Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
editor
TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED CHALLENGE 7/1 THRU 12/30, 2013
WELCOME TO GRACE TODAY DIETERS!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can only view a few of our forums. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use the many member-only features such as post, reply, upload, view, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls.

Registration is simple, fast and completely free. Simply click on the 'Register' option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and input your information as prompted. You must use a valid, traceable e-mail account. Your registration will be validated by the board Administrator, editor and you will receive a welcome e-mail message. You will then be free to login and enjoy the blessings of our Grace Today Dieters family.

NOTE: If you have an e-mail service that blocks spam, our welcome e-mail may be automatically sent to your "spam" folder or immediately deleted. Please check the settings on your spam blocker in your e-mail system. If you do not receive a welcome e-mail from Grace Today Dieters within a few days, please come back and try logging in with the user name and password selected. Thank you.

Please, no spammers or those joining to promote their own web sites, ministries or other charitable endeavors. Thank you.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Oatmeal; Request for Recipes
Topic Started: Feb 8 2011, 10:10 AM (785 Views)
Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! However, unfortunately, most of my daily allotted calories are used up during this meal.

Recently I rediscovered oatmeal. I had it this morning with raisins and canned pears. No added sugar. It was delicious!

Can you share some of your favorite oatmeal recipes, without added sugar? Thank you.

:)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DevotedHeart:)
Member Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
Any kind of fruit is good on it!! My favorite is strawberries. I used to add apple juice to oatmeal and some walnuts. Yummm!!!!!

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm not sure if honey counts as "without sugar" but I usually put a tsp of that in my oatmeal and the natural sweetener Stevia. Sometimes I put in some chopped dates instead of the honey. I also like to add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed or sesame seeds for added nutrition and allow extra water so consistency is not too thick.
Quote Post Goto Top

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

From the diet nag: Put Oats In Your Cold Morning Feedbag
A hot stick to the ribs breakfast doesnít have to be loaded with fat, calories and sugar. Good old fashioned oatmeal is a great source of complex carbohydrates (the good kind) that will get your day of to a great start and curb potential cravings in the first part of your day. Plain instant oatmeal in a cup with some added raisins and even a few walnuts makes a great quick breakfast. Try some other dried fruits for variety. The oats also add some other healthy benefits to your diet. Donít do it every day, but itís a great treat on a cold morning.

TODAY: DONíT FORGET TO EXERCISE, EVEN IF ITíS JUST GOING UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS A FEW TIMES.

DevotedHeart:)
Member Avatar
Award Member
[ * ]
editor
Feb 11 2011, 08:11 AM
TODAY: DONíT FORGET TO EXERCISE, EVEN IF ITíS JUST GOING UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS A FEW TIMES.

I feel like I'm always going up and down steps between going to the basement -- where Steven plays his xbox and the cats are -- up to the second floor where our bedroom is and then to the attic - where Katey's room is.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
This morning I prepared oatmeal in applejuice with raisins, and later added some leftover crushed pineapple!

Very good!

:bam:

angelic
No Avatar
Trustee
I do mine with diced apple -- cinnamon and almonds ~~~ OR....PB---apple and some type of nut for crunch ~~~~ OR... Blueberries and almonds or walnuts

Lots of good ideas, and until recently this was my main breakfast....then grandson came along and it is easier - and quieter- to grab a bowl of cereal....going back to oatmeal--stay full longer --- and warmer [if that makes any sense at all]

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

Overnight Oatmeal Recipe
Quick Info: Servings
Contains Wheat/Gluten
Vegetarian
GERD-Friendly
Heart-Healthy
Diabetes-Friendly

Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 193, Saturated Fat: 0g, Sodium: 77mg, Dietary Fiber: 9g, Total Fat: 3g, Carbs: 34g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Protein: 6g
Carb Choices: 1.5
Recipe Source:
Prep Time: 5 mins
Rest Time: 8 h
Total Time: 8 h 5 mins
Ingredients
8 cup(s) water
2 cup(s) oats, steel cut
1/3 cup(s) cranberries, dried
1/3 cup(s) apricot(s), dried, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Preparation
1. Combine water, oats, dried cranberries, dried apricots and salt in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Turn heat to low. Put the lid on and cook until the oats are tender and the porridge is creamy, 7 to 8 hours.

Stovetop Variation:
1. Halve the above recipe to accommodate the size of most double boilers: Combine 4 cups water, 1 cup steel-cut oats, 3 tablespoons dried cranberries, 3 tablespoons dried apricots and 1/8 teaspoon salt in the top of a double boiler.

2. Cover and cook over boiling water for about 1 1/2 hours, checking the water level in the bottom of the double boiler from time to time.

Head Admin editor
Member Avatar
Founder

I am going to try this one.

Eggs-n-Oats

1 egg
2 egg whites
1/2 c. rolled oats
2 oz skim milk (just more than a splash)

Mix all ingredients well.

Spray non-stick spray in frying pan. Add all ingredients; scramble as you would with ordinary eggs. When eggs-n-oats reach desired texture (just like scrambled eggs--wet, dry, somewhere in between), remove from heat, plate.

There are lots of options for seasoning such as cayenne pepper, hot sauce, honey, berries, banana, cinnamon, vanilla, etc.

Delete
No Avatar
Trustee
Sounds Yummy!

Cindy marie
Member Avatar
Hallelujah Member
I like dried cranberries and a few chopped pecans in mine or apples and cinnamon.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Soup's On · Next Topic »
Add Reply