Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD; What is the Moral of this story?
Topic Started: Feb 2 2007, 11:49 AM (534 Views)
Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:huh: does anyone know what is the moral of this story? Thank you.

P.S. The reason why I am asking is because I want to include this story in my 10th Toastmasters' speech.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Yes, the moral is about positive thinking. The only bed time story that I do remember is my Mom always reading this to me. :th:, Mom!

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Thanks. But what about when the Blue Engine came down the hill, and it stated I thought I could, I thought I could?

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I think it was one and the same. I don't remember the color blue, but here is something interesting for you. :story:

Storybook trains that have helped kids stay on track
Tuesday, June 21, 2005

By Karen MacPherson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two trains that are legends in the world of children's books celebrate their birthdays this year.

"The Little Engine That Could," which popularized the now-iconic phrase "I think I can," turns 75. And it's the 60th birthday of the series starring "Thomas the Tank Engine," known to millions of preschoolers as a "useful little engine."

Here's a closer look at how these train tales came to be:

Although "The Little Engine That Could" has near-universal recognition today, few people can name the book's author. And that's fine, because the "author" -- Watty Piper -- never existed.

Watty Piper is a pseudonym for a group of people at a publisher called Platt & Munk. In 1930, Platt & Munk listed Piper as the "editor" of "The Little Engine That Could." In fact, the story of the plucky little engine was first published in 1906 as "Thinking One Can."

But it was the 1930 version published by Platt & Munk that struck a chord with the American public. Featuring illustrations by Lois Lenski, the book tells the story of a small but courageous blue switch engine who agrees to pull a trainload of toys and food over a mountain to a group of waiting children after a larger engine breaks down.

The little engine takes up the challenge after two other larger engines have refused to help. At first, the little engine is reluctant, thinking that the task is beyond her. But, buoyed by a cheerful toy clown, the little engine agrees to give it a try and bolsters her confidence by repeating, "I think I can. I think I can."

Quote:

Of course, she succeeds, and the story ends with the smiling little engine saying: "I thought I could. I thought I could. ..."

While it has been wildly popular over the years, "The Little Engine That Could" isn't great literature. Unlike the best children's books, which focus on telling a good story, it is constructed around a message to young readers.

Yet that message was embraced by families in the Great Depression, and the book went on to sell millions of copies.

In the 1970s, there was a brief storm by some feminists over the fact that the little engine was female and the larger engines were male. Yet School Library Journal, in the same year, labeled "The Little Engine That Could" as "pioneer feminist lore."

This year, to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the 1930 edition, Universal Studios has planned a 12-stop "Little Engine That Could" rail tour this summer. Families can ride a facsimile of the famous train.

In addition, Universal will be marketing various types of "Little Engine" merchandise, including puzzles and games. "The theme of all of this is perseverance," said Beth Goss, a Universal spokeswoman.

In 1943, a British clergyman named Wilbert Vere Awdry spent days telling stories to his 3-year-old son, Christopher, who was sick with the measles. The stars of the stories were trains, whom the train-loving Awdry invested with human emotions and names.

There was Edward, who tries hard to be helpful to compensate for his small size; overly confident, boastful Gordon; and Henry, who is so worried about his beautiful paint that he hides in a tunnel and refuses to budge.

At the urging of his wife, Awdry wrote down the stories and sent them to a publisher. Two years later, in 1945, Awdry's first children's book, "The Three Railway Engines," was published.

Meanwhile, Christopher wanted more stories, this time featuring his favorite engine, Thomas. So his father published four stories as "Thomas the Tank Engine" in 1946, introducing the spunky blue engine who learns to boss the insolent freight cars and shows he is "really useful" when he has to fill in for another engine.

The books were a hit with the public, and Awdry went on to write other railway tales, many of them featuring Thomas and set on the fictional island of Sodor. Like "The Little Engine That Could," Awdry's stories are centered around a moral, such as helping others.

In 1984, the books found a new audience when the BBC created a TV show from them. Five years later, PBS began broadcasting them, sparking a U.S. fascination with Thomas and friends. After a hiatus, "Thomas" is now back on PBS as part of a HIT Entertainment effort, which has created a new show.

To celebrate the 60th anniversary, HIT and Random House are sponsoring a 40-city tour, "Day out With Thomas." HIT also is marketing a number of new "Thomas" items, including limited-edition anniversary trains, while Random House is publishing the "Thomas the Tank Engine Complete Story Collection," which includes all 26 original tales.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Karen MacPherson can be reached at kmacpherson@nationalpress.com.)

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Thank you Editor! I appreciate this so much!!!

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
The 'kind, little blue engine' said she "thought [she] could" because she was indeed the same engine who earlier said "I think I can" with regards to making it to the top of the hill. After that, it was an easy ride down.

The other engines were either tired, grumpy or proud and wouldn't even give trying a thought.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
:thanks: One and the same. Look at our age group discussing this. :haha:

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Thank you Gracie!!! :gig: I know the age group! :story: and this story is appropriate for all ages! :real:

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
I have read this book so many times that I may be now able to do so without the words. ;)

Posted Image

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Oh, what a priceless picture, Grace! I just remember it from my childhood--which was a few years back. :)

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Yes, the picture is so precious! Thank you Gracie for sharing!

:ghug:

Debbie
No Avatar
God's Grace Special Angel
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think I can, I think I can recite it from memory too. Our firstborn loved it and asked to be read it often. My personal favorite was The Little Red Hen, that was only a few years ago for me too Editor. :rolleyes:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Sobs uncontrollably as I search my mind and realize Mom never read that to me. Mom always liked you best! :ha:

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Thank you everyone so much for your help. The story was incorporated into my 10th toastmasters' speech today. I praise the Lord -- because the speech went well!

Debbie
No Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Is toastmasters fun? helpful? good for you? I've thought of doing it before but not sure I could make myself.

Debbie
No Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There, there dearest Editor. The Little Red Hen tries to get everyone to help her make bread but no one she asks wants to or has the time. She always answers that she will do it herself and she does, step by step by step. Finally the bread is ready to eat and everyone who didn't want to help with the preparation is ready to help her eat it. She says she will eat it herself. She may have had a :gain: but the book didn't mention this part. :lol:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Ironia, I know you did good!
Debbie, I am now comforted!

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) Hi Debbie: Our Toastmasters Club is unique in that it meets and rotates out of two churches. Our theme is Christian, but the organization is secular. I find our chapter, motivating, challenging and stimulating. You should give it a try -- it would be even better if you visited some chapters.

Debbie
No Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you Ironia, I've given it some thought lately.

By the way, I grew up in Rockville.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
:) I'm familiar with Rockville. My mother's home was near Rockville, MD.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ask A Question · Next Topic »
Add Reply