Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My Dog Day Journal
Topic Started: Mar 8 2008, 09:44 AM (1,431 Views)
ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Because I have 3 dogs left in my household who are all aging, I believe it is therapeutic for me to write about their remaining days.

Today, Moses, who has cancer showed a positive reaction to his second added pain pill. I saw him place his paw to the ground. Praise God because this is the affect the Vet said I would see by adding an opiate to his regime.

Today, Lucky's right face is swollen and sticking out quite noticeably. He must have a tooth infected for the gum is more than triple the size. DH would not let me call the Vet so I gave Lucky an antibiotic for infection and an aspirin for pain. I will call the Vet Monday when DH is gone and will try to schedule a Tuesday appointment when he is gone. Problem, Lucky needs to be muzzled when he goes to the Vet so I am not sure what arrangements the Vet will make for the examination.

If you have pet concerns, write away here with me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Dear Editor:

:bless: to you on this journey! In my life, I have had four dogs and one rabbit.

I cannot imagine what you are going through with three dogs at one time. My words are so feeble, but just want you to know the compassion I feel. We know that God IS and will provide.

:hug:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Candy, I know what you are going through and am praying for you. We had a similar situation with Maxx. Now our problem is that Daisy just refuses to be housebroken at 7 months. Trying to get her trained to use the litter pan, she does only about 1/2 the time. Rosebud seemed so easy. We were thinking we may have to train them both to go outside. We'll see how that goes.

I know you are doing all you can for your Boys and they appreciate your good care.
Quote Post Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Candy, I am glad to hear something positive concerning Moses. :hug: Oh, your poor Lucky. I am so sorry. I am miffed at your dh not letting you call the vet. :bam: I am glad you had something to give him. :hug: Praying for your fur babies and your situation at home. Let us know how vet visit goes. :bless:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Ironia, Dave and Barbara---what a lovely surprise to see your support. We pet lovers must stand together. Dave, my DD's youngest pet had the same problem. After a test for cause it was determined she was not an obstinate learner but a dog that had some type of crystals (not quite stones forming) and a pill of some sort and cranberry extract relieved her of this disorder which had originally been thought of a behavioral problem. If you want more details I will have Michele email you. In fact, just yesterday, she asked how you were. Lucky's swelling is already reduced today. I know there is a problem, but it was a blessing to behold.

At Dawn's Early Light. Seems I only think well in the early AM hours of the day.

So that you may become familiar with me and my great heart for animals, as I desire to know you better, I will use this time to tell you about what runs through my head.

God has a sense of humor and you better believe it. I was distraught yesterday, My youngest dog has bone cancer. I said when I had to add the recommended opiates to his daily routine I would put him down. He has so much life left in him, that I humbly eat those words. Yesterday he began supplementing his pain killer with a narcotic. In just two dosages I see the relief it gave him (Moses) and he now is able to place his paw on the floor. I now understand that an opiate does not rob one of quality of life as I thought, but just lends aid in "eating the pain away."

Oh yeah, why does God have a sense of humor? Because I received His message to lighten up. As I gave Moses' dosage this morning, on the prescription bottle it says, "Do not take this drug if you become pregnant". As a neutered boy this was to absurd for me not to note.

May you all see the ways God attempts to speak, "Love and laugh." That is the cure for gloominess. Have a blessed day and be a blessing to others.

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
ah dear sweet candy my heart goes out to u
for i love my dog and know how much u love yours
u will get through this i am sure
i am here for u candy
love rosie :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Rosie! How is Ben these days?

Moses' comfort level appears to be stabilized for about 10 hours at a time. The Vet said he would adjust the dosage either way depending on what I see. I am content right now with the medication. Lucky "looks" like not a thing is wrong. I asked DH is he was sure Lucky did not just get whacked in the face in the woods on his walk. Now, neither of us are sure because the swelling went down as rapidly as it came about.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Editor -- I just read your recent posts! So happy Lucky's swelling has gone down!

Quote:

Do not take this drug if you become pregnant.
I appreciate the humor! So glad that Moses' comfort level has improved!

Blessings!

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Candy, that is great about Lucky's swelling going down. I am certainly glad Moses has a better comfort level. :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Ironia and Barbara. I failed to credit God for voiding the trip to the Vet for Lucky. I was so concerned because Lucky has to wear a muzzle there and I kept on wondering how we would accomplish that oneI am pubically proclaiming that God loves and cares and healed him. :praise:

I was just sitting on the sofa and kissing Moses and telling him how much I love him. The boys are always here for me and the house is not as empty. You ladies sure help too!

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
To God be the glory! What is the status of your third dog?

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Einstein is doing good. Last year he had an Urinary Tract Infection 7 times and would bend him over where he couldn't even walk. Two weeks of antibiotics would knock it out but it would reoccur again. We finally put him on cranberry pills after reading this holistic approach works for some animals. That cured him and he has been fine! That was also Divine intervention.

The Vet bills are always in our face, but Dick and I are healthy. So we can't have it all. :)

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
candy so glad to hear u dogs improving i know what it like when they are sick
but u are doing u best and giving them lotsof love
ben is good but getting old now he is 15 and has pains in joints
but he is doing well
love u sis
love rosie :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Rosie, I have two of my dogs on Glucosomine. The Vet says it really helps for joint arthritis. It can be purchased in a drug store without a prescription. I stick a tablet a day in a piece of hot dog for them. It is just a supplement. Although I can't see benefits, my Vet said I would see a big difference if they were not on it. Ben is up there in age. I am so happy he is living a long full life.

My doggies are good today and I rejoice in another day spent with my pals.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Missing the moments Moses and I always spent together in the early hours of the A.M. when only he and I were up in the household bonding together. He is sleeping in and I don't awake him for his medicine and breakfast until he is ready.

Dick is not handling this well and I want to be more sensitive to him. It is a struggle, but God sees fit that we function as a unit and I appreciate the time God has given me and not a sudden death.

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Candy, I know you miss your bonding with Moses, but at least he seems to be in less pain. I know I would miss that too with my fur babies. Still keeping you and fur babies in my prayers. I will be praying for Dick also. :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thank You so very much, Barbara.

Just now I saw Moses, lay on the blankets we have for him on the floor, and roll back and forth on his back like a contented dog does srcatching his back with pleasure.. He is so precious and this reminded me that he is well enough to do this. I must stay focused on the life of simple pleasures a doggie displays.

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
My Candy likes to roll around on her back also like she is scratching it. She makes these little noises in her throat. It is really cute. In times like these, it is such precious things they do that will be precious memories.

I remember my precious Charity I had. She was a german shepherd mutt. She loved ice cubes no matter what time of year. Even if we were just going to the refrigerator, she would run over to get an ice cube. She never made a mess with it. That is such a precious memory for me.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Charity is such a beautiful name for a pet. First I have ever heard it and I am mindful of how special she must have been

Moses' appetite is great. Of all our dogs he has always been the chow hound. He gets extra food twice a day because the medicine needs to be taken with a meal. He duly notes that something special in his bowl.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I had not told Dick that I had added Blackstrap Molasses to Moses' diet. We were almost out so I had to tell him and ask that he look for it on his travels. He thought it was a good idea and was glad I was trying it. A sigh of relief and he found a jar of it yesterday.

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
glad to hear you got the mollasses for you dog candy
you enjoy them as much as you can my friend
love rosie
thinking of you candy

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thank you, Rosie!

Moses woke up at 3:15 this morning. Wated to chat with his Mommy I guess. He was so vocal I had to sshh him and tell him to go back to sleep before he woke up the rest of the house. That's my boy!

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Editor: So glad that Moses is comfortable and knows that he is loved!

:hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Ironia. Other than typically only using 3 legs, one would never know his condition. I am really grateful for this time.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I joined an email group for dogs with bone cancer. It is far too depressing. I was going to immediately discontinue, but it did save me a call or trip to the Vet. When we took Moses in there was swelling which made us hopeful that it was just nerves or tendon. The swelling was really up this past weekend and the Vet wasn't in until Tuesday. I did learn from the email list that others went through this, had X-rays, cat scans, all that expensive stuff done and the inconvenience to the dog to see that tumors appear on the inside of the bone and that they can again burst and dissolve. There is nothing surgically to be done and the swelling and pain will go down. He was yipping this morning so all I have to do next is to see if his medication mg needs to be increased, or if it is just the uncomfortable way he was trying to sleep up on the sofa this morning.

He still cries and makes groaning noises when Dick takes the two other dogs for a walk in the woods, but now he doesn't try to whisk out the door with them.

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
That is so cute when he woke you up to talk. I am sorry he still is doing some crying. :hug: Enjoy your time with your fur baby. :hug: :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Barbara. I appreciate your supportive voice. Moses is doing fine. Daddy however is full of anxiety. The Vet was so precious. He told us not to even tell Moses he has cancer. Just treat him as normal. I do and his secret is safe with me.

Anita
No Avatar
God's Grace Stability
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You and your furry companions are in my prayers, Candy.
I know how much an animal can mean to a person.
My Dotty has been great company and a faithful watchdog these past couple of months. I used to say, She's still just a dog, but she's become a bit more than that lately.
God bless you.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thank you so very much, Anita. Yes, with all my boys there came that time that they crossed over from being a dog to being an expression of God's steadfast love for me.

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
CANDY THINKING OF U MY FRIEND
MOES IS SO SPECIAL TO HAVE U
I HOPE HE IS NOT IN TO MUCH PAIN
LOVE ROSIE :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Rosie. He is managing fine. Joggers out on the road made him run up to the front of the drive to bark at them. One time when he wasn't told he was a naughty boy. :)

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Editor: So glad to read that Moses is alert and watchful!

Blessings!

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Ironia. He is so much like his normal self (other than the leg) that I asked DH today if I could take him to a different Vet for a second opinion. He declined, but I do remember our Vet saying there was no way he could know how agressive the cancer would be.

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Candy, I am glad Moses seems more like his normal self. Am continuing to pray for your fur baby. :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Barbara. Love and woof to your girls.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Moses is doing good. Dick keeps asking, over and over, "How is my boy?" He is a loving and happy little guy and I am so glad he belongs to this family.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Candy, I am so glad to hear that Moses is doing well. Thanks for the update! :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Candy, I am so glad Moses is doing good. :hug: to your fur baby.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks Bud for your pups update.Im happy for him .
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thank you so very much, Dave, Barbara and Nancy for your continuing interest and support of Moses.

I so much wanted the Spring to arrive. He loves the sun. Each day he actually climbs up on our picnic table and lays in the sun for at least an hour. Nothing has changed with him at all. He is still my (big) little boy that loves life and simple pleasures.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Editor, so loved reading the account of Moses basking in the sun! (for one hour even!) How precious!

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thank you so much for your comment, Ironia. I can't even work myself up into an hour of sunshine at a dose. He inspires me to know instinctively what is good for him.

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
candy glad to hear moses is doing ok
and that we loves to bask in the sun
love rosie :hug: :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Rosie! He is quite a boy. Yesterday Dick was gone all day. Moses actually did his happy dance (like he used to) when Dick came home. Dick noted it and I thought he would almost cry with joy. No matter what happens to our pets, they are cherished, loved and appreciated each and every day that we have them.

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
that good to hear candy moses doing his dance
i know how much i love ben he is old now, but at bedtime he lies up beside me i would be lost with out him
love rosie :hug:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Candy, I am so glad Moses is doing well. Our "girl puppies" Rosebud and Daisy have enjoyed the outdoors this weekend. They get going and just run and run around the yard and play with eachother. It is so much fun to watch them. :dog: :dog:
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Good report Bud.
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Dave and Nancy for celebrating living with me. Our boys suffered frm cabin fever just like their Mommy and is happy for the sunny days.

Dick is so overprotective, but he did take Moses down to the pond yesterday. Moses, promptly walked in and enjoyed himself.

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Candy, I am so glad Moses is dancing and enjoyed the pond. That warms my heart. My two pugs, Duchess and Annie like to do happy dances too. Love to watch them do that. :wub:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Barbara for your encouraging words. Do you know last year my DD was trying to talk me into a new pet---and it was the Pug. I was almost convinced when she sent me a petfinder thread, but I am relieved I did not give in to taking on another boy in my life.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · All God's Creatures · Next Topic »
Add Reply