Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Imythess, the border between dreams and reality. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Imythess is a creative writing board where you narrate the story of a character in the medieval land of Imythess, on the planet Chaon. Each topic is an opportunity for your character to interact with the world and its peoples by cooperatively writing pieces of a story with other members, one post at a time. We call this role-playing, because you assume the identity of your character as if it were your own.

In order to play, you must register an account for each character you would like to write about, and begin their tale by filling out their basic profile information: Race (human, elf, demon, etc.), class (warrior, mage, etc.), physical appearance, and any other personal details you would like to describe. You are also encouraged to come up with some background history information for what your character's life has been like up to the point at which their story in Imythess begins.

There is no approval process or application required to join, so long as you follow the rules then you are free to write whatever character details you choose. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Create a character now!

If you're already a member, you can log into your account below:

Username:   Password:
Snowflakes and dragonbones; Mainly for Arthur. And whoever.
Topic Started: Mon Mar 5, 2018 3:57 pm (209 Views)
Umbra Khontis
Member Avatar

The Dragonspine Mountains.

It was uncommon for anyone who went to the mountains north of Imythess to expect pleasant weather and even rarer for the weather to be pleasant.

For the moment, however, that was exactly what the black haired half-demoness received. A pleasant walk through the sparse evergreen forest where few people had ever come through. She was not intending to go all the way up to the frozen north where she had heard that Striberg was located. Instead, she was here to enjoy the few people that she came across.

The early morning frost had only just finished melting off of her armor leaving a cold chill underneath it, regardless of how bound against it she was. Her breath gave soft white puffs as she shook her head awake. Her footsteps made warm footprints where frost melted only to once more be turned to ice as spring struggled to emerge from the layers of blanket snow around her.

She had found this new place, Imythess, to be quite unique in its charms. And not without its own issues.

It was now plainly obvious she would never return home, Arda was a world long gone and she now must look to making Imythess her new home. Charon was a world of problems galore and she mused how she would end up spending her life here. She could easily put aside her spear, and as long as she was careful to keep her claws paired to more nail like length and didn't look people in the eye often she might pass as human.

She paused as she came across what remained of a skeleton of a large dragon, one that had been dead for some time now returned to the lifestream. She walked towards it carefully, it was said that even their skeletons could rise.

This one, however, did not. Its empty sockets watched her approach with cold esteem. "Sorry." She apologized. "I did not mean to turn on your resting place."

Creatures like this were supposedly all over the place, and she nodded to the skull as her mind went back to her thoughts on what to do here and now.

This world, it is in need of champions, she thought to herself looking at the dragon as if the skull could give her all the answers she needed. Should I not stand?
Offline Profile Quote To Top

Arthur
Member Avatar

The Dragonspine Mountains. Home to his people, the dragons, he came here sometimes to learn and explore. Much hidden wealth lay in these mountains not just gold and treasure, but secrets as well. Arthur was after one of those secrets, a myth to some, a legend to others, and fact to those of his kind. It was an ancient table from times long ago, in it contained a powerful magic. With this magic he might be one and for all rid of his current situation.

You know I can hear your thoughts you know.
The feminine voice rang in his head. He sighed and replied," Yes I know but there is little you can do I have control". For now the voice replied. Yes always for now Danny had become a constant presence since that one drunken night. He had searched for months to find any possible way of expelling her. All the harder because she could take control of his body. The search had turned to a year because of this. Now she was stronger and he knew if he went unguarded she might take control even now.

It was a battle both were determined to win. He had come here as a last act if the dragons did not have the power to expel this presence no one did and he did not want to think of that. He picked his way through the rough terrain snow covering his every step. Yet the cold did not bother him. Within him burned a mighty flame that kept him warm even in the most adverse of conditions. He had an idea of where to go, but he had never been there so he made his way slowly in case he missed it.

He could have flow but from the air and the weather what he was looking for would be well obscured. So from the ground would have to do. He strode forward unafraid. He knew there could be danger but even in his human form he was more than a match for whatever might come his way. He noticed something up ahead the snow and mist obscuring even his dragon eyes sight. He put his hand on his sword as he closed the distance. He heard a voice through the snow it sounded female but he could not make out what was said.

As he got closer he caught the last of the words and said" Ho there, traveler, is there peace between us so that I may approach."

Umbra Khontis
Member Avatar

The sound of snow crunching under footfalls gave her pause.

She turned and found a man approaching her from behind, the man looked at her from a distance and called out to her in peace, she noted his hand on the blade at his side but made no effort to draw her own retracted spear.

Nodding she beckoned a welcoming gesture, "Yes, There is peace between us for the moment."

She gave a soft bow from the waist, "I am Umbra Khontis, might I have the honor of your name?" She asked as the cold wind blew through her black hair, sending a shiver down her neck.

She wondered if the weather would hold, clouds were already forming and she had heard that these mountains were notorious for random changes in the weather.

Arthur
Member Avatar

The figure answered and Arthur relaxed the hand on his blade. He approached the woman and noticed the thing that had seemed to fix her attention. Dragon Bones well that was quite the find out here. He would have too look at them further but that would come later. He replied," My thanks traveler, these mountains are hazardous at even the best of times. I did not expect someone to be up here. Very few people make it up this way". It was true at least for some, the fear of the dragons that resided here might have something to do with it.

The woman then introduced herself and Arthur nodded and replied," Arthur Mandraeg at your service milady. Adventurer, mercenary, explorer among many other things". He pulled out a small piece of paper and handed it to her. It read Arthur Mandraeg. Have Sword. Will Travel. He then looked at the skeleton of the dragon and said," Nice find that, I wonder what secrets it hides". He stepped around the skull it was almost as large as him. He tapped it and then licked his finger.

He replied out loud," I'd say about 5 or 6 years dead maybe. Looks like from the skull it was a Blue Dragon. No marks on the skull so not sure of death would have to examine the rest of the body. The Dragon itself age wise I would say no more than 2000 no less than 500. But more examination would be required to verify". He then shook himself and looked at the woman.

He said," Sorry about that, I am a studier of dragons, bit of an expert really. One of the reasons I am up here. After an artifact of some value. Though I doubt this particular dragon is a sign of said artifact. Still fascinating". He went back to studying the dragon moving his hands up and down its length. It was an half truth he told the woman. He was an expert considering he was part dragon himself, and he did study his own kind mostly what he saw in the ancestral memories. Yet she did not need to know that and no telling what she might do if she found out.
Edited by Arthur, Mon Mar 5, 2018 7:12 pm.

Umbra Khontis
Member Avatar

The small paper the man gave her was likely something of a card, a means to advertise a service rendered. That was something new she had discovered of this place.

She accepted it with grace and the man seemed to relax and accept her presence and peace for the moment. She turned to the dragon once more as the man, Arthur, she had learned, took an interest in it as well.

She tilted her head listening to his words; he seemed quite knowledgeable and soon apologised for goign on a small tangent.

"No, please, no need.
" She answered. "I know very little so this is interesting to me. A blue dragon huh? I had met a dragon previously but it was a Gold dragon and he was... eccentric to put it mildly. Not that he was bad but I don't think I ever encountered someone like him with such a high class taste in cat water dishes." She mused

She mused on the talk of an artifact. "I see. I have seen no artifact or any treasure up here of any sort as of yet. Though I will also admit to not looking in the first place."

Arthur
Member Avatar

The woman seemed to accept his apology which was good or so he thought anyway. She then went on to explain how she once met an eccentric gold dragon. That was interesting as a story. He replied," Must be an interesting story. Myself I have met more than my fair share of dragons alive and dead. Some good, some bad, and a few had strange quirks like yours. I once spent a good portion of my life at the foot of these mountains. Dragons were a regular site". Truth that but not the whole but it was necessary until he could be sure of her.

The girl then said she had seen no artifact but she had not been looking. It would be well hidden in a dragons hoard possibly or somewhere less predictable. Arthur replied," I have a general idea of where it is anyway. The problem is finding that particular spot. One cave or outcropping does tend to look like any other. Yet I should be able to find it. I have time, at least for now. No telling when I may lose that time." he was talking of Danny but the woman did not know Danny so she might not understand and Arthur did not feel much like explaining.

Umbra Khontis
Member Avatar

She offered a small smile. "Indeed, he was quite the character. But I hardly found one who was so full of justice as he." she replied as they turned back to the skeleton of the creature before them. She imagined the skies full of dragons. Large and small, Wyrmling and Wyvryn. How great a sight would that have been?

He spoke of looking for the artifact around here and it being in a nesting outcropping or a hoard. She nodded in agreement. "That it can." she agreed.

"If you like, I can assist you in your search. I may not know of what you seek but a second pair of eyes wouldn't hurt. At the very least an extra blade against a dangerous foe could be useful.

Arthur
Member Avatar

Arthur nodded at what she next said. A justice seeking dragon he would like meet that one. Many dragons took very little interest in the going ons of the world. Arthur replied," I would like to meet him. Sounds like my kind of dragon. Most dragons I have met take little interest in the world, there have been a few that have, but most keep to themselves. The memory of the last purge still runs deep in their race". That was part of it, the other part of it was they just didn't seem to care that much anymore.

The woman then offered to aid in his search and Arthur nodded," Help would be welcome, though I can't say for sure we will find it. I may have forgot to mention that most of what I know about it is legend and myth. The dragons I have asked who knew about it have been quite closed mouth about its existence." Truth even his father had been less than helpful. Which was odd he wondered what exactly that meant.

"Nothing Good", Danny said in his head. Yet he had to try, after all nothing ventured nothing gained.

Umbra Khontis
Member Avatar

She looked to the man as he spoke, her memories of Arytissire were fond and wonderful. He was a lost soul and she wondered how he was doing in Arda. But she was here, in Imythess and now was the time she was located. It was best to work her thoughts to the here and now before she got so crazy she did something stupid.

She nodded at his words. It was not uncommon for such things to be artifacts and legends.

People are tight lipped for a reason, best to keep that in mind Master Arthur. she reminded him. "Things might be hidden and unknown because they are meant to be forgotten. And forgive me, but dragons are rarely the type to remind a mortal of this.

She set herself on her heels and nodded. "So, where shall we be off to?"

Arthur
Member Avatar

What the woman next said was true? It might have been hidden to be forgotten. Even the memories of hiding it were scant on the subject. Yet he had to try. He had very few options left. If it failed there was one sure fire way of getting done what he wanted done. Yet he did not want to do that. For one it could destroy him, for another it required him to ask for help from the one person he did not want to ask. His father.

Arthur said" True enough, but I always say it is better to try and fail than never try. Who knows maybe I might find other knowledge. Adventures always seem to come up with surprising twists." He then sighed and said," However I wouldn't exactly call me mortal. Nor am I immortal. I share the partial immortality of both my mother and father. I stopped feeling the effects of time when I was 24. Though I am still young even by my peoples standards. I have yet to see my first century. So death is something to be greeted as a friend and lover for it is rare among my kind.".

It was as close as he would get to revealing what he was without saying so. She could guess of course and he would say what he was at some point. He trusted her enough to hint. He wondered where she would take it. Arthur then said," We head this way. If I am correct we should be no more than a few hours walk where it is supposed to be. At least I hope."

Umbra Khontis
Member Avatar

Arthur seemed to take her words to heart, she was surprised as few people ever did. It was a strange thought to know that someone thought she was serious and honest. Well... She was half demon after all. Few would trust her words.

She nodded as he spoke. "That is true as well. Most adventures never hold just one treasure."

He seemed to hint at his true nature and she paused at the thought. He may be like her, hiding his true nature from those around him. It was a strange thing that was both curious and suspicious to her. Why would he hint at it but not state it fully.

She pressed the thought to the side and instead turned to the direction he was headding.

"Very well. Let's be off then and allow our new acquaintance to return to his peaceful rest." she said gesturing for him to take the lead.
Edited by Umbra Khontis, Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 am.

Arthur
Member Avatar

The woman did not press him which he was glad for. He was not ashamed of what he was. Proud was the correct term but perhaps to much pride. That had cost him on one occasion. It had taken years for people to stop treating him as abomination. Even his own kind, some among them anyway saw him as a lesser being. Someone to killed and forgotten about. Yet he knew what he was. He was dragon even if only half of one. He had the spirit, the soul, and the rage of that race within him.

Pride a lot of that pushed him now. Yet pride also kept him from getting what he might truly need. Knowledge, the knowledge that force was not always an answer. That thinking ahead instead of jumping in might save him in the end. That was Dannys thought though not his. Yet sometimes the two were one. Arthur replied," My father always said treasure is in the eye of the beholder. To a poor man bread is treasure. For what it maybe worth the treasure of good conversation has always been of great value to me".

Truth there, when one walked the world alone, friends and conversation were a welcome thing. Then the woman said they should leave their friend to his rest. Arthur nodded but before he started walking he knelt by the dragons head and said in the tongue of dragons," May the warm embrace of the ancestors take you, and may your knowledge be felt for all time". A small rite but one that any dragon could wish for.

Arthur then stood and said," Alright follow me".

[OCC: The Orange Denotes the Dragon Tongue]

Umbra Khontis
Member Avatar

Umbra nodded to his quoting of his father. She had never had such thoughts, but then she had never had such a father. Hers was of demonic nature and been one of an evil origin, plotting to likely use her for such things. How she had gotten away was remaining a mystery. And even then she had little wonder for those things. Arda was gone, her father was gone. She was here now in Imythess.

Now to find her purpose here.

For now, she would enjoy Arthur's company and see where that went. He spoke in draconic, a tounge that she didn't know well but still nodded and bowed to the skull and turned to follow him to their destination.

"Are you familiar with these mountains Arthur?" she asked

She wasn't worried one way or another, just curious.

(((Sorry, not feeling it today. I'll be better next time I promise. The writing and words are not coming easily)))

Arthur
Member Avatar

The woman asked him if he was familiar with these mountains. The answer was yes, he grew up at the very foot of them. In fact within one of the valleys lived his parents. Yet the next question might lead to his true nature. Arthur liked the woman well enough but he had to be careful even so. Arthur replied," Yes I am very familiar. Grew up at the foot of them. I and my father would roam these mountains in my youth. He taught me all I know about the world in these mountains. My family still lives in one of the valleys below."

Arthur paused a minute and he looked out over the mountain. He pointed to one of the valleys and said," There, in that valley lies the house I grew up in. My father and mother and sister are the only ones who live there now. I and my brother left years ago to seek paths of our own. I became an adventurer and sell sword. He is a knight errant or something like that. I haven't been home in sometime." He had visited years ago and had sparred with his father. His father had won of course but it had been fun.

Arthur then said," You are not familiar with these mountains I take it"?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Dragonspine Mountains · Next Topic »

Top RP SitesVote for Imythess at Top Site List Planet
Top Site Lists
Misty Woods created by Helena & Cory of ZNR