Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Elimate Emotional Eating; Why
Topic Started: Jan 1 2008, 10:06 AM (8,421 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Lose the weight in 2008
Are you an emotional eater, if so this could help you. I know it will help me.
Why do we eat to try to cover emotions.
Share the emotion if you like.
Ask for help
Pray for one another.
Please share the progress.

:suc: This will work perfect here.

What causes you to overeat emotionally.
Too Lonely
Too tired
Too Angry
Disappointment
Hurt
Fear
We will see where this goes.
:bless: :only:

Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Faye, you will have hit a raw nerve for sure. Out of 365 days last year, I was 363 emotionally binge free. Progress and continuing victory this year, in the name of Jesus, shall continue. And clever challenge title

Thank you for ALL your initiative on this and GT. I will read along and try to find, articles, tips and encouragement from the heart for you and all that can see it isn't food to blame for excessive weight gain, but the emotional person who handles it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:suc: I went of with my Mother, brother, sister and husband Fred for lunch yesterday.
It was a good social event and a good meal.
Fred and I ate salad while everybody ate steak, baked potato, french fries, texas toast, ice cream, banana pudding and sweet tea.
I was really good for us to be together. I could have easily celebrated with the same meal they ate.
This is a situation where it helps if family and friends know of your changed dietary pattern.
A small steak would have been okay, but I did not want to be tempted by that big baked potato, what they call butter and texas toast that comes on the plate.

Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Faye
With much praying I decided that this one challenge would be good for me since this is my worst weakness, emotional eating.

Part of why I hesitated was because I am hoping that I am not setting myself up for failure when I am joining so many challenges. But then God showed me that the challenges I have so far joined is what I need help in. So here I am for this challenge.

Lastnight is an example for me and only because I was bored....not hungry and needed something in my mouth. That is when the craving for something sugary attacked me....but I made it. :bana:

:glory:
Lori

Deleted User
Deleted User

Messing with lifes problems and not know how to Trust and give God complete Control causes me to over eat at times.
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Faye, Lori and Nancy, I have added this to your signature.

Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thankyou Bud for both of them.
Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
Thank you Editor

Toni
Member Avatar
Trustee
This is an area that trips me up every time. It's what halted my progress 18 months ago. I will be joining this challenge! Thank you Faye!

Lori: I'm proud of you for taking the step to join! We can do this together, Sis!

Nancy: I'm proud of your weight loss since I was here last! You should be proud of you, too!

Editor: I'm so proud of you and your 363 days! That's a long time to be faithful and you should be proud, too!!

I have done well the last two days. I have a challenge coming up in the next couple of days. A big emotional issue. With God and your support, I know I can do this!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Candy, thank You for adding the new graphics for me.
Thank you for making the no emotional eating graphic for us.

Tonight Fred had to go back out to work as soon as I got home.
He had no control over the situation.
It messed up my plans for dinner.
I was a bit upset.
Cold Salmon is not good.
I told him I would wait til he got back to make dinner.
I did wait, but I wanted to eat.
I was very near doing some emotional eating.
I came to my computer and started reading post that had been made since I was on this morning.
I was saved by the fact that I had just started this challenge.
Another situation where it helps to admit your short comings to family and friends.
Dinner was very good. It was just about an hour later than I had hoped.

No emotional eating today.
Quote Post Goto Top

Toni
Member Avatar
Trustee
Good job, Faye! Awesome!!!!!

I came close tonight, but just said no. I think it was boredom. Thought I was hungry, but not sure, so I didn't eat. Now I'm going to bed happy. :)

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Back at you bud, Lori, Faye and Toni!

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
:iam: Not sure if I an emotional eater or not.
Not sure why I over eat?
I just eat.
Think maybe it is a mixture of emotional eating and habit eating.
Still I think this is a good challenge.
Hope to learn more from it.
Need to find my way out of this jail :jail:

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn: Friends
Toni, I could feel the feelings you had when you went to bed.
If you are like me you will wake up even happier.
Sunny, Good point. I know I have eaten out of habit as well as emotional eating.
I can be bored and start eating.
I can be sleepy and eat something to keep me awake.
Last night our dinner plans were not going my way and I wanted to go to my friend food.
God made Food for nutrition.
God did not make food to be a friend.

When I use food as a friend I get fat. Plain and simple.

Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
Well, yesterday was a total disaster for me. First off I woke up totally anxious for some reason and went through most of day with that feeling.
And then had a situation with Nathan, my son, dropping a very hot bowl of oatmeal straight from the microwave onto his legs and foot. So we ended up with an emergency appointment at the clinic and came out with 1st and 2nd degree burns.
I felt so bad for my little boy...one I should have put the oatmeal in one of my tupperware bowls that don't get so hot instead of a glass bowl....
and I should have been the one to carry it for him instead of calling him to do it!
With all this plus a few little situations dumped on top...let's just say that the anxiety feelings doubled and I had a headache for rest of day.
I should have come on here for prayer but didn't....I fell into one of those moods that I shut myself away from everyone and I know that I need to stop allowing myself to fall into those moods.
Plus I totally forgot....or chose to forget.....that I joined this challenge.
After Nathan's appointment Rob bought lunch from McDonald's and I got what I usually get. The Fish meal with a large fries....not good. And I didn't hardly drink any water. I gave in to all my craving, that includes pop, chips and baked cookies.

This Challenge will be difficult for me but doesn't mean that I am going to give up.
I am coming to all my friend's for support and prayer for today, because I am still worked up from yesterday and this morning I don't have patience for anything. My kids have been extra naughty this morning and the day has only started. I can tell my bloodpressure is up and nothing has happened yet but I want to cry over nothing.

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
What is Emotional Eating?

Jennifer R. Scott,
Emotional Eating Defined
If you eat in response to your feelings, especially when you are not hungry, you are an emotional eater. Emotional eating means your emotions -- not your body -- dictate when and/or how much you eat.

The above was written by Jennifer Scott

I have decided to do some research into my eating habits.
Why am I eating?
Is it because I need food to satisfy my body or my emotions?
What emotion, if any, is causing me to eat?

Will report back with my findings.

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn:
This Challenge is a biggie for me too.
I hope you and Nathan are feeling much better today.
Today is a new day. Yesterday is gone forever.
Heavenly Father
I lift Lori, Nathan and her whole family up to you now.
I pray for peace comfort and love for Lori and her family.
I pray for her physical, emotional and spiritual well being.
I pray for comfort and healing for Nathan.
Amen.

No emotional eating for me yesterday.
Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
:hug: Thank you Faye for your prayers.

Today is much better but still have that anxiety feeling. Satan is really attacking me! I tend to be very emotioanl and very impatient when I feel this way. I am giving all to God.

And Nathan is doing very well, he is hardly in any discomfort which is good. I really put a guilt act upon myself for that because it could have been prevented with all the what if's and should have's......Nathan is the one that told me that everything was ok and it is not your fault Mommy. I love my sweet little boy!

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
Question…after finding out why we eat other that for the benefit of our body, how do we go about breaking the habit?

Answer… every time you want to put something in your mouth STOP think about what you are doing and GO and do something else.

The outcome will tell you if you are an emotional eater or if you are eating for the good of your body.

Lord, help us to better understand why we eat other than to satisfy the needs of the body.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thank you for your prayer.
Good work Sunnyday
Quote:

Jennifer R. Scott,
Emotional Eating Defined
If you eat in response to your feelings, especially when you are not hungry, you are an emotional eater. Emotional eating means your emotions -- not your body -- dictate when and/or how much you eat.

No Emotional Eating for me on Friday night.

Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:noon:
Sunnyday
I typed in Emotional Eating and lots of good stuff come up to read.
this is the only one I copied:
It's as plain as the crumbs on our faces:
We don't always eat because we are hungry.
I am going to go on the internet and read some more.
It is intresting to read other people's concept of emotional eating.
Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
:holy: No Emotional Eating on Friday!

:hug: Faye and Toni

Deleted User
Deleted User

I didnt emotion eat today either I was at Walmart and kept running into friends. One friend let me tag with her for the evening which made me feel good.
Quote Post Goto Top

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
Praise God for friends nm65.
Elkena, I praise God for helping you stand firm.
Faye, if you need a case study for emotional eating I will be you volunteer.

Quote:

The outcome will tell you if you are an emotional eater or if you are eating for the good of your body.

Yes, I am an emotional eater! I am an emotional eater! I am an emotional eater!

Lord, now that we know we are emotional eaters and more, help us to over come this for You glory.

Deleted User
Deleted User

No Emotional Eating for me on Saturday 1/05/08.
:cong: Lori & Nancy
Sunnyday how did you make out?
I have a case study at home. Me!
Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
:holy: No Emotional eating for me on Saturday!

Roseheart
Member Avatar
Trustee
Would you mind if I make a suggestion? Two? Thanks!

1) You could use the :suc: and :ed: to mark your progress here

EEE Eliminate Evening Challenge and Eliminate Emotional Eating
See, it works for both

2) If you can pinpoint the emotion that you're feeling, what if you turned in your bible (if it has one) to the scriptures "prescribed" for that emotion.

If you don't have one, I would be more than happy and willing to find out and post it here. I may just do that anyways.

I just wanted to encourage you. I think you'll all do very well and if you don't mind that I drop in from time to time to learn and to cheer you on! Thanks!

Roseheart
Member Avatar
Trustee
Here are a couple websites:

http://www.stmarksunnyvale.org/bible/bible..._find_help.html

http://www.bibles.com/pages/read-seasons-emotions

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
Rose heart thank you for your input.
Your suggestions are very helpful.
I will be looking for ways to dealing with emotions other than food.

Faye…Saturday was a disaster for me.
So far today is going well.
It is 16.29 with us. I have not been in the kitchen other than for breakfast and lunch.
The hard time will be after church when things get quiet.
Maybe I will do some research into emotional eating. That should keep me out of the kitchen and away from temptation.

I have just decides that I will be back here D.V. at bed time to report how my day went.
My goal is to be able to use all positive “smilies“ and no negative ones. :prayed:

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
It is almost time for bed and I am back to report how I did this evening.
Well do I have news for you or do I have news for you.
Reporting all positive smilies. :) :glory: :did: :brill: :broc: :amen: :cooly: :bana: :focus: :im: :clap: :veg: :vic: :power: :set:

No emotional eating today.

:glory: :an:

Toni
Member Avatar
Trustee
Great job Sunnyday! Awesome!

On Thursday I did some emotional eating. I got some bad news and let myself be pulled in to eat. I made healthy choices, but it was still emotional eating. My weekend went well though. :)

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
Toni, I totally empathise with you.
I am feeling very strong at the moment but I know there will be tough times ahead.
We are here for each other.
:rejoice: with those who are rejoicing in their :vic: s and weeping with those who are weeping over a failure. :hug:

Praying for small victories through out the day for everyone.

Deleted User
Deleted User

:cong: Sunnyday & Toni.
:suc: No Emotional eating on Sunday.
No emotional issues either. That made for an easy :suc:
Quote Post Goto Top

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
Another emotional eating free day. :rah: :tada:
Feels so good. :in: of my food instead of letting it control me.
Still taking one day at a time though.
Toni and Faye, :hal: :glory: for small :vic:s they all add up to :post:

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
:morn: all you :suc: friends just calling in to wish you all the best for today. Remember . :dont:
Talk to you later. :focus: and :feed:

Lord, give us the :vic: over emotional eating today so that we will bring glory to You.

:bless: today and always
Sunny.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:morn: Team. I am joining you on this Challenge because I am having problems in this area. Editor, when you have the time, could you insert the graphic for me. Thank you so much!

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn: Welcome Ironia
:cong: Sunnyday
:ghug:
Life was good yesterday. No temptation for emotional eating :glory: for another emotional free eating day.

Lord give us victory over emotional eating today. Amen
Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
Haven't had a chance to be on computer doing to being busy with Kaylie and then lastnight we had a severe thunderstorm.

Sunday :suc:
Monday :ed: ...I was so stressed and not feeling, plus being rushed, well by the time I got Kaylie home that I gave in to McDonald's and a candy bar and pop.

And right now I need prayer for today....it is going to be a major trial right now...issues going on between me and hubby.

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
Hi everyone. :wave:

Just got in from church. :aw: No one in the house. Very tempted to feel sorry for myself and satisfy self with emotional eating. :stress:
Instead, I decided to come here :stink: about food.

Good to have you on board Ironia. :hug:

Elkana, I have just read your scripture graphic. What wonderful promise the Lord gives. Wherever you are in your life, physically or emotionally God says He is with you wherever you are. Will be praying for you sister. :pal: Others have prayed for me when I was very low and God gave the :bless: . Asking God to give you the strength to hang on in there until the tide turns.

To all who won the :vic: over emotional eating today. :cooly: :clap: :rah:
:praise: God for it and don't forget to :pray: for others, we may need their prayes tomorrow.

How good is God. Hubby back home, son back home and the temptation to eat is gone. :feed: and grace today that got my mind of the desire to eat. Praising God for the :vic: again today.

Love to all.
sunny

Deleted User
Deleted User

Way to go Sunnyday.
:praise: the Lord.
Heavenly Father.
Bless Lori and her family.
I pray for peace, love and comfort for Loria and her family.
Help her to be strong.
Help them to settle issues.
Amen.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Congrats to those doing well with CONTROL !

Praying for you and family Lori.
I had some emotion eating today.When I was away.I need to read my Bible more but carry my journal hen Im awayand dont have access to my Bible.
Quote Post Goto Top

sunnyday
No Avatar
Sold Out To God
Just a quick hi before the day starts.
Grandchildren coming, one aged two and one aged ten months.
No problem using up calories today. :jog:
Will be thinking about my :suc: friends through out the day and :prayed: praying for :vic:
Talk later.

:bless: to all.

Deleted User
Deleted User

No emotional eating for me on Tuesday night. :suc:
Nancy, it is good that you know what you need to do to eliminate emotional when you are away.
Sunnyday, Grandchildren today! You will get lots of exercise and love today.
Have a great day.
:prayed:
Quote Post Goto Top

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) :morn: Team. My emotional eating was not too bad yesterday! Could have been worse. I want to not do any emotional eating -- hopefully, one day.

Faye: Thank you for the welcome!

Lori, computer problems can be frustrating. May the computer problems go away.

Sunny: May you have fun with your grandchildren today!

Nancy -- good points -- journaling and reading the bible!

:cong: all who experience little or no emotional eating!

Blessings Team.

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
:suc: Tuesday!! :hal: :glory: (((HUGS))) Sunny, Faye, Nancy and Ironia, Thank you all for your prayers!! I really felt all your prayers and the presence of our Lord yesterday.

I actually had motivation to get some much needed cleaning yesterday and got a lot done just before I had to leave for work. So too busy to think about any kind of eating when not hungry.

And the issues did calm down between hubby and I :glory: .

I do have off the next 4 days so one emotion that I will need a lot of prayer for is "boredom" which is what I find when I am home too much.

I am trying not to go out unless I have too because of gas prices. I am going to try to get some more cleaning done but limited now because hubby back to work 3rd shift so have to be quiet most of day. Plus I am so tired and starting to not feel well myself that all I want to do is lay around....which is where the boredom starts to come in!!!!!

I don't like to be on computer a whole day but if I don't do much today then I may stay on computer a bit more than normal just to keep my mind on other things....maybe I will do a couple of searches....give myself some homework!!! :lol:

:hug: :prayed: for my :suc: friends through out the day today.
Lori

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) :praise: God for your victory on Tuesday Lori!

:cong: on the fact that you have identified problem areas! May, you continue to stay focused and on course!

I am excited myself because I too did not do any emotional eating on yesterday!

:team:

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
:sup: Ironia for your success!!

Wednesday is a :suc: for me!

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn: :suc:
No bumbs in the road yesterday.
No temptation to eat emotionally
Great Day

I think this emotional eating thing catches me off guard.
I get consumed into the emotion and :bam: I hit the kitchen.
Nothing satisfies me,
because I'm not hungry.
So I keep eating.
I tell myself, that just isn't what I have a taste for;
I am like a wild woman, in the kitcken grabbing something else to eat, only to find I need to find an additional something else. A binge is on.
I think emotional eating is a lot of my fat problem.
This kind of thing always happens behind closed doors when Fred is not around or is asleep or taking a bath.
Does any of this sound familiar to anyone or am I unique?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn: Ladies
:cong: Ironia and Lori. :clap: :ghug:
Quote Post Goto Top

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Faye: I had emotional eating for years without knowing that is what it was. So glad that a handle is placed on the problem.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply