta. The woman accepted his apology though readily enough. James needed to learn some self control. Of course he had always usually acted on impulse.

A thing that usually got him in trouble. Like being in this forest for instance. The woman then said she was not from around here. He was right about that then. However there seemed to be a big but waiting to happen. He was right there as well. What she said next was so off the wall even the most seasoned of LARPers would have been astounded. Yet he could not tell she was lying or she might be covering up something.

He looked around indeed this did not look like any part of South Georgia that he knew. The wolves, the strange woman so out of place. And that lightning no it could not be. Yet it was. He looked at her his eyes wide with astonishment and perhaps fear. He was no longer home and he had no sure way of getting back that he knew. James said his voice wavering," Your being serious, dear God you are serious. That's... that's impossible. You mean to tell me I am not in the United States no more and that I am in this Forest that I have never heard of possibly some million miles away from home".

He sat down barely able to stand and started shaking with fear and possibly disbelief. James said," I can't believe it. Its impossible. This is like something out of fantasy or science fiction. In reference to possibly one of the greatest lines of all time. Am I not in Kansas any more?"

Marie Thlydd
Member Avatar

James balked and gasped, his eyes widened and searching the area as he listened to what she was explaining.

He spun around, finally, it seemed, to be taking in his surroundings. His eyes showed no recognition of where they were and the landscape around them was obviously different from where he was expecting it to be.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what "United States" is." she replied as he seemed to topple to the ground. Catching him she helped him ease down and knelt beside him. "Easy, James. Easy. Take a breath." she replied trying her best to help the kid out. He was panicking and made a comment about Kansas. She ignored it and nodded.

"Yes. You are currently in Norwood forest, on the contenent of Imythess. Does anything I just told you ring a bell?" she asked as she eyed him and thought of something else. A memory long ago.

"James.Before you saw the wolves; where were you? What were you doing? What can you remember before you found yourself here?" She asked setting her hands on his shoulders. "I can try and help you solve this. I know some things about magic and such. I might be able to help you but you have to calm. down." She said. "Now. Clearly. Take your time. What do you remember from before you came here?"

James Reese
Member Avatar

James was reeling from all of this. It was something out of a dream or maybe a nightmare. He had fantasized about other worlds. Being in them, living in them. He would have never actually thought to be in one. Everything he knew might be gone. His home his life what there was of it anyway. Not that there was much. This hit him like a hammer. He would never see his family again, never feel the red clay beneath his feet, never smell the peanut dust on the air. On the other hand no gnats.

He would have found that funny if he weren't so distressed. The woman said she had no idea what the United States was. When he toppled she tried to Soothe him. She said he was on a continent named Imythess. No such continent existed on Earth. He wasn't just not in the U.S. but he might not be on earth. He said," Jesus Christ, your telling me I might not even be on the same planet anymore. That's what it sounds like because no such continent exists on Earth. Good lord what brought me here aliens". She would have no idea what that meant but he did not care he was in to much shock.

The woman asked what he was doing before the wolves. Saying magic might be involved somehow. Magic did not exist on his world though. He steadied his breathing trying to calm himself. Outwardly calm he said," There was a Medieval Festival in town. We don't get those much. Me and a buddy went to it. While he parked the car I went into the forest it was in like a dummy by myself. I walked for a good while when I noticed I was off the path. I tried to find my way back. Then I heard noise and I figured it might be other people. That's when I ran into the wolves. And then into you. I don't understand though magic doesn't exist in my world. It all fantasy, myth and legend not real. How could I end up in a world with magic if I am from a world without?".

His fantasy mind said it was possible. His religious mind said it was possible. However the scientific nerdy part said while possible it was highly highly unlikely. The rest screamed against the impossibility.

Marie Thlydd
Member Avatar

Marie paused as James seemed to grasp the truth of his situation.

She felt sympathy, how long ago was it that she, too, had found herself in another place far from home? Unlike himself, it was a while before she realized what had happened to her and the truth of her Spark. It did not seem, however, that James bore one. At least not the way she did if he did indeed possess the spark of the planeswalker.

She knelt and patiently listened to his rambling gasps. Her eyes did not seem to be mocking or hasty as he took his time and calmed himself and spoke his story. He was from a place called 'Earth.' There was no magic in such a place and he was going to a Festival of some sort in town. He was brought here by unknown means by unknown motives.

She paused and considered his words before nodding. "I see." She said pausing in contemplation for a moment. "My most logical thought is that you somehow managed to move not from planet to planet but between planes of existence. The difficulty is how you came to do such a thing."

She looked up at the leaves canopy above them. "The simplest answer is that there was a rift or bleeding between the Plane of Earth, and this one, Charon. It's rare, and difficult to do unintentionally but the chances are not zero," she replied. "There are other answers, but in a world, with no magic and no chaos around it the options of why you got here how you did are very limited."

James Reese
Member Avatar

James couldn't really understand what was going on. Was he really on another planet? Or even just another plane of existence. An alternate universe, that was all sci-fi but he was here for real. And he had no idea how to get back. And why had he come here why him? He was no hero, no great wizard. He was just a simple man.

The woman explained most of his thoughts that he had. Yet it still did little to comfort him. He had no way home. No way back that he knew of. He doubted he would ever find one. James said," It's like something out of a book or even a movie. This doesn't happen in anything except those. Maybe this is all a dream. I fainted in the woods from lack of water or something and this all some crazy dream like from the Wizard of Oz.". He pinched himself but he did not wake. This was real and was no dream.

James then said," This is real. This is no dream. I just I just don't know what to do". The woman then explained some more on somethings and James nodded and replied," I have read of such things but it was always fiction or fantasy, something that never really happened. Scientists I guess you would call them scholars theorized that it was possible but had no proof. At least till now and I doubt if I ever got back they would believe me".

Marie Thlydd
Member Avatar

Marie leaned back as James seemed to take it in and have a panic attack. She let him go on and fret for a little bit before he finally accepted that this was no dream or hallucination. He was really there, before her, in the forest of Norwood on Charon. Now the problem was, how would he get home, and where would he go.

She sighed as he finally understood.

"It's okay, James." she smiled. "I... know how you feel. And they may not. Surely no one back home would believe me." she mused. "I... I am a Planeswalker, James."

She turned to him. "I am a being who journeys from world to world." She explained. "What you just did, I do all the time. Though not as spontaneous and random as you have. I know what it is like having so many questions, to not know what to do next and to feel that this is all a dream, but it isn't. You are here, on Imythess in Norwood. I can help. But you need to start calming down."

She looked him over. "First, at least for my unasked for advice." she began. "We need to get you out of Norwood. Into the cities where you can get some decent clothing. A real weapon, maybe armor or something. Depending on what you can do for skills you might be able to get employment somewhere. There's a need for coin no matter where you go."

She shifted. "I'd also say, we need to get you into knowing where you are. You need a lesson about this world if you are going to survive. And... maybe lessons if that staff is going to be your only weapon."

"So... where do you want to begin? Getting out of the forest will take time. I can do either location or weapons lessons in the interim. Which would you want first?"

James Reese
Member Avatar

The woman said she not of this world either. A Planeswalker whatever that was. She might be in the same boat as he. He wondered if there might be others then from his world here. Maybe there was a chance to get home. A little hope there but maybe a false one. The woman then explained what a Planeswalker was. She had a chance to get back then where he might never. Obviously her skills worked on this worlds rules.

Whatever this worlds rules were. Nothing like his own that was for sure. James said," You can go home though can't you. You have the choice. I did not, I do not. Will I ever make it home again? Will I forever be like Dorothy but this time no magic slippers to get me home? I.... I am sorry. I am clam its just all FUBAR right now." The woman then said they needed to get out of here. She said what he would need.

He replied," I have no skills of use at least not for this world or even for mine. None of real use anyway. A bunch of useless facts and knowledge. And I have no skill for weapons. This staff or Me Ole Bamboo is not worth much in a fight. Though who knows if the travel changed that. The only other way I can think to make money is with this." He pulled the lute he had carried with him from home.

He strummed a few strings expertly. A useless skill for his world but maybe not for this one. James said," I can play this quite well. And I was part of the Drama Club back home so I can act and perform". The woman then spoke on lessons about the world. He thought and said," Locations would be better I think and information about the world. I can avoid learning to fight for now. Though it may come later. I know a few tricks from my world already with the staff so that should see me through till I need to learn better".

Marie Thlydd
Member Avatar

Marie paused as the boy said she could return home.

She laughed. It was a laugh that was anything but humor. It held no light or happiness and was filled with cynicism.

It was the sort of laugh one gave by reflex in order to not punch someone.

"No." she shook her head, her smile as dark and black as night. "No James. I cannot go home."

Her eyes went far off as she listened to him cry out in anguish and hystaria. She knew the boy meant no harm in his words. He didn't know how she ignited, or why or anything from it. He was just a child away from home.

She nodded as she pushed herself up. "Come on then. We've idled here too long. We can speak and move at the same time."

After a bit she gestured. "As I've already spoken to you of, this where we are is Norwood Forest. It's the natural homeland of the Elves. Northeast of where we are." She pointed in a direction. "Is the Norwood lake. Norwood, in its whole is ruled over by the Elves of Norwood Kingdom. They are a bit private and don't like outsiders but as long as we take care we likely won't run into trouble. They understand the difference between travelers apssing through and people trying to poke their nose into something."

She considered for a moment. "There Are several City-states in Imythess, the continent where we currently stand."

"North of us is Striberg, noted for it's mage academy it is also located in the largest iceberg in known existence. West of here is Taras, an entire Megaopolis. It's all one large city that is a state unto itself. East is Balefire, a land as spooky and dark as it sounds. Most people there are of the gruff rough crowd. "

"South is Kellen, a plains land that is based on several families of Clans, its more or less what you would imagine a plain dotted with villages a large distance apart to be."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Norwood Forest · Next Topic »

Top RP SitesVote for Imythess at Top Site List Planet
Top Site Lists
Misty Woods created by Helena & Cory of ZNR