Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Imythess, the border between dreams and reality. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Imythess is a creative writing board where you narrate the story of a character in the medieval land of Imythess, on the planet Chaon. Each topic is an opportunity for your character to interact with the world and its peoples by cooperatively writing pieces of a story with other members, one post at a time. We call this role-playing, because you assume the identity of your character as if it were your own.

In order to play, you must register an account for each character you would like to write about, and begin their tale by filling out their basic profile information: Race (human, elf, demon, etc.), class (warrior, mage, etc.), physical appearance, and any other personal details you would like to describe. You are also encouraged to come up with some background history information for what your character's life has been like up to the point at which their story in Imythess begins.

There is no approval process or application required to join, so long as you follow the rules then you are free to write whatever character details you choose. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Create a character now!

If you're already a member, you can log into your account below:

Username:   Password:
Eyes in the Mountains [P, Ollie]; A first mission.
Topic Started: Mon Jan 1, 2018 11:07 am (333 Views)
Anda
Member Avatar

Anda stopped, and took stock of the equipment she had brought with her, while reviewing her mission goals. She was to obtain an accurate count of the local bandits, as well as their training, weapons, and location. She knew they were nearby, but found herself lacking most intel. But then, she had been trained most of her life for such things. She was young, reasonably attractive, but hopelessly inexperienced, as this was her first mission.

She was average in height, with dark brown hair and eyes. She knelt beside a tree, checking to see if anyone was looking or nearby. She quickly changed into a ridiculously opulent outfit, so as to appear as if she were a passing merchant, separated from her caravan. She then stuffed her equipment into her enchanted bag, which could hold as much as desired, so long as it could fit through the opening. She slipped it into the folds of the extravagant garment, and began to set out on her way. She carried none of her weapons, keeping all of the tools of her trade put away. After all, she was not here to kill, but to observe.

Sure enough, before the sun had even finished setting, she was set upon by a small group of bandits wearing hodge-podge assemblies of leather and chainmail. She forced herself to maintain her persona, that of a stranded wealthy young woman, using submissive and fearful body language and tells. They captured her, and brought her deep into the mountains, where a mountain of a man sat on a throne made from carved wood. He ordered that she be interrogated, and if she had family, that she be ransomed.

However, the joke was on the bandits, as she information she gave was for one of her contacts, who would relay to her family that she had successfully entered the stronghold. But there would be no rescue from them. She would have to perform her reconnaissance, and escape, on her own. She began memorizing the personnel, the layout, and any weapons or resources she observed. It might take some time, but in the stone half-walls of her cell, she had little else. Except, of course, the pouch hidden near her chest, where she could cry out if anyone got too forward. After all, a sullied hostage was worth less of a ransom, and Anda used that to keep her tools and weapons hidden from her targets.

Sometimes, the greatest threat was staring you in the face. But who would fear her? She was a young woman, no one in particular, of no particular note or worth; and Anda would fight to the death to maintain that perception.

Edited by Anda, Tue Jan 2, 2018 1:21 am.
Offline Profile Quote To Top

Ollie
Member Avatar

"Hey, so, I was reading-"

"Oh my gods, I told you those books would rot your brain, Phil!"

"Shut up! I was reading about plants around here, and there's this one plant, see, a mushroom, and you can make this super powerful elixir from it."

"Gah, like we can brake the Noclan monopoly, Phil."

"I said shut up! Anyway, it doesn't heal, it just makes people feel good. Better than booze. Do you know how much that'd go for? A ton!"

"So what? You planning to be an alchemist?"

"I'm just saying, this robbery thing? Not really a steady income. If we could make that and sell it, we'd make a pile of gold! And we have lots of cool, dark places in this old fort to grow the mushrooms, so we could get tons with barely any work! It's genius!"

"If you say so, Phil."

"Hey, you'll see how genius it is when I float it by the boss and-"

"And what, Phil? Phil?" Phil's fellow wall guard, who kept his gaze steadfastly toward the forest through their entire conversation, finally turned to see what happened to his partner. Phil and his greasy beard were nowhere to be found. "Phil..." he repeated, more quietly, backing away to reach the door of the fort.

"Sleep," a beguiling voice said, sinking through his fear and worry and adrenaline, causing his eyes to droop and his body to sag. Sleep...that was a good plan. He should...sleep....

A figure, clad in dark green and grey, caught and lowered the guard to the floor, the last he could find of the outside patrol. He glanced over the wall to the fallen Phil, his neck twisted the wrong way from the fall. That was a waste, but not a complete one.

The figure dropped, barely visible in the night's shadow, and rested a hand on the bandit's shoulder. The corpse shuddered, rose, and stood, the head snapping with a sickening crack back into place, though it still lopped to the side in a concerning manner.

"Wait until I call you," the intruder said. Phil simply stood, swaying slightly, as the figure vanished deeper into the fort, pausing, listening, and either dodging or putting to sleep everyone he encountered, never seeming surprised by any of them.

"Prisoner lady!" A voice sounded in his head. This did cause him to pause, but only to nod and send an assertive feeling back to the voice's source. There was a prisoner here, and his telepathic partner already gave him a picture of where they were. Dammit, he'd have to make sure to clear this place, then. Or perhaps....

There was only one sleeping guard beside the cell where the woman, slim, young, and dressed in dirtied, high end clothes, sat. Off-brand Horeir, he surmised. A good fake, but not the same quality stitching as the original. Granted, it'd be the rare bandit that'd notice such a thing. This guard, he gave a quick snap of the neck. He wanted to do more, so much more, but he needed to ensure this woman would listen to him and not fear him too much. She must be frightened already being captured and held here...

Odd, he thought, dragging the dead guard into an joining cell and summoning Phil. Her heart beat was oddly calm for such a stressful situation. He'd have to give her more credit, then. Picking the dead guard, he found the cell key. He re-secured his face mask, only letting his blue eyes be seen, and approached the woman.

"Don't worry," he said. "I'm rescuing you, but I need you to wait here for a bit longer." He knelt down beside the bars. "However, if I don't get back," he handed her the key, "Use this to escape. Be quiet, be quick, and stay to the shadows. I'll cause enough ruckus so they don't worry about you."

He turned at the sound of footsteps, and the silent, loose necked Phil stood behind him. "Keep her safe," he ordered him. "Your job is through when she's safely home." He turned back to the woman. "Don't fear him, and be safe."

With that, he darted down the hall, continuing his quest. The bandit's leader had a price on his head. He'd become dangerous enough to be billed as wanted alive or dead, and Ollie did not bother with "alive."

Anda
Member Avatar

She watched the stranger come up, making short work of her captors. This wasn't supposed to happen. Why hire someone for reconnaissance, and immediately send someone to kill everyone? This whole thing stunk, but she had to focus. She had a job to do, and if recon had failed, there was one alternative. She quickly disrobed, stuffing the elegant robe into her bag, and pulled out a wooden mask, along with some navy-blue leather armor set-ups. She donned them as quick as possible, knowing every moment was key. She reached in yet again, pulling out two weapons, one a bismuth alloy dagger, and the other silver kama. She was now covered from head to toe in form-fitting black sashes and armor, and she concealed her dagger in the edge of her leather gauntlets, the Kama hanging from her belt. Using the key, she made her way out of the cell, noting the strange undead in front of her. Her mind immediately began processing weakness and the like, and she noticed the weakened neck. Despite "Phil's" lack of aggression, he was a witness, and that made him a liability.

Anda grabbed her silver Kama, and made a quick and precise swing for the neck, snapping the head clean off. One never knew what they would encounter on missions, and silver had a number of benefits against the supernatural. She mentally thanked her ancestors for her parent's training and foresight. Now that Phil was despatched, she made her way along the path that the stranger had taken, making sure to finish off anyone who was merely unconscious with unfeeling efficiency.

Ollie
Member Avatar

Ollie still moved through the shadows, but now he moved to kill. Arrows thinned any clumps, each one finding its mark despite the distance, darkness, or angle. Any left alive after the initial barrage lasted only long enough to feel their necks snapped. He could only do such things in bursts, however, and had to stop, hidden, crouched on the ceiling as he caught his breath. He didn't want to do this. Killing everyone wasn't part of the plan. It took too long, was more likely to raise the alarm, and drained him faster. But to give that woman a chance to escape...

He started, half jumping, as something sliced against his subconcious. He couldn't feel the turned bandit anymore. Dammit, something got him, killed him, which meant....

He shook his head, fighting the urge to sail through the hallways to find her. He'd have to hope he gave her enough of a chance to flee. That was all he had to give. Besides, he thought as he realized the newfound sharpening of his senses. Right now, he might be too much of a danger to her. The way out was mostly clear. She'd have to try her best on her own.

"I look for her?" the small voice asked in his mind.

If you want, he thought back. He'd keep moving until he hit his target, perhaps taking a snack as he went to recharge. I'm gonna focus on the task at hand.
Edited by Ollie, Mon Jan 8, 2018 1:24 am.

Anda
Member Avatar

Anda noticed a rapid decline in the number of merely unconscious bodies. Instead, she found corpses, some riddled by arrow fire, others still with their necks snapped like a blade of grass trodden underfoot. She was getting worried. Everything had gone awry, and she wasn't even sure what her objective was anymore.

This might possibly be the worst first mission in the history of first missions. She thought to herself.

She picked up the pace as quickly as she could, but she was an infiltrator, no true athlete. She was quick, but trained more for bursts than stamina. She mentally resigned herself to a more even pacing, retracing the path in reverse she had taken after meeting the leader. She was getting closer, as the blood was smelling fresher and fresher. Her grip on the silver kama tightened, and she quickened her pace, controlling her breathing. She would need her energy if things went awry.

Ollie
Member Avatar

"You here!" a joyful thought sounded in Anda's head. The odd thing, besides the lack of joy she felt herself, was how it came from outside herself. The "voice" itself sounded a bit rough, high pitched...and perfectly fitting the golden form swimming in the air before her. It might match a bat, if a bat's portions were akin to that of a small, golden dragon. It looped about her a few times before settling before her face. There, it at first gave strange, reptilian features that suggested a smile, then a frown.

"Hrmm, it said, external to her thoughts but somehow within her head. "You prison lady....you no baddie, but you no saddie...."

The tone took an accusatory tone, but one that ruined itself by the small size of its apparent delieverer. "Why you here and why you hurt deadie?"
Edited by Ollie, Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am.

Anda
Member Avatar

Anda stopped dead in her tracks. What the hell was this thing? It seemed to speak to her mind, a wholly unnatural creation. It also seemed to have identified her. This was very, very bad. She didn't know enough of this thing to know if it was worth the risk of trying to silence it. She would have to rely on diplomacy and lying her ass off. She turned her masked face to the side, as if in confusion, her silver kama still in her hand.

"I... don't know what you mean. I was sent here to rescue the heiress, only to find out that she had already been released. So I moved on to the next objective, killing the leader. But it would seem I've been beaten to that mountain as well. I killed the undead, because I thought one of the bandits was a necromancer or something. Now please, excuse me, I have a certain bandit head to collect."

She focused on these words, and the persona she was portraying. She didn't know if this thing could read her mind, but if it could, she would have to convince herself of the lie, as well.

Ollie
Member Avatar

The tiny scaled beast furrowed its brow at Anda, assuming the space above its eyes counted as a brow. Several breathless moments passed, and it opened its mouth wide, tiny teeth shimmering in the darkness. Despite the display, it exuded the idea that this was as close as it could get to a lipless smile.

"Okay!" it said. "You brave! No worries about dead deadie. It Ollie's. Need bounty? Ollie might go halfies if you ask."

It looped through the air a few more times, which was a bit more entertaining to it than simple hovering. "I Dragon. You sneak good? I help you sneak. Ollie can rest more, then. Killing all the baddies to keep you safe is hard, hard. We sneak, we shadow, okay?"

It barely gave Anda more than a few moments before it began to lap down the hallway the dark haired man went and back, "I let Ollie know we sneak sneak, but will be time before we find more live baddies, so easy go now. We go?"

Anda
Member Avatar

Anda nodded, not having time to dwell on the possible ramifications of this cluster of mistakes and mishaps that led to this. She tucked her Kama against her forearm, and began to briskly jog ahead, focusing on her breathing, and planning for what to do when she caught up with him. Her adrenaline was pumping hard, and she could feel every shift of her leather armor, and the sashes that her mask surrounded her in. She could feel her hair bound up in the wrapping, hiding everything but her dimensions and proportions from an onlooker. Her tools and enchanted bag sounded like cannons in her ears, as her eyes scanned every body.

This mission was getting more and more off the rails, and it needed to end soon, even if that meant modifying the mission parameters. She hoped to catch up to her "rescuer" quickly, but she had no idea how far ahead he really was.

Ollie
Member Avatar

Dragon warned him they were on the way. Ollie helped by putting the nearby bodies into less conspicuous corners so they didn't disturb the woman on her way here. From what the dragon shared with him, and from its sniggering tone he knew it wasn't the full story, the woman warrior came here initially to rescue someone, but that plan fell apart when the intended rescue victim was freed. Whatever the setup, the woman's endgoal now looked to be aiding him in cutting off the serpent's head. That part Ollie was more than happy to pause in as he looked across an inner courtyard to an obtrusive tower on the far side.

"Hi, Ollie!" a voice sounded in his mine. It echoed slightly, showing that the dragon shared this exclamation with their new...partner. Ollie turned from the arrow slit in the outer wall to watch the woman approach. Well, she carried herself like someone who could fight. It seemed her rescue plan was based on more than misplaced heroics. The dragon swooped around Ollie before curling gently around his neck. "We here. Now what?"

"That's what I'm working on," Ollie said. He nodded to the woman. "We're safe here for now as long as we're not shouting. I'm Ollie. You met Dragon."

"Hi."

"Not sure what your skills are, but I'm trusting that you actually have some." He gestured his head toward the thin, tall window. "The prey's in that tower somewhere. Underground, from what I've heard, but that could just be a rumor. We're not the first to try to bring this guy down, though. Considering the mundane defenses in the outer perimeter, I'm afraid he has some arcane defenses in his stronghold's heart. I don't wanna press forward too fast if that's the case. I'm good against regular mooks, but magic can be bad news."

"I try to sneak and listen when we come, but..." The dragon shivered, tightening around Ollie's neck. The pale man didn't seem to notice.

"As far as Dragon's telepathy goes, it's a dead zone. I've seen movement, so there's definitely something there, but Dragon can't hear their thoughts. Fly Dragon's are strong telepaths, so that's worrying in itself. Either the guards don't have thoughts, meaning automatons or golems, or something's blocking mind magic."

"Distraction?" the dragon asked.

"Yeah, I'm gonna wait before bringing out Bones, but I do have a pretty powerful, if unpredictable means of distraction if need be. If you have any thoughts, though, I'm all ears."
Edited by Ollie, Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 pm.

Anda
Member Avatar

Anda thought long and hard, sizing up the tower that lay before her. This proved to be a rather serious problem, as her entire purpose for being here was to find things like this, and report back, so that her superiors could formulate a plan. Yet here she was, having to recon and assault, all in one go.

"Perhaps we should take a moment to evaluate and test the defenses. Discreetly, of course."

She pulled a metallic cylinder from her belt, and flipped a strange lense off the end of it. She held it up, focusing on the various windows. She could sense the path and intensity of the winds, and roughly how far it was to what she sighted in on. She saw an armored figure crossing one of the windows, and she focused on the imposing figure. Her device should have placed a marker of some kind, but when it did not, she closed the lens and placed it back on her belt.

"There is certainly some sort of anti-magic effect, can't say I know any more detail than that. I don't know if it will prevent casting, but it appears to stop enduring effects. Any suggestions? We can't allow anyone to escape, and we don't know if there are escape routes we don't know about."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gwilikith Mountain Range · Next Topic »

Top RP SitesVote for Imythess at Top Site List Planet
Top Site Lists
Misty Woods created by Helena & Cory of ZNR