Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Imythess, the border between dreams and reality. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Imythess is a creative writing board where you narrate the story of a character in the medieval land of Imythess, on the planet Chaon. Each topic is an opportunity for your character to interact with the world and its peoples by cooperatively writing pieces of a story with other members, one post at a time. We call this role-playing, because you assume the identity of your character as if it were your own.

In order to play, you must register an account for each character you would like to write about, and begin their tale by filling out their basic profile information: Race (human, elf, demon, etc.), class (warrior, mage, etc.), physical appearance, and any other personal details you would like to describe. You are also encouraged to come up with some background history information for what your character's life has been like up to the point at which their story in Imythess begins.

There is no approval process or application required to join, so long as you follow the rules then you are free to write whatever character details you choose. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Create a character now!

If you're already a member, you can log into your account below:

Username:   Password:
A Close Encounter of the Ogichi Kind
Topic Started: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:56 pm (694 Views)
Taven
Member Avatar

The misted hills, a new place to Taven, but it seemed to agree with him. Taven, who had always viewed himself as being on the 'good' side of the spectrum had found himself wishing revenge on those that had harmed him. While he had spent the majority of his life training under Kaess to become a monk that did not mask the pain that he faced beforehand. There was one man in-particular that showed him a great deal of cruelty when he was begging on the streets of Istan, and that was a revenge that he had promised himself. Kaess assured Taven that he would stop him if he ever lived a life of revenge, but little did he know that the dragon was no longer of this world. Taven was free of this constraint and would have access to this revenge soon enough.

Riding on his elephant through the Misted Hills Taven found that something was off. There was a evil in the region, but he couldn't quite put a direction to it, but there was a thickness in the air. "Somethings here, Maharaja" Taven said looking down to his elephant. The elephant reared up his trunk and screamed out in acknowledgment. The noise seemed to attract several predators in the area as they hungered for what they thought would be an easy meal. Three cat-like creatures ventured out of the mist and growled at their newfound prey.

The first cat jumped out and attempted to bit at the elephants neck. Taven clipped his heal into the beast and he reared up grabbing the cat with his trunk. The elephant clenched tightly and crushed every bone in the creatures body. Soon after this the elephant tossed the lifeless body into the nearby lake. The elephant then stomped his foot on the ground in anger. The ground shook and the elephant outstretched his trunk and trumpeted out towards the other two. The two remaining cats ran away quickly after...Despite the two remaining cats leaving Taven's uneasy feeling did not disappear with him. There was something else and it was coming towards him, quickly...
Edited by Taven, Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:13 pm.
Offline Profile Quote To Top

Ogichi
Member Avatar
GOGI

There was hardly a horizon to be found here, with opaque yet incoporeal layers of mist forming a fog that severely limited vision and left everything feeling just a little wet with a layer of condensation. Without an enchanted item or an inherent knowledge of the area, leaving the sparse roads was almost guaranteed to result in being lost. It all made the perfect environment for bandits to hide in, forming camps just out of earshot of the roads, hidden by hills and the constant weather, lurking just out of sight for the perfect moment to strike unsuspecting travelers from the the odd wanderer to the greater caravans. With guards away from villages and cities being rare, the only law left that mattered out here was that of natural selection. These were, of course, some of the reasons why the Pale Fiend preferred the Hills of Mist to the Backswamps of Gloomwood.

Death was lost to the hills, hiding all sorts of beasts and secrets, where somebody could go without ever behind heard from or seen again. Ambush predators lurking, waiting for prey. Trees and hills just added to the trouble, robbing vision even from those whose vision could otherwise pierce the weather. There were few that could navigate this area knowingly, and anybody else hoping to survive would need to stay on their guard at all times if they wanted to survive. Of course, the odd blind wanderer could actually fare surprisingly well in this environment.

That, or react so quickly that it made little difference how quickly they were ambushed. The Fiend found the double blind to be entertaining, ensuring that he would have no idea who would find him amid the fog, and that anybody could attack him unknowingly in return. Just recently he had been fortunate enough to find a camp of bandits and catch them completely unawares as he took to the slaughter, being sure to allow his only follower, a large bladed lizard, to enjoy a filling meal.

From there, he believed it to be nothing more than a return to wandering for an unknown amount of time. Somehow he managed back across a proper trail that led to a wooded area. The shadows of the trees barely managed to cut through the mist, with the gentle air carrying it around them like a stream around protruding rocks. Within the mist continued to dance with the trees, still to thick to gauge distance very well against, but easy enough to navigate by simply paying attention. In the distance, however, came a truly unexpected sound from the hills. An elephant, or at least something that sounded a lot like an elephant trumpeting.

Curious, the demon took a drink of cold blood from the head he had taken from the leader-apparent of the day's earlier bandit encounter and moved calmly but quickly towards the source of the noise. If somebody was walking an elephant through such a place, then the hope was that they would at least prove interesting, themselves.

It was not long before he happened across the silhouette of the elephant and its rider eking out through the mist like the shadows of ghosts. They seemed largely if not wholly unaware of the danger they were in, though, unfortunate enough to not be ethereal spirits lost to the hills. For such a thing, it only seemed proper that Horo greeted them, to let them know that they were not truly alone beyond one another's company.

Quietly and quickly he drew his blade with his right hand, keeping the severed head gripped firmly in his left. The madman's arm reached back with the pale sword, locking for a moment as it extended as far back as it could reach before whipping forward with only the slightest rustle of his feathers. From that one swing the mists would begin to violently part towards the elephant and its rider, carrying the raw force of the Pale Fiend's power. After the strike found its completion, he would begin to chuckle through the mists, stepping back to obscure his form as the fog began to roll back over where it had been torn asunder.

ooc

Taven
Member Avatar

There it was again...That feeling one gets when they're being watched. That feeling where a person knows something bad is going to happen to him. Kaess used to warn him that there creatures in this world that were more powerful than him, and Taven was confident that he had not felt this intense of a feeling in his life. Whether or not this was one of these creatures was yet to be seen.

Looking around Taven tried to ready his guard, but he did not know where to focus his defense. Luckily for him he was a defensive fighter, so he would be difficult to take down even if he was caught by surprise. Just as this thought crossed his mind he saw the mist begin to part away as a large burst of pressure burst through at him. Taven managed to turn around while saddled on his elephant and put his arms up in a defensive position. This did not appear to be enough as he was knocked clear off his elephant and on to the dirt. Maharaja faired a bit better as he was merely nudged backwards a bit. It would take more than that level of force to make him lose his footing.

Taven was no run of the mill monk, and was quite a competent fighter in his own right, but it was doubtful that he was ready for an opponent such as this. Especially in these conditions. The odds may have been against him, but that would not stop him from trying.

Shifting his weight up Taven used his immense strength to get back on his feet and look in the direction that the blast came from. From that point he looked over to his elephant who began to stomp around nervously. Looking back up in the direction of his newfound foe Taven yelled up, "Who are you? and why do you attack?"

Taven did not necessarily expect an answer, but he was confident in his ability to defend against this creature. It was undoubtedly strong, but he doubted it could get past his defenses. Taven was ironclad in adamantine armor and while slower than most the large monk wore it with relative ease.

Ogichi
Member Avatar
GOGI

There was a certain cutting force lost to those powerful distant strikes, turning more into force or rending against the world rather than those in it, but it still made a fantastic method of moving pieces from one place to another. It sounded as though there were a thud against the fog, the rider of the elephant stricken down, though he fell with force heavier than might be expected. Some sort of heavy armor, meaning that blind distant strikes would fare poorly at anything more than harassing him in the double blind of the mist.

"Why? Why ask why?" The fiend chuckled with an ethereal echo, taking a final sip from his severed head before tossing it towards the source of the questioning voice, letting it roll out of his golden gaze and to the other's, "He asked 'what?' More specifically, 'What's attacking us?!' I don't think the answer made him feel any better."

Horo began pacing about in a circle, gauging just how much space was actually available in case this turned into more of a fight. Where the trees were, how far the trail might go, but he had to stay careful not to get too close lest the true battle become initiated. Besides, he wanted to let the blood settle a little more in his stomach before taking up another encounter. The sensation of sloshing from drinking too much and moving too fast was hardly pleasant.

"You must be either brave or foolish to wander in these mists alone, with nothing but an elephant to ride upon." Ogichi remarked, his steps slow but rhythmic. He could fight blind, but that did little good when all he could really gauge was where the enemy was in such a clustered environment. Perhaps he could cut the trees down, but that would take an effort he did not wish to expend just yet, "You might be wondering which I am with a question like that. I'm neither. I'm the monster wandering in them, looking to eat up unsuspecting fools, but what would bring you across my dinner plate?"

Taven
Member Avatar

"I like to know who I'm fighting!" Taven barked back at the creature in the mist. Just as he said the words he saw a head rolling towards his feet. This did not frighten Taven as much as filled him with a understanding of what type of fight this was going to be. This human, good or bad, did not deserve such treatment as to be carried along. Sure, Taven had to kill at times, but he'd never do anything barbaric like desecrating a body. "It's now apparent of what kind of creature you are" Taven said strongly remarking at the creatures distasteful actions.

There was an ever slight pause in the mists. It almost seemed calm given the circumstances. He did not feel the almost insignificant chill in the air, or was that fear? Fear was a useful emotion, but one that he had rarely felt. He had felt like he was in danger several times, but there was something different about this creature.

Before long the monk began to hear pacing around him, but it was almost too quiet to pinpoint. Taven was uneasy to go on the offensive in this fight, especially since he knew so little about his opponent. He knew the creature was strong enough to knock him off his elephant at a rather significant distance, so he would make sure he stayed on the defensive. Those type of attacks had to be tiring.

"I find life to be all the better when you're a little bit of both." Taven said in an unexpected joking manner. The creature than asked why he was in the mists, specifically why he had crossed his dinner plate Taven couldn't have that. He had more important things to do than to be eaten by this creature. "I am simply passing through from the great volcano to Istan! I have business there. Do you live in these mists, monster?" Taven asked curiously....

Ogichi
Member Avatar
GOGI

"Istan? I think you got lost in a more spectacular and unfortunate way." Horo remarked, fairly certain on his geographical knowledge. Even with an elephant, going from Therab to Istan, the Hills of Mist seemed rather out of the way. Even planning on killing this stranger, the demon felt he needed to appreciate the little things like absurdities. Perhaps there was another reason behind it, like stopping by a village or Daisan on the way, or wanting to find some rampant elementals across ley-lines.

"If you knew what I am, you would know who I am. If you knew who I am, then all your questions about me would be answered." The Pale Fiend spoke with amusement to his tone. Those who sought to prove their worth as heroes against the Pale Fiend, even lacking fear, spoke with a sense of confidence and knowing, of a readiness to face the challenge. Those otherwise spoke with concern for their own well-being. This man spoke with neither, a lost soul in the Mists who came across the last true monster left in Chaon, "If your questions were answered, then you would not bark about fights with such confidence."

Once the fiend had a general idea of the layout of the area, having walked around the pair of the rider and the elephant, the demon approached this stranger with a slow and obvious pace of heavy footfalls. He would stop just out of his own blade's reach, close enough to be seen through the frog, for his lack of color to be apparent. His clothes were loose-fitting for good movement, the white offset with black trim and belt. Rather than hair he had long feathers protruding from his scalp, falling back behind him. His eyes were two golden against the blackness of his scalera. A wide and maddened grin stretched across his alabaster face, aimed at the armored prey, "Do you understand? Or are you uneducated?"

ooc
Edited by Ogichi, Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:36 pm.

Taven
Member Avatar

"It's true...It might not be the most direct way to get to Istan, but it will be needed to strengthen my resolve. My business in Istan is not something that I would like to go into as weak as I currently am. I need to get stronger to do what needs to be done." Taven said speaking unexpectedly honestly to the creature in the mist.

So, he's speaking in riddles now...Taven hated riddles. "Then answer my question already!" He screamed out in annoyance. He was fine prior to this, but the clear, mocking tone that the creature was taking was beginning to irritate the monk.

Taven suddenly stopped as he saw a figure come through the mist. He saw the paleness of the creatures face, long feathers, and unmistakable gold on black eyes. It was then it all clicked. He heard of a creature like this, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

"I want you to talk to me real slowly. Unfortunatly, I'm not the brightest..." Taven said in response to the creature mocking him about his education. "Just give me your name. I don't like fighting enemies without knowing their names"

It was clear that this creature was notable. He knew he had heard stories of someone that fit this description, but he could not remember the name. Once he had the name he was confident that it would come back to him.

Ogichi
Member Avatar
GOGI

"Then you should really listen when people speak around the fires." The Pale Fiend said, taking a good look at the thickness of the armor that his enemy was wearing. Judging by the thickness of the metal and the way the massive man wore it, it seemed safe to assume a lot of things with a glance. Armor-heavy, strong, but no discernible weaponry. Adamantine armor with a preference to unarmed combat, an infighter on the offensive, but likely slower and more difficult to maneuver in all that gear despite his strength compared to the demon's light cloth. Everything else would depend on training, focus, and the time spent honing those abilities, "And we're not enemies, for what good is a name to a dead man?"

Everything taken in, Horo brought his sword behind him once more before whipping it forward, this time in full view of is enemy. This time, he wanted this armored stranger to see what was coming, to understand a simple difference between them as clearly as any element. Once more the mist would be rent apart by the force of the strike tearing through the air, tearing its way through to test the adamantine armor and its bearer once more, but with the demon able to better study its affects with his own two eyes.

"I want for greater fights these days, I'll admit, but I'm unsure if I'll find one with you." The fiend said as the blade lowered once more to the ground, amusement lining his ethereally echoing words, "Yet I'm never disappointed with a kill. You won't be the first or the last adamantine bearer I've killed, but you might be the first I don't need a Cutter for, so you can take pride in that to your afterlife."

ooc

Taven
Member Avatar

"I'm afraid I've never been one for ghost stories..." Taven said softly, but was lying through his teeth. He was eager to know who this demon was, but doubted it mattered at this point. "A name can do a lot. It brings a mutual level of respect between foes, but from the way you're talking you don't view me as a foe. You view me as meat, so we might as well get this over with..." Taven said rising in temper. "But I hope you don't mind if I pester you with questions as we go along. A fight without conversation can be a bit droll".

Taven looked down his opponent trying to evaluate the man as quick as he could. He saw a long blade that could be swung swiftly and that the man had little to no armor. Taven guessed that the man would be using his speed advantage throughout the fight. This would be trouble, but it's nothing Taven hasn't dealt with before. Almost all of his opponents were faster then him, but that was no reason to take this challenge lightly.

The demon swung his sword swiftly aiming down at him. The blow cut through the thick air and blew it away with a force that was unfamiliar to Taven. Lifting his arms up in an X formation he attempted to block the weapon. He expected there to be a clash of steel, so he braced for the impact. Defense was his strong suit, so he doubted the blow would be enough to due him in. The blast did do significantly more than he expected as Taven was pushed backward a few feet by the intense force. Over all Taven was well and good, but he knew this was going to be a tough battle.

"Honestly, who knows. I could be nothing and die within an instant, or I could be the fight of your life. We won't know until we continue this". Taven said as he prepared for a counter attack. Pulling his knee up moved forward and stomped the ground with all his strength. A large boulder rose from the ground and then the monk punched forward and the boulder followed suit. The large rock flew towards the demon with a high velocity. Taven expected the creature would dodge, but wondered how quick he would be able to do so.

Ogichi
Member Avatar
GOGI

The retaliation came, a bit unexpected as anything would be given the start of a fight with a stranger, but not surprising. A boulder straight from the earth, a similar probing shot like the Pale Fiend's first two had been, but a bit more obvious in the fog. It was a bit high off the ground, level enough to hit the demon if he stayed in place, but even Horo was not that crazed. Ducking underneath the propelled stone was a simple and fluid motion, ending with the practically colorless fiend standing much as he had before the projectile was launched at him, even his visage through the mist unchanged as the rock found the end of its travel somewhere behind him.

Earthen Fist, a stony fighter, likely more experienced in close combat and lumbering strikes. The armor was likely more than just for show, it rarely was with the rare wearers of such a heavy metal. Direct strikes would be faulty, but the demon was confident in his ability to find the openings in that thick armor. It had been a while since the demon fought a Primal practitioner, so at the very least this would prove refreshing.

"I highly doubt this will be anything worth learning from." Chuckled the madman with a shrug at a so far lackluster display from his current victim-to-be.

From a standstill to a charge in an instant, the demon quickly closed the gap between himself and the self-confident armored opponent. Ogichi leapt from the ground, throwing both feet forward at the breastplate of the stranger, landing in a fashion at a sideways angle before kicking off with demonic strength to see if he could clue the other person into just how bad of an idea this fight was going to prove. Though, it was not like he expected even such a large person to get very far very fast hefting that armor on his body.

ooc

Taven
Member Avatar

Taven listened closely to his boulder strike to see if he could hear it make contact. Instead of the sounds of flesh or bones the monk only heard the boulder crash against the ground. Honestly, Taven did not expect that attack to make contact, but did it's job to measure his opponents speed and ability. He would have to do better in the future. The demon than mocked him again by saying there was nothing he could learn from him, "Fair enough!" The monk exclaimed.

It was difficult to find his opponent through this thick fog, but luckily he had a way to fix this problem. He was sure-footed and could see the mans location through the tremors in the earth. Taven felt the creature run towards him and prepare for another attack. Just as this happened the demon seemed to vanish from his senses. A jump, no doubt. The man would prepare for an attack, but what kind would he be facing? The monk knelt down to pick up a rock off the ground and imbued it with his primal energy. Taven then aimed his right hand upward expecting to block a blade slash from the air. Instead the demon kicked at his stomach. It was an attack that Taven was not expecting and it hit even harder. Despite his surprise Taven managed to throw the rock imbued with his primal energy. The range was close, so Taven was confident, but he knew better than to expect a hit with this opponent.

The force of the kick knocked Taven backwards and he kicked off the ground to keep the momentum. He wanted to get as far away from the earth bomb as he could. If the earth bomb made contact, or was within a 10 foot radius of the demon then it would explode into a mass of mud. If the demon was caught in the mud then his speed would decrease significantly which Taven hoped would be enough to turn the tide of this battle.

OOC: Tremor Sense, Earth Bomb, Master Athletics, Master Defense
Edited by Taven, Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:16 pm.

Ogichi
Member Avatar
GOGI

The kick was successful, but it left Ogichi with little aerial maneuverability as his victim blindly throw out an inconveniently empowered stone. Even if the damage was negligible to the Pale Fiend, the mud that burst from the rock tossed towards him was thick and heavy, clinging quickly to the demon in a burst of earth that coated him within a moment.The demon still stuck his landing, but he could feel the moist weight clinging to his body and pinning down his clothes like a gang of irate dwarves attempting to wrestle him to the ground.

"Fighting a quick-thinking Earthen Fist blind. What a dirty experience" Horo sighed as he gave a quick few experimental swings with his blade, including some fine cuts at the thicker globules of wet earth attached to him. It was actually more surprising how many tended to forget about this little trick, favoring more direct approaches. It definitely made it a slight trial to move, doubtlessly slowing him down somewhat but with his strength and speed, particularly compared to that of his enemy, he could retain a certain level of agility as well as employ some other fine tricks that were rarely warranted.

Burning can detect heat, Flowing can detect moisture, Windblown can detect motion through air, and Earthen can detect vibrations through the ground. In the Hills of Mist, the other three primary schools of elemental combat would have proven a hindrance impossible to hide from, but the demon was fortuitous to find himself faced with the grounded latter-most. There was a simply way to work around both the sense and the mud without that quick leaping that he was fond of.

From the demon's back sprouted two wings as white as his flesh like wax melted into form. They cut momentarily through the thick fog, forming around his silhouette like the ghost of an angel waking from behind him before lashing downwards in a powerful burst that had him ascend into the opaque sky with a jump-assisted flight, with his position only betrayed by the sound of them striking air as he moved for one of the trees he had confirmed the location of earlier to perch in and see to a moment of cleaning off some of the mud before it dried.

"Don't tell me the best you can hope to accomplish is dirtying my clothes!" The fiend taunted from above, carefully bringing the the edge of his alabaster-white sword through a clump of mud before flicking it off with an adjoining invisible force towards a rough guesstimate of where his opponent might have trotted off to before the stone erupted. If it missed, it missed, but even the demon could not see effortlessly through this obscuring weather.

ooc

Taven
Member Avatar

Taven landed his shot, but it was clear that this battle was far from over. Even though he slowed the demon down it would appear that he was far, far faster. "Yes, unfortunately it's clear that you're faster than me. Hell, you might be stronger than me too. Quick-thinking is what's going to save me". Taven said smirking slightly only to hide a face a worry. He was in trouble and he knew it, but fighting was the only way out of this situation. There was plenty left in his arsenal, but he just had to find the right time.

Taven looked over sharply as the demon leaped from the ground. He shifted his body to prepare for another attack. Reaching backwards he grabbed his large tower shield and gripped it with both of his hands. He would need his shield to defend against the demons strikes. What happened next was very strange. The demon never came down, and neither did an attack of any kind? What was happening? The only thing that Taven could guess was that he had the ability to fly which worried him greatly. He would be completely blind if his enemy wasn't touching the ground.

Turning around to the sound of the demons voice. He mocked him once more, but Taven didn't care much about his enemies opinions of him. "Don't worry...This battle is far from over". Turning towards the demon he struck outward with his shield to trigger a rock shot. A large boulder would shoot towards the demon trying to strike him from his tree.

Just as he did this the demon made his own attack which very well could have destroyed Taven's in the process. Taven still had his shield in hand, so he was able to block the ruinous strike. Of course this did not come without strain. The large monk was pushed backwards, but was otherwise protected by his large adamantine tower shield.

OOC

Ogichi
Member Avatar
GOGI

A retaliation, blind in the fog but aimed towards a sound. The fiend could almost respect the choice, but all it did for him was confirm the place by which the prey he played with was standing. The tree cracked and quivered as the stone blindly fired went low, breaking the bark with its weight and resulting in a trembling and crying as the lumber began to buckle from the shock. For the demon on the branch, the world was beginning to turn from his perch and the only options he held were to ride it our or fly while he still had height to ease the act.

The fiend leapt from the tree and let his wings spread, allowing him to glide momentarily before his feet found purchase on something wide yet not quite ground. The back and the seat of the elephant belonging to the earthen fist, someplace that would only be a temporary standing ground before the beast inevitably objected to the sudden predator on its back, but he only needed a moment.

"Any fool can think quick. An idea seems good on the first thought, but without a second, you act without truly thinking." The Pale Fiend critiqued before throwing out another ruinous strike before kicking off from the elephant and taking off upwards towards another tree. There he could wait for the response from the adamantine-clad primal practitioner while he returned to removing some of the mud, finding it a pesky thing. As he recalled, there was a river not too far away that he could stop in once this fiasco was over to wash his clothes and get a proper bath.

Quietly in the fog, the beast that followed the madman through fields of blood and meals lurked. Large as a bear and far heavier with the steel jutting from its body, spines of processed metal regrown naturally. It was beginning to hunger once more, not having had nearly enough time to enjoy the prior meal before its provider was off again, but it was still patient. The reptilian creature stayed on the ground between the trees, watching and waiting for something that looked like a ready meal from the vague silhouettes and the noise. There would doubtlessly be food.

Taven
Member Avatar

Maharaja trumpeted in anguish when the demon landed on him. He shifted his body weight around trying to get him off. Taven, now flustered, looked at the direction of the feared creature. "Get off of him!" Taven screamed out, almost pleading. "This is between you and I" He added hoping that the demon would leave him alone. He would strike out, but he feared that he would hit his friend instead.

Taven ignored the demons words. He was more concerned regarding his elephant than anything, but little did he know that the creature had already jumped off his back. Little did he know that the demon let out another ruinous strike and this one would cause more damage. A elongated dent crossed his chest plate as he let out a slight grunt in pain. Grabbing his chest he stood up taller and prepared for another onslaught.

Taven then sensed something. There was something here. Something big. Something monstrous. "Run Maharaja! Get out of here!"

The large elephant ignored his command and stayed by his friend and charged towards the new creature as fast as he could.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Hills of Mist · Next Topic »

Top RP SitesVote for Imythess at Top Site List Planet
Top Site Lists
Misty Woods created by Helena & Cory of ZNR