Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Better Ourselves Challenge; 7 week challenge
Topic Started: Sep 23 2013, 09:42 PM (751 Views)
gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Well, our numbers of Gracetoday friends have certainly dwindled. Unfortunate, also, are the numbers on my scale going up!

Enough is enough! I need a challenge!

Any and all are welcome to participate in this 7 weeks to better ourselves -- PLEASE do join me and make this a group effort. It is in sharpening each other that we become strong together. Naturally we hope to lose weight (and we will!) but our focus shall be on things that will improve our total health as we work towards the loss of excess pounds.

Each week will have a new focus to work on and to encourage each other. Are you in?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
in

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
So glad to hear it, Cindy! :)

I'll be posting a few more details soon.

angelic
No Avatar
Trustee
I'm having trouble staying on site.....somehow keep getting sent back to main page.....that part is frustrating, but I'm determined to be a part of anything that will help you - and me- to better ourselves.

Got some extra exercise yesterday - manyly in walking and shopping, but walking.

"My verse for today...Pleasant words are like a honeycomb. They make a person happy and healthy." (Proverbs 16:24)

Lord, If I /we have to eat any of my/our words today -- may they taste as sweet as the honeycomb. Amen

May you all have a good day!

angelic
No Avatar
Trustee
Are the details for this challenge coming together, Gracie"

I have a question -- What, do you think, is the most important thing I can do to become a better person?

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Get away from the bad ones!

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Let us start this coming Monday... I have one more work day then I will post the details. :)

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope you needn't an advance degree in Physics to understand it. ed

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
LOL, nah, don't worry... I don't even have a high school degree, oops. :sh:

:welb:

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, let me confess up---I DO NOT FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS WELL, my goodness did I really reveal that?

ed

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
We will all find these instructions simple to understand -- following through with them will be our challenge so let's do it together. :fel:

We are going to take one step at a time :baby: will get us there.

Week 1 Challenge: A Good Night's Rest

Our aim: 7-8 hours of sleep a night

Why: There are many studies out now that show cortisol levels (a stress hormone) are elevated in those of us who don't get a full night's sleep. This is the hormone that is associated with the fight-or-flight syndrome.

If we don't get enough sleep, our bodies will think it's time to fight. In preparing for a fight, we will hold on to the fat -- especially in our guts. :ek:

Additionally, we will crave more foods as our gut will tell our brain... there's a fight coming, better prepare, eat more. Let's set ourselves free and fight this battle before it has a chance to start. We are making a healthy choice when we go to bed on time and get some quality rest.

no more :sleep: be :set: by making :hc:

Don't forget to set the stage for a successful rest. Turn off the TV and computer at least an hour before bedtime. Have a routine... try not to let the time vary more than a n hour each night. We may each have a different routine... mine looks a bit like this:

• Prepare lunch & snacks for next day.
  • Lay out/iron clothes.
  • Have a cup of tea or water, and take evening supplements.
  • Ensure my keys and purse are where I can grab them in the morning.
  • Wash up and change into pj's.
  • Set my alarm, check timer light.
  • Study a scriptural passage.
  • Read a few pages of my current read.
  • Turn off the light.

Personalize it for yourself to fit your own habits. It's been shown that routine helps set the mood for sleep.

Another benefit of sleep is improved mood and brain function which = less stress during the day. Less stress, less cortisol, less wrong choices and better fuel efficiency. :bam:

:night:
Edited by gracie, Nov 4 2013, 12:07 AM.

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good Morning! I am almost tempted to say I am out of this study and test. As I have said here and any other place the some of my foot has trod I BOLD I ADD) require, require (!!)! two and one 1/2 to 4 1/2 per evening. I almost disqualify from start to finish because I disagree on the studies findings. I will say two nights in a row now I have slept about 4 hours straight through plus day time nap! Anything more I know I have been drugged. Anything less is best but my family locks me away. I being of sound mind, good bod at this weight and fair face say, :hug:

And yes in deedy, I'd much rather fight that switch! I get about 2-3 correct! May I stay in the study if I make a graphic for participant and winners with God here?

Heh-heh!

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I average 8 hours a night. While I was caring for Martin that varied but I am getting back to my routine. My routine is similar to yours Gracie, I pack my lunch, set up the programmable coffee pot, lay out my clothes, wash up, relax in bed . I do use my lap top but it doesn't seem to have effected my sleep. I went to bed early last night due to time change and being sleepy. I slept 8 hours as I woke up early too. (I am at 201.5 now, getting close to breaking 200.)

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
You are doing wonderful to get the 8 hours, Cindy. Your weigh-loss effort are working -- yay!

Well, Candy, you can work towards going to sleep at the same time and ensuring you get that nap everyday. So you actually feel okay with that little amount of sleep? I got away with it for awhile and then my brain just couldn't operate as well.

The last two nights I got just over 7 hours. I met the minimum but am pretty certain that I'm really the type of person who needs the 8 hrs a night. I am doing better at getting to bed on time. And I have just a little time left so better skedaddle.

Take care, all!

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]

Didn't get my minimum last night... was up a little late then daughter came up and was up longer with her... woke up after barely 6 hrs but stayed in bed for 1 more. Time to get ready for work... have a long day including a dinner training tonight... better get a move-on as I'm hoping to squeeze in a short Pilates session.

Have a great day, everyone!

angelic
No Avatar
Trustee
Just got caught up on WEEK 1........

My schedule is very varied.....and while I try for the 7 - 8 hrs. sleep, it is often in 4 - 5 sleep and than awake for an hour or two, then occasionally fall back to sleep for about another 2 - 3 hours. I will try to juggle it around....give it an honest try....and see what happens. I seem to be functioning with this sleep pattern, but I will try to see if I can get a little more and see what will happen.

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I dont see Lenise in this challenge and I did see on FB Cindy is having painful happenings with dentist. If I slept more I wouldn't know my people's needs and how to pray. I am addressing my Christmas cards now and have made it to R's. I had taken a picture of my nephew (deceased) in the church he was raised and buried in. I sent it to my SIL knowing she hadn't seen it and it would mean the world to her. It did. I received thank you card from her. Beautiful day. I want to get outdoors and SIT! LEG is swollen and hoping to get some SONSHINE before the temps dips twenty degrees tomorrow.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Getting 8 hrs of sleep continues to be a challenge! Last night I didn't quite get 7; the night before barely made 6.

I should've assigned points for this challenge... learning as I go.

Back to the sleep, I have noticed this:

If I had not been aiming for the 7-8, there may have been nights that I didn't even get 6 or 7. Also, I feel like my sleep has been better, more restful, that is, and that makes a difference. My sleep is still a work in progress.

Edited by gracie, Nov 8 2013, 02:10 PM.

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I have managed between 7 and 8 hours every night so far.

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
:im: Cindy may very well be declared the winner for this week's challenge but there are still a few more days left for me to add more effort. :saw:
Edited by gracie, Nov 8 2013, 02:09 PM.

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sleeping the same and enjoying it! I did crash and get a 2 12 hour nap today.

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I only slept 7 and a half hours last night. Took Foo to be groomed and she lost a tooth. She bit the groomer and knocked out a tooth. The groomer was wearing no bit gloves. Lucky groomer. Not so lucky Foo-Foo. I hope she learned a lesson about biting but I doubt it. I planned to work in the yard today but I am tired. I went shopping and got groceries while Foo was at the groomer, lugged groceries in and put them away and I am too tired to plant flowers.

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
OK I am discovering that I'm not just tired. I am sick. I am cold, aching and have a gastrointestinal thing getting going. 2 of my co workers were out with it this week so I guess it is my turn. Bummer. I had planned to plant the flowers I dug last weekend and tidy up the yard before bad weather set in. Oh by the way I am at 201 this morning. I am anxiously approaching a milestone.

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I just read and commented about Foo on FB. When you hit 200 we will have a Deck Party. Been very busy here. (my home)

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Last night, I got at least 7 hrs of sleep... the night before, I think I hit 8 hrs -- woohoo! Now I just have to keep up the momentum which means to bed... on time... every night!

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good night Gracie and sweet dreams!

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Get well soon, Cindy... keep doing well with your sleep!

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Cleaning house. Having fun. Couple of inches of snow.

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
We had about 1 inch of snow this morning but it is pretty well gone now. I did manage to get my flowers planted just in time. I am getting 8 hours most nights. What is next?

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I made us a challenge graphic and trying to put it in I deleted all my prior signature. Not here certainly, but I am doing too much and under unfriendly fire. :blink:

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Oops... I'm sorry I let the ball drop on this... I will check the plan I made when I get home tonight and post as soon as possible.

+editor+
Member Avatar
Founder/mgr
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just get well first! :hug:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply