Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Changes Are Coming Chat Thread
Topic Started: Jan 5 2015, 01:27 PM (9,718 Views)
Loriann
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Have you guys in thoughts and prayers today ((((HUG))))
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Loriann
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
weighed in and lost 2lbs

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Just want to weigh-in for the record...

Yesterday, I was 148.4 lbs.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
Twenty-seven years ago today I married Fayrda, the most wonderful and beautiful woman in the world. God has brought us through many trials and has abundantly blessed us. :wub: :bless:

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
That's wonderful, Dave... you two are definitely one!

I weighed in at 147.8 today.

editor
Member Avatar
God's Grace Special Angel
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You are losing again Grace! I weigh 120. A 1 pound loss. Dave, you married the best woman in the world.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hello, everyone.

I saw the bariatric surgeon today, and we did decide to go ahead and prepare me for a gastric sleeve procedure. I have some "hoops" to go through, like blood work, a pych eval, a nutriion consult, a group support session and an exercise class. I see the surgeon again on May 1 and if all this is done we can start thinking about scheduling this surgery.

I've decided to get an opinion from a different orthopedic surgeon about my hips. I see him on 4/9/15. I've arranged to have all my records from the other orthopedic surgeon transferred. I will probably have the weight loss surgery first, then the hips replaced later this year. This new orthopedic surgeon does a less invasive hip replacement that is done from the front of the leg, rather than the side. No muscle or tendons are cut as with traditional hip replacement because they go in between the muscles to take care of the hips. Recovery time is much faster and the results I have seen in other patients testimonials seem promising.

Ironically, I weighed 289.4 this morning which is 34 pounds down from May 2014. We have cut down to about 1400 calories per day and 100-120 carbs and both Fayrda and I are losing. The weight loss surgery will ensure that I get to my goal faster so my other health problems, like my hips, can be taken care of.

I pray you are all doing OK.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE!!

Posted Image

He is risen indeed!!
Edited by DavEdsel2, Apr 5 2015, 03:20 AM.

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Have a blessed Easter and remember His sacrifice! Weighing in early at 119.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
:noon:

Great loss, Dear Editor Candy!

I weighed in yesterday at 285. This is the lowest I have been for years. A 39 pound loss from May 2014. I also just had lab work done in preparation for upcoming surgeries, and all my numbers - Diabetes, cholesterol, etc. - are in or close to the "normal" ranges. I thank God that he is giving me the determination and help to get healthy once and for all.

Happy Dyngus Day!!

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Congrats to both of you... Editor for your weight loss this past week and year, and Dave your successful loss this past year, too... way to go, and lead the team, you all!
Edited by gracie, Apr 7 2015, 11:50 PM.

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Grace!

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]

I saw the new ortho this morning. He would prefer that I have the bariatric surgery first, or continue to try and lose at least 30 more pounds on my own before doing the hip replacement surgery. Another doctor in his practice will be doing steroid injections into each hip on 4/22 to give me some pain relief.

After I have lost more weight, either naturally or through surgery, he wants me to come back and he will schedule to surgeries.

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Saw Dingus Day cooks on the news. Simply forgot to wish you one Dave. Old age? Weighing in early with a 117. A loss

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
I have never heard of Dyngus Day! LOL, but I looked it up so I could be in-the-know. :-p

Well, it's been a beautiful day down here... and I'm out to take a walk before it's dark... hopefully I'll see a small weight loss tomorrow. But even if I don't, I shall carry on doing what I know is healthful for me.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Well, I didn't see a weight loss... that's okay... I'm moving this body, and feeding it smart. :obey:

Happy Monday, Everyone! :wave:

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Happy Monday and it is already Wednesday. I lost the most this week. Ha!

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
Excellent loss, Dear Editor Candy! Based on your current weight you must be very thin.

My body has been doing weird things. I weighed on April 5 with a 6 pound loss for that week. This past Sunday I gained 6 pounds. My wonderful MIL said I am probably retaining water, so I started taking my prescription water pill again. Since Sunday I've already lost 10 pounds. Total loss since May 2014 is now 43 pounds. I weigh less then I did when Russell was born 25 years ago.

After much prayer and discussion with my wonderful wife, I've decided to not have weight loss surgery. It is obvious I can lose the weight naturally by simply keeping my calories and carbs low. I'm averaging about 1400 calories per day and 100 carbs. I am not very active because of the hip pain, so that is enough calories and I am losing. I had many appointments already scheduled to prepare for the weight loss surgery, but cancelled them all. The girl in the office said that what I was doing was better than having surgery and is best. They will always be there and I can start the process again if needed, but I am really working at losing the weight without surgery.

I will be having steroid injections in both hips next Wed. 4/22. If I continue losing weight, I will make an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon in late June or July to discuss and probably schedule the hip replacement surgery.

I pray everyone is doing OK. :)

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Dave, I support you either way but really... I am so happy you made this decision. And congrats at reaching this important milestone -- woohoo!!

Editor, wow, you sure are working the program... I feel spurred on by your success!

How's everyone else this week?

I'm halfway through my workweek... still a large stressor but a few things have gotten better there... a little birdie told me that an interview I had a few months ago still has them thinking about me. To be sure, I was offered the job but couldn't accept it because the pay was too low. It would sure be nice to not come home so utterly worn out but we will see what the Lord has in mind. For now, it is by grace (and to my amazement) that I get up every day to head there again.

Take care, all! Let's hear from ya!

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]

I saw my primary doctor this morning. On their scale, I weighed in at 279. Height is 5'11.5". My BMI is 38.4. In order to qualify for weight loss surgery, you need a BMI of 40 or more, or a BMI of 35 or more if you have associated health problems (they call them "co-morbidities"). Since I have Diabetes, even though it is in full control, I would qualify. However, my primary doctor agreed I am doing great on my own and as long as I continue I should get to my goal weight of 220 or less by the end of this year without bariatric surgery. My doctor also agreed with my choice of new orthopedic surgeons and in a few months I plan to get another appointment with the surgeon to discuss and probably schedule the surgeries. Both hips badly need replacing.

I am just so thankful I finally woke up and realized how to consistently follow a healthy lifestyle. My wonderful wife is so supportive, and would support weight loss surgery, but doing it this way is so much better. She has lost 25 pounds since last June. All my pants are very baggy and I am starting to be able to wear shirts again that I have not been able to for decades. Our dear friend Sande is afraid I'm going to start having "wardrobe malfunctions" when we meet for breakfast on Saturday mornings. :ha:

God is so god and I :praise: Him! :hal: :only:

I pray you all have a wonderful and fantastic Friday, friends. :) :feed:
Edited by DavEdsel2, Apr 17 2015, 12:20 PM.

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dave, you can be quite funny! And serious. Still praying for our member's pain levels and situations!

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Maybe this Changes Are Coming Chat Thread is a good place to announce that changes are coming to my family. With my children now all grown, it has become time for the next...

...generation to begin. Yes.

Posted Image

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
:cong: Gracie!! :)

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Grace and peace unto you Dave! Weighing in at 116.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Thanks, Dave! I'm pretty excited about it.

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I weigh 117.2. A gain!

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]

That is still an excellent number, Dear Editor.

I decided to make an appointment with my new ortho yesterday, and they had an opening for this morning at 11:10. I didn't expect to get in so soon, but went and I will be having my right hip replaced in June, then the left hip replaced about 3 months after that.

I am looking forward to this pain finally being relieved.

I wore a pair of jeans today that I have not fit into for about 25 years. Russell has never seen my at this weight (279) as I weighed about 300 when he was born. Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.

:only: :dont: :fat: :hal:

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope you lose enough to have your surgery!

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh, the surgeries are definitely happening. The ortho was proud of what I've done and is fully prepared to give me new hips. Don't want surgery, but don't want the hip pain even more.

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What are you taking for Pain?

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can only take enteric coated aspirin and a muscle relaxer for pain. I am allergic to most narcotic drugs. Use my recliner and sleep number bed too. After the surgery the will probably have me on morphine for a while. I've never had a reaction to that.
Edited by DavEdsel2, May 1 2015, 12:06 PM.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Have you ever tried turmeric, Dave? Just thought I'd ask since so many get relief with it.

I noticed my image disappeared in an earlier post... are we not allowed to post images from outside the site?

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gracie, I've read about turneric and understand its benefits. I am on a blood-thinning medication because I've had many blood clots, and herbal supplements sometimes interfere with this medication (warfarin). I try to pass any supplements by my doctor first, and then very carefully try them. I am taking cinnamon capsules and they have helped my Diabetes quite a bit, plus a calcium plus vitamin D3 supplement, plus a Glucosamine complex.
Edited by DavEdsel2, May 2 2015, 02:24 PM.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Ahh, I see... I know some can't take fish oil for the same reason. Sounds like you have a good regimen going, Dave! I've been taking cinnamon more and more, too. Do you think the glucosamine is helping? Just curious, these things interest me. :-)

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dave, a rough road ahead. Grace, I want you to have health too. Weighing in early with a 116. A loss that I was at.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Down 0.6 lbs... off work today and preparing for baby shower, friend visit and vacation time.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]

Gracie, I do find the Glucosamine complex helps a bit. I always get the one that has MSM, magnesium, manganese and other minerals. I do find that after a few moths it stops working, so I stop taking it for a few weeks, then switch to a different brand.

The cinnamon capsules have multiple benefits. I take the maximum dose - 6 mg or 6 grams. That is 12 500mg capsules, but I don't swallow them all at once. I coughed once right after taking my usual dose, and a cloud of cinnamon powder came out of my mouth. My wife laughed hysterically.

I am allergic to mini gel caps, so I don't take fish oil as I've only been able to find them in that form.

This week I weighed in at 277.4, a new low weight for me. Only 57.4 pounds to get to my goal. Considering that in May 2014 I weighed 324 and in 2002 I was almost 370 pounds (The doctor's scale only went to 350, so they guessed based on my size). I am very thankful to be on God's path to my health. It has been a slow journey, but the Lord has blessed my efforts.

Dear Editor Candy, you have done so well. You must actually be skinny!

Have a blessed and marvelous rest of Monday, friends. :)

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
:morn: , almost :noon: on the east coast.

My wonderful wife and eldest son went to WalMart early this morning. They brought me home a surprise - many packages of boxer underwear and t-shirts in one size down. All my underwear was much too big on me and literally falling down. I now fit easily into a regular 'XL'. where I was in 'XXL', even '3X' in some things. I am thankful for how God is continuing to lead me down His path to my health.

Have a blessed and thankful Thursday, friends. :)
Edited by DavEdsel2, May 7 2015, 11:54 AM.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
How awesome! and how wonderful we can share this joy with you... and Candy as well! I am making some progress, albeit small, it is steady.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Today was my first day of vacation... no formal exercise but I have spent the day emptying boxes that were removed from the garage, and generally trying to spiffy up the place as my best friend from back east will be arriving in a couple hours.

Tomorrow is the baby shower for daughter. We still have yet to plan out the week.

Please pray for my work situation... I am expecting to receive a second offer from place that offered me a position a few months ago. In any event, if I leave present job, I desire to do so under good grounds... no burning bridges, ya know. ;-)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
:morn:

To those Grace Today Dieters :home: that are mothers:

Posted Image
Edited by DavEdsel2, May 10 2015, 08:33 AM.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
Missing my own mother especially today as she has been gone since September 2000. I know she is in her mansion in heaven that is surrounded by gardens of all types of white flowers that she loved, looking down on her family with love and pride.

Posted Image

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
She still appreciates you, Dave. Happy Mother's Day everyone! Weighing in at the same 116.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
:morn:

My total right hip replacement surgery has been scheduled for Monday, June 15. Unfortunately, this is also my wonderful wife Fayrda 's birthday so we will celebrate that the day before. I told her I am giving her a present because she won't have to hear me moan and complain anymore. LOL.

That surgery date is really good also because Russell graduates from ITT Tech with an AAS in Computer Network Administration on Thursday, June 11. He has started interviewing for positions and will hopefully land a good job with decent pay and benefits soon.

I will be in the actual hospital for a few days, then go to the adjoining rehab center for a few more days. I should be back home by Monday, June 22.

I ask for prayers that this surgery will be a success and I will recover quickly. I am very much looking forward to having less pain and more mobility. The left hip will be done in about 3 months if all goes well.

Have a blessed and marvelous Monday, friends. :)

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What a present, eh? I am surprised at goes quickly once the ball get rolling.

Father God, in Jesus Name, be with Dave, family and all that will be involved. Treat him with favor! Amen

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Amen.

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]

We have been working all week at re-building Fayrda's mom's pond. It was a plastic shell but had cracked over the winter. We (mostly my wonderful wife, of course and unfortunately) had to remove hundreds of rocks, finish emptying the pond shell with a shop vac, put the plants in a galvanized tub, and pull out and discard the shell. We replaced the shell with rubber pond liner, and our eldest son Russell went over yesterday and today to help put it all back together. He was a big help with replacing and arranging the rocks. Fayrda loves to get right in the pond, so he handed her rocks and she arranged, but he also did some arranging on his own.

Mom loves the new pond. She is now 90 years old and in failing health but we hope it will inspire her to sit outside, even with her oxygen hose connected to her machine. It is murky now, but will clear in a few days so mom can see the 3 tad poles and 6 small koi fish we got her. We are in lots of pain but the effort was so worth it to make Mom happy.

Posted Image

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
And this is how our pond looks today...

Posted Image

editor
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How in the world could she work that hard? Weighing in a 114.8 a loss!

DavEdsel2
Member Avatar
God's Grace Helper
[ *  *  *  * ]
Great loss, Dear Editor Candy!

Fayrda can't work that hard. That's why it took a week and we had to get Russell to help finish. In our younger days things like this would take hours, not days or weeks. We can only work for short while, then must stop and rest for hours. Fayrda can go longer than I can, but still not like she used to. It got done, and Mom is thrilled because today she can see her fish.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply