Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How Long Does It Take
Topic Started: Sep 29 2007, 01:48 AM (909 Views)
ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
DD is using CPAP. She asked me to ask you this:
Quote:

I still do not like my sleep mask.  I just don't like stuff on my face when
I am trying to sleep.  I did eventually fall asleep, and although I woke
up several times, I did sleep with it on for about 7 hours.  I did not feel
any better this morning, and was still tired when I woke up.      Do any of
your people remember how long it took to notice a difference in how they
felt?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn:

I noticed a difference after the first night sleeping with CPAP. If she does not notice a difference soon - I think within the next few days, she should talk to her doctor. The pressure on her machine may not be set correctly and not fully correcting her sleep apnea.
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I certainly appreciate your quick reply, Dave. When the health care dropped it off, that is all he did. It was my understanding they explained it and adjusted it. Yesterday her husband woke her up because the mask had slid off and the machine woke him up. I told her she is going to have to work with the provider and not be so easily discouraged.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Her problem in my guestimation is that no chin strap was provided. Did they with you are were you supposed to ask after that discovery?

Quote:

I gave up after about 30 minutes last night..  I definitely need the chin
strap...  I keep opening my mouth and then I sorta "panic" because the
machine does weird things when the mouth it open..    I quit until I get a
chin strap, and even then I have my doubts.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Our masks have good head straps and are very comfortable. I know there are optional chin straps available to help keep the mouth closed, which is very important. Your daughter definately needs to be assertive with her provider and get a mask that fits properly. It means all the difference in the world, as people won't wear the mask all night, or at all, if it is not comfortable.
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I sure appreciate your replies and so does, Michele. She was quite discouraged and is now waiting on a chin strap. :th:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Update from Michele.
Quote:

I did try the mask again last night..  laid in bed until midnight... finally fell asleep but woke up fast as I apparently opened my mouth..  machine goes crazy..    I have to stop trying until I get the chin strap as I just get frustrated.

Anybody have frustration stories?

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn:

If our masks are not on correctly, air leaks out and there is lots of noise. If this happens in the night to Fayrda or me, we help eachother get the mask on correctly. That is frustring, and over the years we have learned to make sure our masks are on tightly before going to sleep.

Another piece of advice I just though of...Michelle should make sure she is really tired and ready to fall asleep before putting on the mask and machine. If not, it can cause frustration as she breathes against the pressure. We have learned the right time to put the mask on before falling asleep. Just have to make sure to do it, and not fall asleep without the mask and machine on.

It sounds like Michelle should wait for the chin strap. Hopefully she will get that soon, and the help she needs to get the mask and machine working for her.
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks, Dave. I just sent that to her. I can't encourage her from experience, but you sure have. :th:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Always happy to help a good friend. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Dave, she is leaving today for vacation so the experience will be delayed, but she said to say this to you.

Quote:

Thanks for the great tips..    I can totally understand the part of waiting until you are about to "nod off" to put the mask on..  that does make a lot of sense.
I am still waiting on the strap...  hopefully it will arrive soon!! 
M

Deleted User
Deleted User

I just lost a fairly LONG reply...Oh well...probably was WAY TOO WORDY anyway!
YES...I would suggest waiting until you are ready to turn the lights out!
I have between 2000 and 3000 hours clocked on my machine. I didn't know there is a chin strap available. But I have experienced the DRY MOUTH that results from having your mouth open. IT IS NOT pleasant to wake up to that!!! But...it is temporary!

I would say that it will take a considerable amount of time using the c-pap machine consistantly before you might "feel" a difference....maybe not so long if your apnia is more severe.

Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thank you so much for replying, Connie. I will forward your answer. Michele still struggles and I appreciate the support that I just can't give by experience, through the grace instead of my friends. :bless:

Deleted User
Deleted User

:wave: Hello, CowMom!! It's very good to see you. I hope you can drop in and visit again soon, and maybe stay awhile. :) :bless:
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Just an update. Michele will be getting the dental appliance. She said the dentist told her he has never seen a tonque as thick as heres and the appliance should help whereas the mask didn't. We'll see in a few weeks.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks for the update, Candy. I pray the dental appliance will work for Michelle.

A co-worker recently had drastic surgery for sleep apnea - he had the extra skin in his throat removed as well as his uvula. I told him I didn't think they could remove the 'hangy ball', but they did and it has proved successful for him. Lots of different treatments now. The CPAPs are still working for all of us.
Quote Post Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Candy, thanks for the update. I hope it works for her. :hug:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Dave and Barbara, forwarded your replies and a BIG thank you from Michele.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ask A Question · Next Topic »
Add Reply