Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Imythess, the border between dreams and reality. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Imythess is a creative writing board where you narrate the story of a character in the medieval land of Imythess, on the planet Chaon. Each topic is an opportunity for your character to interact with the world and its peoples by cooperatively writing pieces of a story with other members, one post at a time. We call this role-playing, because you assume the identity of your character as if it were your own.

In order to play, you must register an account for each character you would like to write about, and begin their tale by filling out their basic profile information: Race (human, elf, demon, etc.), class (warrior, mage, etc.), physical appearance, and any other personal details you would like to describe. You are also encouraged to come up with some background history information for what your character's life has been like up to the point at which their story in Imythess begins.

There is no approval process or application required to join, so long as you follow the rules then you are free to write whatever character details you choose. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Create a character now!

If you're already a member, you can log into your account below:

Username:   Password:
A Demon and a Dragon (Pvt. Stranger. Pm to enter)
Topic Started: Sat Apr 7, 2018 3:44 pm (227 Views)
Arthur
Member Avatar

Boots crunched against the forest floor as the man came to a stop. The man was tall and many a woman would call him handsome with his rugged good looks and his strong muscles. Yet he was a warrior of that one could be sure. Whether it was the heavy plate he seemed to wear with ease, or the sword at his side or just his walk there could be no doubt. Of course, one would need to be in this place.

The forest loomed in darkness almost brooding. Something lurked here, something dark and foreboding. Not that it mattered to Arthur, he was not here for the unnaturalness the forest had taken on. He was here for another reason. He was here to hunt down one of the most elusive plants ever known. The Essis Root. A root found only in certain places able to either enhance or counter the effects of necromacy depending on the use. Demons know how to use it to corrupt mortal bodies instantly.

Arthur was here to get said root.There was a contract on some of the root that had been too good to pass up. Arthur figured he could do it easily enough. A skilled tracker as well as his dragon sense of smell would make it easier.

Arthur sniffed the air trying to catch the scent of the plant.It had particular scent. A branch snapped in the distance and Arthur crouched drawing his blade. The forest was dangerous to the unwary. Arthur was not unwary and one did not challenege a dragon even a half one lightly.
Offline Profile Quote To Top

D Manning
Member Avatar

D knew he'd gotten in over his head this time. Maybe it had been a huge mistake to try to fit in with the other Demons of Taras. After all D was a Soul Harvester Demon not a normal demon. Not only that now he was a freak.

Stupid Archmages and their stupid spells. One had summoned him and asked him to perform a relatively simple task and had offered a paltry womans soul in return. Almost offended D had refused and tried to take out the Archmage. In the ensuing battle there was a magical explosion and D had been flung from the tower. When he woke up he realized he had a problem. One of the souls or maybe a combination of the two was now part of him. Here he was. A Soul Harvester Demon with a soul.

Trying to hide in Taras wan't working and he'd eventually been put into a situation he couldn't extricate himself from. Other Demons had approached him and told him if he wanted to prove he wasn't like his kin go get Essis Root.

D knew what it was of course and why any Demon currently in Taras wanted it was beyond him. That root could be used to instantly corrupt a mortal soul and D was quite familar with how to do such a thing.

Suddenly D froze in place.

A twig to his left snapped and D saw a creature looming in the Shadow. As the thing leapt D knew a fight was on but it had the upper hand. He sighed internally and muttered the only phrase in his head.

"Aw, crap."

Arthur
Member Avatar

Arthur heard a voice once the twig snapped, as well as the snarl and gnashing of teeth. Arthur charged into the gloom. He saw one of the giant Calmonah Wolves tackling a huge man. Without hesitation Arthur barreled into the wolf knocking it off the man. The wolf bigger than the both of them snarled as it came to its feet. Its yellow eyes stared hunger and hate at Arthur. Arthurs dragon like eyes stared back. He brought up his blade ready for the creatures lunge.

Calmonah wolves were highly dangerous. This one a male by the size would be especially so. Highly territorial creatures and aggressive. This would be a good fight and over to quick. The beast lunged and Arthur ducked and slashed with his sword. The beast cried in pain but was not dead. It landed as Arthur twisted around. Blood flowed from the creatures side it was no major wound normally but Arthurs blade had cut deep. The creatures stared death at Arthur.

Death for taking its meal, death for hurting it. Arthur knew no fear though. He was death. The creature came at Arthur again from the side. It swiped its paw at him but only returned with half of it. Arthur did not look at the man he was saving, he did not know if the man was alright. For Arthur it was only him and the wolf in the dance of death. The creature lunged at him again its jaws open wide and Arthur dropped down on his knees and thrust the blade up.

Not a sound could heard but breathing after that. The wolf lay impaled on his sword. Arthur pushed the beast off him and drew out his sword and wiped the blood off it. He sheathed the sword and looked to the one he had helped. Arthurs hand immediately went back to his sword when he saw it was a demon. He said," Well shit".
Edited by Arthur, Sat Apr 7, 2018 4:18 pm.

D Manning
Member Avatar

The last thing D had expected was for a random person to come charging through the woods to his rescue. He figured his number was punched once the wolf had leapt at him. Then out of nowhere this man had run out of the wood and killed the thing dead with a surprising amount of skill and ease.

D brushed himself off and spit to the side. Then he saw the hand reach down to help him up. D reached out for it and the man suddenly recoiled and his hand went back to his blade. Looking at him D could see the unformed word on his lips. "DEMON!" Instead the man looked at spoke a single phrase.

"Aw, shit."

D shook his head and picked himself up off the ground. He looked the man up and down realizing that without his full Demonic power he stood no chance against this man. Still he was who he was and backing down from someone just wasn't in his nature. He kept his eyes locked on the man and quickly used his Minor healing spell to heal some of the claw marks on himself. Still staring right at them man D snorted at him.

"Thanks for the save but I had it. Also you're staring. What are you looking at, Junkface? Like the horns do ya?"

Arthur
Member Avatar

Really he had to go and save a demon. A bloody damned demon that was just great. Not that all demons were bad there were a few good ones. Arthur had met a few of them but the reputation was there. Kinda like dragons really in that regard. Still a demon. The demon spoke and Arthur replied," Uh huh. And I am the King of Norwood. Can't help it never saved a demon before. Usually I have to save someone else from a demon. So this is a first for me. Also the names Arthur. Not Junkface. Whats yours? He Who Is Eaten By Wolf." Arthur smirked at that but was not at ease.

Arthur then looked to the wolf and whistled softly. He said," Nice size on him to. A Loner to or there would have been the pack. Your lucky if there had been the pack there would have been pieces of you over there, over there and over there". He pointed to make his point. He then went over the wolfs body as if making mental notes. Arthur ran his hand along the wolf and then looked into his mouth.

Arthur then said," About 3 years still in his prime. Territory was about three or four miles I would say. Bad luck running into him that. Good luck me running into you". Arthur nodded and then looked to the demon and said," So no wrath, No hell fire. No pitiful man creature I will kill you for your insolence".

D Manning
Member Avatar

D looked at the man and shook his head. It was obvious the man didn't believe or trust him and who could blame him. Demons weren't the nicest of types and even the ones in Taras were......tempermental. Therefore it was logical to assume this man would think he was evil. How was he to know about the soul?

"Nah. More's the pity too. I know that's what your lookin' forward to but you won't find it here. No time for it either. Buggers in the demon community sent me out here on what they figure is a suicide mission. I need Essis root. As for my name....you couldn't possibly pronounce it. Just call me D."

D looked the man up and down. He was definatly a warrior and D was nervous about maybe fighting him. He knew he wasn't at his best and it was going to take him some time to get himself back to any semblence of his old power. He knew he still had a mean right hand but in the end against a trained warrior he felt slower than he used to. Slower, weaker, and much more vulnerable. Still if he was lucky as the man suggested maybe there was an oppertunity here.

"Can't imagine too many reasons why someone would be here. I'd say you may be looking for the same thing. Tell you what.....split it with me and we can work together. I know that working with a Demon may be against your grain but I am not your average demon bud
What do ya say?"

Arthur
Member Avatar

The demon did not take offense. Arthur almost laughed at that when the demon replied. Arthur was not looking for a fight with the demon anyway. It was just fun messing around with him. Besides if a fight were to happen it would have already done so. The demon had also explained why he was here and who he was. He was also after Essis Root but a suicide mission from other demons. He wondered what type of demon this demon was.

Arthur nodded and said," A pleasure D. I figured if you wanted a fight it would have already started. Just testing. Didn't much want one though I did get one with that". He pointed to the wolf. The demon spoke wondering why Arthur was here. He also proposed they join forces in the search. Arthur looked at him unbelieving. Join forces with a demon. Arthur had done worse.

Arthur replied," Yeah I am after the root as well. Good money in it. I guess we could join together. Would be fun". Arthur stuck out hand said," Glad to have your help".

D Manning
Member Avatar

D looked at the man with a bit of gratitude. It was almost a foreign feeling to his mind but somewhere else it was a comfort. Finding the Essis root would difficult but now it would be much easier. He knew deep inside that he wasn't anywhere close to the power he should have. He also wondered what these Demons wanted with the Essis root. It could only be something bad. Beyond that he knew that obtaining this root wasn't going to be as easy as they made it sound. A trap was more up their ally but now he had a trump against that.

"Thanks for the help. You, however, should know something. Those that sent me here probably don't expect me to come back. However, they aren't stupid. They're going to hedge their bets. Expect a trap near the root."

He considered telling this man about his demon type but it would hardly matter. At this point he needed Arthur's help too much and thought that perhaps too much chat would only dampen the mood and drive him away. Much easier to be quiet and listen. If Arthur had any questions he would certainly answer them but for now it would be much easier to keep his trap shut.

"Lead on then, Arthur."

Arthur
Member Avatar

The demon thanked him for his help. Arthur only shrugged it was nothing. Besides the big guy might mean some fun for Arthur. The demon said the demons that sent him here might have set traps. To be expected he guessed if it was what the demon said it was. Arthur did not worry about it. He would have expected something like that. Rare things were often guarded. Arthur replied," Traps I could expect nothing less. Items like the Essis Root are rare and often guarded quite voraciously. We might come upon something more dangerous than that though".

The forest was not friendly. He would not have trusted a chipmunk here. The brooding changed things like the wolf for instance. Then the demon told Arthur to lead on. Arthur nodded and took the lead. As they walked Arthur kept a wary eye out for anything that might prove dangerous. He also kept an eye out for the plant that grew the root. He said to the demon," Don't see Demons much out in the wild. This group that sent you here must be a real party to hang out with. What type are they? Why would they send you on a suicide mission? Must have done something. Demons only do that kind of thing when they know it will be worth it both ways".

That was his general experience with them anyway. Arthur bent down to the ground and felt the soil. To dry, they needed to get further in where it was damper. Arthur said," I have run into a few demons. Nasty chaps most of them. Though there was Izaline one of those Elder Devils. Nice girl very good looking. Almost gave up adventuring for her. In fact I was three days from the wedding when that damned father of hers. One of those Fiends from the Lower Plane. A General in the Demonic Army. Comes in and says no human is gona marry his daughter". He smiled at the memory.

Arthur said," Had to prove my worth. Beat him in combat. Was a good fight. I never married her though. We kind of went on a sabbatical. Haven't seen her in years. Though the thoughts on what she did our final night together keeps me warm most nights". Arthur paused and then turned at a couple of huge oaks. He then said," Other than that I have only met a few others that were decent folks. Had a rivalry with a War Demon for awhile. We still share a drink every year in Balefire".
Edited by Arthur, Sun Apr 8, 2018 1:16 am.

D Manning
Member Avatar

"Did something? Not at all Arthur. It's not something I did. It's what I am that bothers them. I'm......a freak. See my demon type is a Soul Harvester Demon. We don't have souls.
We take others souls for our own uses. I.....have a soul now. The others are wary because they know we don't care who or what soul we take. We just do. In the end I am hated for what I am."

Well that was out now. He wondered how Arthur was going to take it. Maybe they would end up having to fight but he was honestly hoping otherwise. He kind of liked Arthur and the mere fact that he had taken on a War Demon was impressive. Any man that could take punishment on that level was formidable.

In the end though he knew he would have to fight. If not Arthur then whatever demons had come here to ensure his demise. He knew Arthur would not completely understand his dilema however, he had to do this. If he came back alive maybe the others would let him be.

Arthur
Member Avatar

Arthur listened to what the demon said. He paused a moment. A Soul Harvester Demon. He knew of them, never had met one but he knew of them. Harvesting souls, the Game, yes he knew. Arthur wasn't sure if he was in danger. Though the demon said he had a soul now. Though whether that was for good or ill Arthur could not tell. Arthur hated that kind of magic, magic was meant to benefit people not hurt them.

Arthur fought for people and their right to a happy free life. This demon was a thorn in that cause. Yet something he said, he was hated for what he was. He knew that feeling quite well. A dragon, even a half one had the same kind of reputation in many places. Even some among his own kind saw him as an abomination, a dilution of blood. Arthur looked down and said," I know how you feel. To be hated for what you are. What you cannot help to be. An abomination in many eyes. I know that feeling well".

He turned around looking the demon straight in the eyes. His dragon ones gauging the soul that sat in the demon. He said," I was hated even by my own kind. I was to be expunged, eradicated because I was not of a pure line. A hybrid of uncommon love. I was an evil, something to be spat on and hated. I showed them otherwise. It took time and lot of work. Even still there are those that hate. Many though I showed them otherwise are wary in their actions with me. But I have time, more time than most."

Arthur looked up and then down and said," I am half-dragon. My father is a War Dragon, My mother is not, she is an elf. Though I look human I am not. My eyes are the only thing that show of my true heritage. Yet the stigma follows. I know what you go through D. I know it better than anybody". With that he turned around slightly proud, slightly ashamed. He walked on.

D Manning
Member Avatar

D stared at Arthur hard. A Half-Dragon? Certainly he had never heard of such a thing. It was, well to put it mildly, odd. On the opposite side of that however he suddenly knew that this one Man knew exactly how he felt. Discarded. Odd. Unwanted. Hated just for existing. These were things that D knew all too well.

"So you know then. You know what it's like to be a feak. To be discarded and hated for what you are. The part you can not know is my uncertainty. To Soul Harvester has EVER had a soul attached to them. If I were to die would I cease? Would that soul be up for grabs and I would become a true Harvester again? Would it take me apart? These are things I do not know and to be frank I am not really sure I wish to find out the hard way."

He shook his head sadly.

"Still I do not have a choice in this. I must prove that I belong here. Something deep in me tells me that I have this........new lease on life.......for a purpose. I have a soul for a reason. I am me for a reason and now I must find that reason. Still getting out from under the shadow of kin is difficult. Others don't want to see that you may have changed and become better. So now I find myself in this forest walking towards what is certainly a trap with a few other demons waiting to kill me."

He now knew that he had dragged another down with him. This man had done nothing to deserve being beaten solidly by demons. He was a Half-Dragon but D had never considered just how strong or tough one of those could be. Dragons were notoriously unapproachable so it was not as if there was much research on the subject.

"Sorry to have drug you into this. Now we really don't have much of a choice but to continue and see if we can live through this."

Arthur
Member Avatar

Arthur nodded at what the demon said. He knew yes very well. However he was right about the rest. Arthur never had to worry about those things. Arthur wished he knew the answers to demons question about the soul within him. He however said," I know better than most. I wish I had answers for you D. The Soul has mysteries even I cannot breach. If I could help I would but you mustn't fear. There are worse things than an end". Much worse things.

The demon spoke again saying he had no choice and that he must push on regardless. A good thing to do. Walk through the fire that is life and hope you didn't get burned to bad. Arthur said," I know the feeling. Under the shadow of what has come before you. You do your best to prove them wrong. I have done it to an extent yet I still work at it. And believe me you maybe walking into a trap but you are not walking alone. I am with you and we will get through this. I have survived this long and so will you".

The demon apologized for bringing him into this. Arthur smiled and said," I was already heading this way anyway. I would have gotten into the trap regardless. Better with a companion." The trees were growing thicker and more gnarled a few even looked sick. They were getting closer. The air itself was damper yes they were closer.

D Manning
Member Avatar

With a look of surprise that someone could accept him so readily D nodded.

"Thank you for being so accepting of me. Others have not been so kind."

As they continued walking D could begin to sense the presence of the Root nearby. He was also picking up a different sense. So he was right after all. They were going to be waiting for him. How foolish of them. Now that he had a partner these thuggish demons would be no problem at all to beat on.

In fact the more he thought about the battle that was to come the more anticipation filled him and something deep within stirred. He began to feel vestiges of his old power rising and straining to be released upon the fools that would dare to interrupt his mission.

His instincts were proven right. A pack of five figures rose from the forest ahead of them. The leader stepped forward.

"So Harvester, the forest was not enough to kill you? Such a shame. Now it looks like we have to do that job ourselves. Just as well I suppose. I have been looking forward to sending you back to the Abyss for some time. How dare you think you can just come into our community and put it at risk like that? You MONSTER! Well we shall now show you the error of your ways! That Human is of no interest to me. He is free to leave."

D's blood began to boil and he balled his hands into fists. His feet reacted instantly by sliding into a combat stance.

"Shaddup Junkface. That humans name is Arthur and I am not sure he wants to go anywhere. So come on you pitiful excuse of a demon. Come to us and show us everything you have! I tell you now that this is going to be one fight you won't win so easily!"

Then, not awaiting a reply, D charged the leader with a ferocious battle roar and chaos ensued.

Arthur
Member Avatar

Arthur shrugged at the demonís thanks. It was nothing, Arthur had not readily accepted him at first. Yet the similarities had made him do so. Still it was nice the demon thanked him. This demon was turning out to be one of the few. As they continued Arthur began to smell the tell-tale sign of the root. He also smelled something else something more malicious. So, the demon was right some were waiting for him. Arthur checked his sword in his sheathe.

It wasn't long until five demons rose from the forest and spoke. Arthur growled at what was said. It had been a suicide mission typical demon. Then they had the gall to treat him as if he was nothing an annoyance. Then D spoke and Arthur smiled as the demon charged at the leader. Arthur drew his blade and he went into battle as well. He went for the demon that going behind D. His blade slashed along the side of the demon opening a gash.

The demon howled and turned on Arthur. Arthur blocked the demons blow keeping his feet against the monstrous strength. Arthur returned the blow in kind and a shattering crack could heard through the forest as the demons ruined hand hung limply at his side. Arthur not wasting momentum opened up a nice slit in the demonís throat and the demon clasped with his good hand and fell blood frothing to the ground.

One down four to go. The other demons stood in shock at what Arthur had done and he said," That was you first mistake assuming me only human. It will also be your last". He then went on to the next demon.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Calmonah Forest · Next Topic »

Top RP SitesVote for Imythess at Top Site List Planet
Top Site Lists
Misty Woods created by Helena & Cory of ZNR