Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Is Hope is Overrated When We Are Ill?
Topic Started: Jul 27 2013, 07:06 AM (5,921 Views)
Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Is Hope is Overrated When We Are Ill? - 2013-07-26 09:00:44-04

Hope is Overrated When We Are Ill?
Hope can lead to disappointments, but if we stop hoping we are no different than those who don’t know Jesus. Lisa shares.

“Yet when I hoped for good, evil came; when I looked for light, then came darkness.” (Job 30:26)

Since I began Rest Ministries seventeen years ago, and then HopeKeepers groups, I have collected signs that say HOPE. (Have you noticed signs that say REST are hard to find?) I have collection of signs all over my home that say “hope.”

One day my mom asked my son, “Do you think your mom needs more hope signs?”
“No,” he replied.
“What does she need more of?”
“Faith!”

Yes, there are seasons in our life when we need to put some hopes aside and instead focus on our faith that God is going to work it all out exactly how it is meant to be. Why? Sometimes our hope is placed in the wrong thing–perhaps what we wish, instead of God’s will for our life.

But can hope be overrated? I would have to say. . . no way!

Romans 15:13 says, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

He is the God of hope and as we are filled with joy and peace because of His comfort we are able to overflow with hope.

Jeremiah 29:11 tells us, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

One of God purposes of filling us with the Holy Spirit is so that we can overflow with hope and His plans for our life include hope.

It sounds like hope is pretty important in our life according to the Lord, doesn’t it? In fact, 1 Thessalonians 4:13 explains one of the major differences between those who believe Jesus is Lord and those who do not: we “do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.”

Don’t lose hope! It is one of the most vital ways that God’s presence is felt and known in your life.

Prayer: God, there are days when my hope seems pointless. I hope and hope and then nothing happens or things only get worse. My illness can seem to hinder my hope, so give me strength to use it as a way to show Your hope to the world. Amen.

About the author:
Lisa Copen is the founder of Rest Ministries and she lives in San Diego with her husband and son. She is gradually learning how to balance motherhood, family, illness, and ministry, but she still knows it will be a lifetime lesson. You can see the books she has written, including, Why Can’t I Make People Understand? at the Rest Ministries shop.

How has hope been a part of your life? Do you avoid hoping because you are afraid it won’t come to pass? How do these thoughts on hope alter your perspective in how important it is?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Head Admin editor
Jul 27 2013, 07:06 AM

How has hope been a part of your life? Do you avoid hoping because you are afraid it won’t come to pass? How do these thoughts on hope alter your perspective in how important it is?
Well, I have something in common here! That is, hope; it has long been a favorite subject of mine.

For many years, hope accompanied me. I, too, have collected many a quote and verse and have been known to recite them from time to time. ;) So yes, hope has been a part of my life for I've read in the good word that,

Quote:

"We... glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

I've thought of it as a gift,

Quote:

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

But I also saw the connection with faith realizing I had a little less of that. The theologian, Charles Spurgeon tells us that,

Quote:

Faith goes up the stairs that love has built and looks out the window which hope has opened.

I realized the truth of that fading faith as my marriage crumbled, my mother died, my home was taken away, and lived the reality that,

Quote:

Hope deferred makes the heart sick...

In that sense, I did become a bit leery of it. Nevertheless, the other side of the previous verse is,

Quote:

...but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

Eventually, I came to appreciate even a somewhat-cynical view of hope,

Quote:

Hope, deceitful as it is, serves at least to lead us to the end of our lives by an agreeable route. ~ François de La Rochefoucauld

Quote:

Hope is generally a wrong guide, though it is good company along the way. ~George Saville

How can anyone argue (or resist a smile) at that?! And I found along with that existentialist Camus (please forgive me) that,

Quote:

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

So I come back nearly full-circle with the words of spiritualist writer, Sarah Ban Breathnach

Quote:

Expect to have hope rekindled.
Expect your prayers to be answered in wondrous ways.
The dry seasons in life do not last.

The poet Emily Dickinson wraps it up beautifully with,

Posted Image

gracie
No Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
I answered the questions within the article but not the title itself...

No, hope is not overrated with respects to illness. I firmly believe that it is always reasonable to hope.

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Grace, I thank you so much for the time, reflection, poem, picture, Word and the conclusion. One reader which is 64 and has Asthma, three dogs, , and on the second DH keeps on asking for prayer for this condition and she'll say, I receive that, then she'll PM, then send a note off and then doesn't come on for awhile and the cycle continues. She started her own team and has one member on it and one that just reads. The she posts, PTL, Jesus healed me. I feel good but now I need prayers for my three sons and DH and finances and major purchases and what not. It repeats on it is old hat. he once quit coming, no twice quit coming to my online Bible studies because she agrees to disagree. She said hope is not in Bible, but receiving by faith is.

On such as these we have no hope but faith that God will deal justly with all. God bless. Just to be a fly on the wall or walls that talk would drive one insane like her family members are. *sighs*
We all go through rough patches but we are to minister in Power and not replenish a saint of God!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Healthy Aging For A Lifetime · Next Topic »
Add Reply