Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How do You Modify Your Wardrobe as you Lose Weight; Your Wardrobe
Topic Started: Feb 22 2007, 01:33 PM (425 Views)
Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Today, I am wearing a suit that I really like. However, it is becoming baggy because of lost body inches. I have more clothing like that. I am on a tight financial budget, and cannot afford a whole new wardrobe. Any suggestions? (As you know my weight loss is very gradual so I will not immediately need a lot of new clothing.)

:fel:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Great question. I hope our members our creative helps. The only thing I did was to be fortunate enough for my daughter and my friend to give me clothes. Also, everything I buy is from a thrift store, so replacement and variety is not a problem. Accomodating my weight is going to be the same this time, except that a local Helping Hands shop has opened and they have a bag of clothes you pick out for only $6.00. I can get about 10 in a bag!

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:rolleyes: Thank you. I am in the process of locating some local thrift stores.
Also, in the past I have also been fortunate enough to receive used clothing from my sister and a friend.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I think the thrift store is the best way to go. We have shopped at The Salvation Army, Goodwill and Amvets stores before. WalMart also has some very reasonably-priced items. Save your pennies for a new wardrobe to treat yourself when you get to goal weight. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
That wasn't too helpful because I know you probably like your work outfits. What I made sure I did was to donate and give away what was no longer wearable, so God good bless my receives.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:rolleyes: Thank you. This is very helpful! My sister and I went on a retreat at Sandy Cove last summer, and went shopping at a great Wal-Mart in the area. I found some winter wear there that I am wearing this winter as part of my office wear. Dave, I will save my pennies so that I may purchase clothing when I get to goal weight! I will in turn give away my favorite suit that I am wearing now!

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Dave, we were posting at the same time, and when I put that wasn't too helpful, I was refering to my post about thrift clothes. :laugh: Your post got there first and it looks like was was replying to your nifty tip.
Yeah, keep the channels flowing, Ironia!

monkey143
Member Avatar
Deacon
CE, I'm coming shopping with you! :) Unfortunately, Ironia, I have only gone up in size. I don't know what to do about coming down. :lol: But I am like CE - all is thrift shop stuff. C'mon and we'll shop! :)

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Do you sew? If so, you may be able to alter them to fit. Maybe you would want to take some of your nicer things to a professional and see how much they would charge to alter them. I know our local fabric shop has someone who does alterations. I have no idea how much it costs, though. Just an idea.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Thank you for Your responses! Yes, Betsy -- let's hit some thrift stores! I'm still remembering a red coat that I passed up while shopping at one. It was only $10. The coat was so pretty!

Ann, I don't sew -- and I think that alterating my clothes would be too expensive.

When I was attending Weight Watchers, the instructor stated to get rid of all of the clothing that were too large for you so that you would not be tempted to regain the weight.

But right now :hm: I don't have a big weight loss problem! Just some thoughts about the future. :rolleyes:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
O.K., gals. Let's meet over by my place and go to Helping Hands together. There is a Subway across the street and we'll do a healthy lunch. We'll see who can stuff the most items into a $6.00 bag. I am not accusing anyone of being Thee Queen Of Frugal, but I do have an idea, Betsy, who can jam in the most useful items. :lol:

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Sounds like a good plan!!!

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
It does sound a good plan. I agree with everyone about thrift stores. Wal-mart does have some really good sales at times. Lets all go. Sounds like fun.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Let's all go to a WalMart near Barbara in Florida. That would be even more fun! :)

They will be building a Super Walmart about 3 blocks from our home beginning later this year. Some area residents don't think its a good idea, and are starting to complain and try to stop the project. We love the idea, and are looking forward to the store being so close to us. Russell and Fayrda want to work there. The site once had another discount store called "Hills", then another one called "Ames", and now has been vacant for a few years. The project can't be stopped as all permits have been approved and granted and construction is scheduled to begin. It will be a good thing for our area.
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Yes, again Dave and I are looking to visit, Barbara. :lol: Count me in.

We had a Super Walmart built in the neighboring town. We go once a month for items we can't get elsewhere. We went today. I don't like the crowds and lines. How is that for a very spoiled, home town proud girl?

monkey143
Member Avatar
Deacon
I also don't like the crowds or lines at WalMart but I braved them today to get some free brown rice. :) OK - I like Dave's idea about visiting Barb in FL - we can meet at CE's, shop, then fly down.

Sorry, Ironia. We've hijacked your thread. :)

Wendy Adelissa
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ironia, first I would like to congratulate you on even having this problem, I am on the large side of the size I wear so it will be a while until I have this problem and my job is casual so I don't need to worry about buying nice stuff, but when I was working at a businessy place I found that one or two items really made a wardrobe. I had one nice pinstripe pant suit and a skirt suit, , a couple other skirts, and about half a dozen blouses. I probably got out the door for about $350 but the nice thing is I wore those clothes for like 2-3 years lol. No one ever really noticed that I wore those two suits a lot lol. My problem lately has been I don't have a lot of casual clothes since I go around the house in mumus and things like that, and only have 2 pairs of jeans, so I might be checking out thrift stores soon as well.
Good luck!
Wendy
P.S. the other nice thing is I am a packrat and never throw anything away hardly so I have a few things in my closet a size down already...some lady is going to really benefit when I clean out my closet lol.

monkey143
Member Avatar
Deacon
Hi, Wendy! I see from your siggy that you're down 15 pounds - way to go! :) Did you ever dig into those VCDs that I sent you? We have a video exchange in the Gym thread but it seems to be rather inactive right now. check back from time to time to see if anyone is still participating. :)

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Thanks Wendy for your comments. Your plan is the plan that I use, i.e. mix and match. So practical! Periodically, I built on what I already have.

According to Betsy's comments, you have lost 15 pounds. Way to go! Congratulations!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ask A Question · Next Topic »
Add Reply