Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Twelve Days Of Christmas Challenge 12/12/12; Until Christmas Eve
Topic Started: Dec 12 2012, 05:37 AM (1,426 Views)
Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
My pecan butter balls I make sound similiar to your mexican wedding cookies. Didn't make cookes this year, though.

We had a real tree every year growing up. We haven't one here in several years. Just a small one on the end table. Only thing I didn't like about real trees was the needles we found for months afterward.

Have a blessed evening
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Hello all! The cookies sound wonderful Dave :)
Hope you are all enjoying the Christmas Season!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

How are you doing, Ann? I know you miss your Dad.

Day 9
Eternal Glory
"There is no improving the future without disturbing the present." - Catherine Booth
Eternal Glory
If our present day situation disturbs us, perhaps there's something beyond our natural sight in the works--something not yet accomplished. The trouble we face today may be achieving an eternal purpose so much better than we can imagine. Remember that what we see right now is only temporary. What is most important, though we may not yet be able to see it, is eternal.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:morn:

Fayrda has her procedure to burn the nerves in her back at 8:00 am today. We will be leaving soon as they want her there one hour before. She then has to see an independent doctor at 11:00 for her wc case. Busy morning ahead for us.

I am remembering a different type of cut-out cookie my mother made that was like a sandwich cookie with jam filling. The top cookie had a hole in it so you could see the jam. Who wouldn't love cookies with jam?

Have a blessed and thankful Thursday, friends. :)
Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Hi, Dave! Love the cookie and wouldn't love the procedure.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Day 10
Forgiveness Focuses Forward
Look not back on yesterday
So full of failure and regret;
Look ahead and seek God's way--
All sin confessed you must forget.
- Dennis DeHaan
As we come to the end of the year, so often we look back with regret on things we did not accomplish or resolutions long forgotten. But sin is one thing we should never need to look back on with feelings of failure. If we have confessed our sins and asked God's forgiveness, we simply need to keep a forward focus toward the goal of pleasing Christ.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Cloudy and 36 degrees in WNY. Snow coming for tonight and tomorrow.

I am running out of cookies my mother used to make. I remember her always making chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies. For the peanut butter cookies, she always flattened the dough with a fork before baking leaving the ridges on top.

Fayrda dad is not doing so well. The palliative nurse wants to talk to one of the daughters, and Fayrda is going over in a little while as the nurse comes today. Not sure what the nurse wants but we will see. My mother-in-law is so tired and is having some trouble giving dad care. It may be time to get someone in full time or see about an assisted living facility. We are praying for God's perfect will in this.

Have a blessed and fantastic Friday, friends. :feed:
Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Hi all.

Dave, continuing to pray for Faydra's parents.

Going to a friends house tonight for awhile.

Cool today. Supposed to be in upper 20's next couple of nights. Brrrrrrrrr.

Have a blessed afternoon.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Dave, chocolate chip and then peanut butter are two different cookies, so good job. I wonder why we always pressed the peanut butter ones with a fork? I did too when I made them.

:ghug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I made it to work this morning. The roads were very icy. I slide around quite a bit. I must have kept my guardian angel busy this morning! I was able to get my paperwork done and turned in. Had lunch out with my coworkers to celebrate Christmas. Ran some errands and now I am resting at home. I brought most of my food home as I am still feeling under the weather. I will be going to visit family in the morning and back Sunday evening.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Traveling mercies are warranted, Cindy!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

We went and met with Fayrda's dad's nurse. He had a high heart rate yesterday and was having trouble breathing. She wanted to see him again today with other family members there. We discussed what more can be done, and the nurse is recommended some additional medication and possibly sleeping with oxygen at night. She will be discussing all this with the doctor soon. A personal aide comes to take care of Dad once per week, and we all agreed it would be best if the aide comes twice a week now. Less pressure on Mom and more care that Dad needs.

The nurse is not sure if this is a temporary set-back or if Dad is getting worse. Time will tell on the new medications.

We are continuing to pray for strength, healing and wisdom in this situation.

We got some snow flurries and wet snow earlier, but more is coming and we should have 2-4 inches by morning. Happy Winter! :dave: :)
Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

I see Cindy up really early.

Glad more care will be given to FIL. It is difficult.

Day 11
Hindsight
"Life has to be lived forwards but it can only be understood backwards."
- Søren Kierkegaard
Hindsight
If we could walk backwards through life, so many times of doubt and questioning would be erased from our path. But sadly, we would have missed those desperate moments of trusting in the Lord, and clinging to him for guidance.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
:ha: Mercy indeed! I will be traveling with a cranky man and car sick dog! :car: The whole family except the chickens has decided to go with me! I am sure we will have a great time. My daughter wants me to bring Foo. She loves her. The family wanted to see Martin and extended a special welcome as he usually doesn't go with me. My poor mother is trying to decide what to cook to feed two celiacs and a man with swallowing difficulties for a Christmas dinner! :cook: My daughter is bringing lots of gluten free goodies. :party: :dog:
Edited by Cindy marie, Dec 22 2012, 05:05 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Sounds joyful! :choir: Whistle hymns. ;)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Have a safe and happy trip, Cindy marie.

Currently 29 degrees in WNY. We got about 3 inches of snow overnight. Just light flurries expected for today.

We plan on meeting our dear friend Sande for breakfast pretty soon. Then some grocery shopping.

I think I have run out of cookies. I can share about something my mother made that she called "ruskiebolki" pronounced "rookyebookee". It was a Polish term that meant "Russian rolls". She would make a filling of cooked ground beef and onions, and another of sauteed shredded cabbage. These fillings were put into a sweet yeast dough that was formed into rolls and baked. We would have them every Christmas eve for many years. I've made them a few times and the are delicious.

Have a blessed and super Saturday, friends. :) :dave:
Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Wow, Dave, I wish I knew your Mom and the richness of your traditions and holidays!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Hi all.

Cindy, have a safe trip and a good time.

Dave, all the recipes you mentioned sound great. Resting back today again. Did one load of laundry and made dinner. That was it.

Have a blessed evening
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

One of Dick's friends sent over a batch of cookies. The were small and twisted that a crescent roll and they had a nut filling. Fortunately, I didn't get into them but Dick did.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Day 12
Look not back on yesterday
So full of failure and regret;
Look ahead and seek God's way--
All sin confessed you must forget.
- Dennis DeHaan
As we come to the end of the year, so often we look back with regret on things we did not accomplish or resolutions long forgotten. But sin is one thing we should never need to look back on with feelings of failure. If we have confessed our sins and asked God's forgiveness, we simply need to keep a forward focus toward the goal of pleasing Christ.

Thought I would post a gluten free cookie:

Gluten free vegan cookies

3 large, ripe bananas, pureed
1 tsp. vanilla extract
� cup warm coconut, olive or canola oil
2 cups rolled gluten free oats
2/3 cup almond meal
1/3 cup coconut, shredded and unsweetened
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. fine grain sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
6 to 7 oz. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Mix bananas, coconut, canola oil, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Combine all dry ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a separate bowl. Put together contents of two bowls, and stir until obtaining a homogeneous mixture. Add chocolate chips to the dough. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and start dropping by 2 tsp. of dough, leaving 1 inch between them. Bake 12 to 15 min.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Those gluten free cookies sound good, Candy.

My mother would also bake stollens at Christmas time. This was like a sweet bread dough with dried fruit, similar to a fruit cake. Very good.

Currently 31 degrees and cloudy in WNY. Russell, Fayrda and I are planning to attend the 10:30 am service at the Alliance church. Geordan said he would come with us and we are hoping for that.

"Father, we worship You. Thank You for the gift of Your only Son, Jesus. Bless us today with the joy of Your presence. Give us peace and guide us with Your wisdom. In Jesus name, amen."

Have a blessed and sanctified Son-day, friends. :)
:worthy: :glory: :lord:
Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Dick's favorite cookie is a stollen. I have never made them. I tasted them and didn't Like them. Thank you for your prayer today, Dave, and may we find extra meaning in our worship today.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
My mom didn't put up a tree this year so we lured them out of the room and set her little "tree" from the mantel on a stool at the center of the room and piled all the gifts around it! Aren't we ornery? She raised us so I guess it is her fault. You will notice who is "in" the tree and therefore the center of our celebration. My son-in-law cut off my head. I am in the grey pants and red shirt. That photo is enough to remind me I don't need so many holiday goodies!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 602757_524739340879197_1134432654_n.jpg (67.83 KB)
Edited by Cindy marie, Dec 24 2012, 06:56 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
We arrived home safely last night. It was wonderful to see my family. However I think our family get togethers are more like National Lampoon Christmas than Norman Rockwell. 2 dog fights and Foo peed right in the middle of my Mom's air mattress. :bag: I ate way too many gluten free goodies. :guilt: My son and granddaughter didn't make it. The water pump went out on his truck 2 hours after they were on the road. He was able to get back home but was not able to find parts and get it fixed in time to visit. :sad: I received lots of gluten free goodies as gifts. I have orange cranberry bread from my nephew and his fiance. I have fruit cocktail cookies from my daughter, (did she read my mind?) and a big bag of goodies from the Silly Yak bakery in Wisconsin. Does anyone know a diet that includes LOTS of sugary treats? :joke: I plan today to portion most of it out into individual servings and freeze it for later. Must also make a quick trip to the store and then we will settle in to REST! What a wonderful thing. :sleep: Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

angelic
No Avatar
Trustee
Cindy, I went to pull up your picture, and was told the site was a 'malicous/ virus site' and shouldn't be put on my computer. I have a very tight control on my Norton virus/security program, so it might be that (?), but wanted you to know, and am wondering if anyone else got the same message.

Having sat and read the 3 pages of this Challenge, I wish I had been more observent and joined in here. I loved reading all the memories.....may they always be shared..........

Offline Profile Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Hi all.

Cindy, glad you made it home.

Angelic, I had the same message about virus, so didn't open it.

My grandma and mom would make a nut bread. It was an Austrian bread, Can't remember the name of it. That was one of my favorite things about Christmas. Haven't had any in years. I have made it a couple of times over the years, but it takes alot of time.

Have a blessed day
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Sorry Angelic. Was from Facebook. My son-in-law posted it there from his phone yesterday.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Good morning everyone! May you all have a blessed Christmas!

Christmas is indeed a special time of year for me as we celebrate the birth of Christ! However, when I was younger, my major recollection was eating sweets and opening gifts! Now that I am old with limited financial resources, I pray that I will not allow the Christmas season to sadden me because it is all about our Savior, and not about me! Merry Christmas everyone!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Blessed Christmas Tide, all. And Cindy I was able to get the picture up with no scoldings! Thank you for posting and tell pee pee foo foo she can relax at home now! How did Marty do?

Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Great chatting her too! I had no trouble seeing the picture, Cindy marie. Very nice.

This has been a fun challenge. I remember one more cookie my mother made - 'thumbprints'. A familiar cookie where you put balls of dough on a baking sheet and press your thumb in the middle and put jam in the depression and bake. She rolled the balls in egg whites and then choppled nuts before putting them on the baking sheet.

As I said in the Strive For Five challenge, we will be taking my dad out to dinner sometime today. Tomorrow we will go over to Fayrda's parents for a while.

Merry Christmas Eve, friends!

Posted Image
Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Never did thumb prints but you sure took to this challenge, Dave.

I do have a question. We were given small pizza style slice of shortbread. Neither of us know if this is a sweet or not.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:noon:

Shortbread is usually sweet, like a cookie. Guess you will have to taste it to be sure. :yum:
Goto Top

DevotedHeart:)
Member Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Hope and pray everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!! My mum, my kids and I are going to my aunts house to watch movies all night. Sort of a tradition for us. We decided to do different kinds of appetizers for the night, so a very light supper of soup tonight.

I'm making spinach dip. My aunt Lynne is making cocktail meatballs, and mum made pigs in a blanket. We have some pizza too. Plus who knows what else!!!!

Need to relax a bit more this afternoon as I have only slept for four hours.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
Hope everyone has a blessed Christmas
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Nice to see your gathering, Lenise. Barbara, Merry Christmas Eve. Dave, I was hoping it would be a special bread.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
:night: We went to get groceries and stopped at the post office. Then we took a LONG nap. :snoop: It is nice to be home again. Marty did very well. He even drove the whole trip which was great because I am still dragging from the bug earlier in the week. We went out to eat for the first time in a long time today. Marty has had so much trouble swallowing we had quit going out. I asked him if he felt like getting something to eat and he did. He had little problem with eating and swallowing. :deat: I had a hard time controlling my emotions, It was so good to watch him be able to eat. I was crying in Ponderosa. :wub: My family that hadn't seen him in a month were surprised at how much better he looked. I just thank God that Marty is doing so well and it is the best Christmas gift anyone could have given me. He has chemo Wednesday morning early and on Thursday PET and CT scans that will tell us how he is doing. I believe his improvement is miraculous and goes beyond what chemo could have done in 3 weeks. (I pray over every drop of chemo that drips in the IV that God will bless it and use it to heal Marty and glorify His name as the healer.) :an: Foo has done nothing but sleep since we got back. I think it was pretty stressful for her. I did not punish her for peeing on the air mattress. She was having a rough time. I just cleaned up the mess. :a4:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

You sure can get an amen from me!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Merry Christmas!! We will be celebrating at home today. Unfortunately Marty seems to have caught the virus I had last week. I hope it won't interfere with chemo tomorrow. I have a small piece of ham I will put in the crock pot and some sweet potatoes. I had planned to bake but we were gifted so much I have decided not too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

We had light snow last evening and it looks beautiful. We celebrated with Russell and Geordan when Geordan got home from his shift at 11:15 last night. We gave the boys their stockings and then went to Dennys. Afterwards we drove around looking at lights. We were going to keep driving until they fell asleep and then carry them up to their beds, but we realized that no longer works when they are 21 and 23 years old. :ha:

Praying you all are having a joyous Christmas Day! :)
Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Oh, thank goodness I didn't have to send you the most enabling dad of the year award, Dave. Very funny!

Cindy, let this not interfere with Marty's chemo. It might. May you two lovebirds enjoy this day together.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ann
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
Candy, I do still miss my Dad. This is the 5th Christmas without him. And there are so many others in our family that have died this year. There are many people missing their loved ones and I pray that God will comfort them and be especially near them today. I am thankful I still have my Mom and that our family has good health. I am especially thankful for my Savior!!!
Merry Christmas to each of you!!! Love you all!
:ghug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

DevotedHeart:)
Member Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Hope and pray everyone has had a wonderful Christmas!!!

Just relaxing here a bit till I have to leave for work. At least it will be quiet there tonight as we don't reopen until 6 am tomorrow. Probably will do a lot of cleaning and stocking tonight.

Stayed at my aunt's house till 5 o'clock this morning watching movies. We had a good time. Ate way too much food, which is why I was shocked that I had a new low weigh in this morning.

I need to stay focused this week and be down more by next Monday!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Isn't today just the 2nd day of Christmas?

Well, I was able to schedule myself for a short shift at work but I have much to accomplish so could use some prayers and positive thinking on my part! I'll be training a new employee this afternoon, and encouraged to have new people on my staff to help me take our department in the right direction.

Time for some exercise, and a leisurely breakfast for a change!

Lenise, so nice to see your smile!

Have a great day, Gracetoday! :grace:
Goto Top

Banned account
Member Avatar
Trustee
I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas.

Cindy, hope Marty does well with his chemo today.

We had a good but quiet Christmas yesterday. John cooked a turkey breast on the grill.

Have a blessed evening
Offline Profile Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Mike had chosen for us the 12 days before Christmas, rather than starting with Christmas and it worked out fine with recipes, hymns and this year cookies. On page 1 it is listed: "This is a challenge to simply come and post here as often as you can between December 12 and December 24.

Praying for all my dear friends in Christ.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

This was a great challenge. I am now going to close this thread so we don't get confused.
Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Locked Topic