Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.




Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sugar Free Gum Sickens Dogs
Topic Started: Feb 10 2007, 09:00 AM (113 Views)
ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Sugar Free Gum Sickens Dogs

Donít feed Fido raisins also...

By Al Tompkins






Al's Morning Meeting reader Dr. Debra Primovic, DVM, managing editor of Petplace.com, sent me an interesting story I have not seen anywhere else. She writes:

Xylitol Toxicity is very new. Xylitol is an ingredient in sugar free gum. Some dogs get into their owners purses or [the owners] have gum out on counters where dogs have access and eat it. It is very treatable but most people (including vets) don't know about gum being potentially toxic.

The article says that while Xylitol is not harmful to humans, dogs react very differently.

In humans, xylitol has little to no effect on plasma insulin or glucose levels, but in dogs Xylitol is a strong promoter of insulin release thus is more likely to cause symptoms.

...Dogs that eat significant amounts can develop a sudden drop in blood sugar, which can cause weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination, collapse and seizures.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donít Feed Fido Raisins Either
Dr. Primovic also sent me a story idea about how you should never allow a dog to eat raisins or grapes. The ASPCA is beginning to investigate reports of dogs being sickened when they eat raisins and grapes. Now be aware, it appears to take a fairly significant amount of raisins to make the dogs sick, between 9 ounces and two pounds.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · All God's Creatures · Next Topic »
Add Reply