Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
goal
Topic Started: Sep 13 2007, 11:17 AM (742 Views)
carolr3639
Member Avatar
Heaven Bound
How does everyone decide on a goal weight? Somewhere I read that it is 100 lb for 5 ft. and 5 lb for every inch of height after that for women. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Carol, that is so good of you to ask that. And I highly doubt if any member here were to subscribe to that table. At 40 I was 130 at 5'6 which makes that chart A O.K.

At 50 I was at 138 which gives the chart lee-way which we have to figure in.

My dream a couple of months short of 60 is 150 which I am factoring in that I no longer care what charts say---they do not account for the elder years and I can no longer fit into the what is hot, what is not category. I do know that above that weight I feel fat. I think it is all about that "feeling" rather than a standard measure.

My MIL at 91 1/2 has gone from 116 to 138 in the past 4 years. We still buy a medium for her. Her clothes still fit her and she looks wonderful, so toss the charts aside and determine your weight on what is reality for you.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I totaly agree with Candy. The charts say I should weigh 167 being a man who is 6'0" tall. I say this HAHAHAHA :ha: to that. My WW goal when I was in my late 20's was 198. I did acheive that, but Fayrda said I didn't look quite right. I looked and felt best about 220, so that is where I am heading.

Go with the realistic weight you feel the best at. Every person is different. Those charts are just guidelines, but I feel they are still unrealistic.
Quote Post Goto Top

carolr3639
Member Avatar
Heaven Bound
My mom went from 140 to 118 in her 90's. She did loose quite a bit of height (about 2 in). She always ate really well and could out eat me any day. She loved sweets but ate a well rounded diet. She worried about her weight most of her life but was never really overweight that I could see. Looking forward to the challenge.

Roseheart
Member Avatar
Trustee
If you don't mind me saying Carol, that is an excellent question! I don't know how to answer you with a professional answer or anything. I just know what I weighed when I felt my best and that's the goal I'm working towards. Imagine my relief when I saw a gentleman on Biggest Loser who was 62 lose the most weight. He kept saying Age is just a number while he was on the treadmill. I really believe that now! I know of three people now in their 60's who have proven to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's (age) is also just a number when you're losing weight.

Its about keeping active. Wouldn't you agree? Sorry I couldn't answer your question any better than that.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Weight Watchers and the charts indicate to me that I need to be at the maximum, 159 pounds -- but my doctor seems to be satisfied with me weighing 165 pounds. However, my concern is the BMI factor and the arthritis in my knee which functions best at my least weight of 159 pounds.

Wendy Adelissa
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
For me, I have never been in the "normal" category my whole adolecent-adult life so my main goal is to get below a BMI of 25 because 25 is supposed to be the start of being overweight. There have been some studies that keeping it under 23 is really good for your health so that is how I came up with a goal of 141. Once I get to 155 or so it is really just going to be about how happy I am at a certain weight. I imagine at some point it is really going to be more about toning and strengthening than the actual number on the scale.

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Wendy, if you feel good about yourself at a weight you can live with, go for it. I agree, it is more about strengthening and tonining than weight. You have a great attitude. :hug:

FattyFFO
Member Avatar
God's Grace Witness
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
For me, i just set one thats under 200lbs...i picked 170...im really tall..5'10 and large boned (for real not an excuse lol) and have very large people on my dads side of the family so i figure anything closer to 200 has GOT to be better than where i am now...

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Sorry this has taken time for me to write and appropriate answer.

Be Realistic About Your Ideal Weight Goal!

This is what a standard chart suggests: The ideal weight for a woman who is exactly 5 feet tall is 100 pounds. For every additional inch above 5 feet, add five pounds. If you are shorter than 5 feet tall, subtract five pounds for every inch you measure below 5 feet. The ideal weight for a man who is exactly 5 feet tall is 106 pounds. For every additional inch above 5 feet, add 6 pounds. What the chart does not consider is 1) your body frame size (small, medium, large), 2) your age, 3) your activities, and 4) medical recommendations. If you were a body builder or into extreme sports, it is obvious this is not an accurate chart. As you lose body fat and replace it with muscle mass, you will note the ability to carry more weight on your frame. If you have determined through the wrist measurement test that you are not medium framed, you must make an adjustment. Get out your tape measurer. If your wrist measures less than 6 inches, subtract 10 percent from your ideal weight. If your wrist measures more than 6 inches, add 10 percent to your ideal weight. As we age we no longer can retain a "low-normal" range as in our high school or college days and may consider a "high-normal" range. And most important factor of all is to ask your doctor's opinion if you have a medical condition which may factor in. Set a realistic "Ideal Weight" goal for your body, and when you do achieve it, you can then determine whether you want to fine tune it further.

Have a blessed day!

http://www.gracetoday.com
http://www.dietingfordummies.org

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ask A Question · Next Topic »
Add Reply