Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
H2O Challenge 2 Chat; ongoing challenge
Topic Started: Jan 5 2007, 04:37 AM (16,544 Views)
ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
For joining, you may have this in your signature. Posted Image

The purpose of the challenge is to work your way up to the minimal consumption of 8-8 oz. glasses per day. If you are obese you are encouraged to calculate your needs based on the May Clinic formula.

To determine one's ideal daily water intake, experts at the Mayo Clinic suggest dividing body weight in half and using this number as the ounces of water one should consume. Based on this formula, a 125-pound person should consume the recommended eight servings of water each day; however, someone who weighs 175 pounds should strive for eleven servings.

This is the most simplest reason we need water. I will be posting many articles to tell you why it is even more essential and beneficial for dieters.

Humans lose a pint or more of water every day simply by breathing! We normally lose a total of about 10 cups of fluid a day in exhaled air, perspiration, and other bodily secretions. What is lost must be replaced to maintain a fluid balance. If one is physically active, the American Dietetic Association recommends adding one to three cups of water to the daily intake for each hour of physical activity.

Please report your progress daily and join in for the great fellowship and chat.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I guess if I would have looked a litte further I would have seen this.....sleep deprived here!!! Happy that this was restarted...hope others will join. My goal is to make it to 6 servings.

So since I way 219 how much servings should I have? A little tired to figure out right now....

Blessings
Lori

Roseheart
Member Avatar
Trustee
Alright this is one area in my life that desperately needs consistency. I'm happy there's a second chance to sign up. Althought I think this is my third. See, I truly need to work on this area.

I was reading in Dr. Colbert's new book 7 Pillars of Health (I think that's the title, like I said it's new) that he starts his patients with a water regime. One woman was complaining of constant headaches and when she started drinking in her daily water, she no longer had them. I'm there! Anything to avoid a headache, I say!

Anyhow, thanks again very much. Off to put the logo in my siggy and officially declare this as Day One for me.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
It is our third offering. I will just be encouraging others. This is already my strong area.

Lori, Math was always my worse subject. I hope someone will proof my answer of 11 servings.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Here is a simpler conversion plan: eight more ounces per day for every 25 pounds you are overweight.

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Count me in ! I have been trying to do this already, but having to post how I'm doing may help me stay on track.

:wat:
Ann

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Good for you, Ann!

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
:wave: count me in. :) Candy, can you put the water challenge in for me? Thanks :rose:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Sure can. Anyone else that cannot do it theirselves, leave a request, please.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I don't know that I will actually join this challenge, but I will share that I average at least 3 quarts (12 cups) of water per day. I have serious back problems - osteo arthritis in my spine and degenerative disk disease, plus some other nasty stuff. The waster helps hydrate my disks and lessens my back pain a little bit. It is also just plain good for our health. We rarely buy pop anymore, and even when we eat out I've been just having ice water.

Drinking lots of water per day is a good choice. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Thanks for a testimony, Dave of the natural medicinal value of God-created water. Many just fon't see the reasoning. I gave up pop in a Lenten challenge about 5 years ago and switched to water (yes, it was difficult) but will never turn back.

DevotedHeart
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I'm striving to increase my water too. So far I have 40 oz today! Off to a good start!

Toodles!

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Glad to have you, Lenise!

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
Wow Editor, I think that I average a little over 30lbs overweight(I am thinking it is more than that but not good with numbers either)...that means that I would have to drink about 16 8oz...that is a lot of water!

Well I will increase little by little.....I am up to 6 servings right now...

Blessings
Lori

Tiana
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
:idea: :wat:
I'd already begun keeping track along with my food intake

1/1=30 ozs
1/2=10 ozs
1/3=20 ozs
1/4=30 ozs
1/5=40 ozs thus far (8 p.m.)

I want to do better this time around. :yum:

DevotedHeart
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
So farr today I've had 80 oz. I'll probably have another glass tonight before bed so I should make my 96 oz. today. Would have better if I would have stayed away from the pop today.

Toodles!

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
count me in i really need this challenge
i really dont like water although when i am eating right i drink more
i buy bottle water and it comes in mls so i dont know how to convert it to ozs
drink 1.5 litres yesterday
dave and candy great to hear your testimomies gives me hope thanks
i know diet pop is very addictive and causes cravings and actually make you gain weigh i read about that
so keep on drinking my friends we can support each other on this one
love rosie :wat:

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I was so surprosed at the activity and the amounts you all drank yesterday! Good job!

Rosie, here is the conversion chart so all will know what is being consumed: 2 pints is 32 fluid ounces or 1 quart = 0.946 liters
4 quarts is 128 fluid ounces or 1 gallon = 3.785 liters

Roseheart
Member Avatar
Trustee
January 5th - 32 oz and I drank coffee when I could/should have had water. I will watch that today

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
:wave: Had 88 ounces of water yesterday besides my orange juice and V-8. I used to drink alot of soda years ago. Now, it is one once or twice a week. In restaurants, I drink lemonade or iced tea. Down here, the water is terrible in restaurants. I have been known to bring a bottle of water to a restaurant. :rose:

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Hello fellow :wat: !

I had 80 ounces yesterday! You are all doing great.

I couldn't get the graphic in my signature.

:bless:
Ann

DevotedHeart
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I haven't started my water yet today, but I will as soon as I finish my milk. Today my goal is 80 oz.

Toodles!

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
It is so good to see you all conscious of your water intake! I am glad you are aware of the need and are trying.

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
about 64 ozs yesterday, and about 24ozs with juice in it
happy with that
keep drinking

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Had 72 ounces of water yesterday. :)

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
1. Switch to water because...................

Q: A friend of mine drinks 5 liters of coke a day. How much is too much caffeine? (from MIT.edu nutrionalist)

A: A person develops a tolerance to caffeine over time. The average person in America consumes 3 mg of caffeine per kg/body weight daily. An example of this amount would be if a 150 pound person drank 2-3 cups of coffee or 5-6 cans of soda pop per day (see: http://www2.coca-cola.com/ourcompany/columns_caffeine.html).

According to the Coca Cola Company, an 8 oz. serving of Coca Colaģ contains 23 mg of caffeine, an 8 oz. serving of Diet Cokeģ contains 31 mg of caffeine, a typical 8 oz. cup of drip-brewed coffee contains 85 mg, a typical 8 oz cup of instant coffee contains 75 mg, and a typical 8 oz. glass of iced tea contains 25 mg of caffeine.

Caffeine is a drug. It causes mild anxiety, increased gastric secretions, respiratory stimulation, increased heart rate and blood pressure, and increased urination. Long-term intake of more than 600 mg per day could lead to chronic insomnia, stomach upset, depression, paranoia, and chronic anxiety.

If your friend canít sleep well, is anxious or cranky frequently or out of sorts than they are probably getting too much caffeine. Ask them to check themselves for these symptoms.

Another factor that your friend should consider is that coke is full of sugar and has no nutrient density. Your friend is getting lots of calories but no nutrition from the soda. In addition, they may be getting the sugar highs and lows associated with the ingestion of large amounts of this soda. This can make the person moody and will detract from their ability to concentrate while studying.

faith
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
(Slurp, Slurp, Slurp) Count Faithy in this challenge. Oh sweet Editor, could you put it in Faithy's signature too? Does anyone else around here get headaches when they drink water? I know, I am weird! I am hoping that as I get used to drinking it though they will go away.

Hugs, Faithy

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Glad to see you, Deputy, hangin' 'round the watering hole.

faith
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Why thank ye Marshall, partner! The nice thing about christians gathering at the water hole is we are promised the well will never run dry!

Hug's Faithy

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
:noon:

I drank 96 oz. of water yesterday. :wat:

Faith- I've never heard of anyone getting headaches from drinking water. I have heard some people get them because they don't drink enough water.

Ann

DevotedHeart
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I have 80 oz. in today! So far! Woohoo!!

Toodles!

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
64ozs of water and 16ozs with juice
will cut out the juice ones gradually
well done :wat:
love rosie

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
You all are doing extremely well!

Roseheart
Member Avatar
Trustee
Jan 6th - 32 oz
Jan 7th - 48 oz

Oh, with all the coffee I drink, I have exceeded my daily intake of water. Too bad coffee doesn't count. Less coffee more water. Less coffee more water!

You are all doing a fabulous job and inspire me to increase my intake. Keep it up! Your body is lovin you for it!

elkana
Member Avatar
Sold Out To God
I am doing good on the "no pop"...and I have been tempted a few times when I am out and about. But not doing so well on that water intake. I am still working at it...today my goal is to drink 8 servings today and not take in anything other drink.

And Faith, I am one that gets headaches too if I drink too much water in one setting...why I don't know..but I can also add that my stomach starts to hurt also which makes it even harder to continue drinking....but that includes any other drink also... :iam:

Blessings
Lori

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
:wave: 1/7 - had 80 ounces :)

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Hi everyone!

I drank 92 ounces of water yesterday.

Ann

DevotedHeart
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
60 oz so far today! I'll drink more this evening. Going to try for 120 total today!

Toodles!

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
80ozs of water yesterday, but 2 had juice in them
have my bottles filled for today

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I am very impressed!

2) Switch to water because......In the human body, water lubricates joints and organs.

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
1/8 - 80 ounces of water. :rose:

faith
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
8 oz. of water yesterday. :lol: Hey its a start, right?

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
It is a very good start. We are proud of you. One :baby: at a time does it.

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I drank 96 ounces of water yesterday. :wat:

Ann

DevotedHeart
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I made my 120 ounces yesterday, but I haven't had any water today! And I'm dying of thirst! I'm need to find a fountain before we leave the library!

faith
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
:sighs: Got 10 ounces down but triggered my colitis so I don't know if it was the water or the migraine. Please pray as I try to keep continuing increasing the water but at the same time I have to be careful I don't get dehydrated and potassium out of whack again.

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
I have prayed. I need to ask you what you do drink?

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
O.K., I got up at 1:00 am today and had plenty of time to surf. This is what I found out about recommended fluid and diet for colitis:
Quote:

Fluids (non-caffeines). Drinking plenty of water is particularly important.
I also read a diet that recommends foods that are high in fluid content like certain fruits.
I have had diarrhea the past 3 days, and I discovered it came from my increase in caffeine.
Quote:

Caffeine consumption can cause increase gastric excretions.

I couldn't find the article I once posted on drinking sufficient water to rid chronic headaches, but this is the verdict on that one comes from the Mayo Clinic.
Quote:

What many of us donít realize is that dehydration is one of the causes of frequent headaches, even in children.

I think you are looking at the wrong culprit. :wub:

rosie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
96 ozs yesterday, but 3 glasses had diet diluted orange, but it was not much orange and then filled with water
so am pleased with that
love rosie

ed-gracetoday
No Avatar
Elder
Wow! I remember your first :baby: when water was hard to swallow. You are doing great, Rosie.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply